PDA

View Full Version : Etihad & Air Berlin to Integrate 787 Programmes

Iver
15th Mar 2012, 23:25
Interesting. I'd like to understand the strategy behind that. I suppose Etihad could use Air Berlin to deploy many of it's own potentially "excess" 787s (Etihad could have 65 787s with all options taken). Air Berlin already have 15 firm 787 orders (and more options) starting in 2015. Personally, I'd like to see Air Berlin deploy the 787s and challenge Lufthansa on key worldwide routes out of Germany (and perhaps more of Europe) given the beneficial 787 economics. Etihad's deep pockets would help that effort... Should be interesting to see how other Gulf carriers (like Qatar) respond to this European "expansion." Additionally, it will be interesting to see how the highly-protective Euro regulators respond when Lufthansa starts to cry about "foreign" investment/invasion.

Regardless, I am sure the Air Berlin pilots would also welcome more 787 pilot slots. :ok:

Photos: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Boeing/Boeing-787-8-Dreamliner/2027640/L/%26sid%3dad7300ac6a000e274faf23f19f136179)

See article:

Airberlin (Berlin) and Etihad Airways (Abu Dhabi) have announced plans to integrate their Boeing 787 Dreamliner programs, affecting a total of 56 firm aircraft – which is more Dreamliners than are on order with any other airline – and saving millions of dollars for both carriers.

A combined Etihad Airways-Airberlin team, led by Etihad Airways, will oversee the integration program, which will see the two airlines share infrastructure, pool maintenance, develop joint training programs, and streamline purchasing activity for engines, rotables, avionics and inflight entertainment systems, as well as work jointly on product development for the new aircraft type.

In December 2011 Etihad Airways increased its stake in Airberlin to 29.21 percent, making it the single biggest shareholder in Europe’s sixth largest airline.

The move came just days after Etihad Airways announced it was buying 10 additional Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners, taking its total order to 41, with 25 options and purchasing rights, making the UAE flag carrier the largest operator of the aircraft type in the world.

Airberlin has 15 Boeing 787s on order with options and purchase rights on a further 15 aircraft. Delivery will begin in 2015.