PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Radio in Abu Dhabi/Dubai

Captain Greaser
15th Mar 2012, 16:36
I'm heading off shortly and wonder if any other aviators are hams in the above cities. Whats the story in getting your ham license converted from Europe to A6 and putting a beam antenna on top of your villa???

Laker
16th Mar 2012, 04:42
A cadet once told me he had some radio equipment shipped to his house because he wanted to practice listening to tower communications. He was fined 10,000AED by the authorities for shipping illegal items into the UAE. I'm guessing that they would not take kindly to Ham radio operators in the region. Be careful

Captain Greaser
16th Mar 2012, 11:03
I'm aware that I would have to hold a UAE Ham license to import my equipment. I allready hold a EU license. Just wondering if there are any other Hams down there that know the ropes. When I was shown round the villas I did notice a couple of Ham antenna's. Thanks for the caution anyway.
John ei5hl

checcker10
17th Mar 2012, 14:12
Think you'll find it's illegal. As the above said if a local gets fined theyre not gonna let an expat do it.
I know plenty of guys here who have had transceivers taken off them at customs.
We all hold RT licences but that means jack sh..t here.
Good luck

fringhtok
17th Mar 2012, 15:48
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=emirates+amateur+radio+association)

:cool::cool::cool:

Captain Greaser
18th Mar 2012, 01:47
Right guys its not illegal. Ham radio is legal in UAE and I'm just wondering if there are any ex-pats that know the ropes of transfering a "CEPT" EU license to a UAE one. When I was shown around the villas in Dubai, 10 years ago, there were a few ham aerials on the roofs so somebody has done it. Its Etihad I'm off to but I can live in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Captain Greaser
19th Mar 2012, 16:19
Thanks Fringhtok for the link. Off course Amateur Radio isn't illegal. Have been in touch with some of the organisations listed . But really like to talk to someone like myself. I.e. someone in the industry that's a ham and as got back on the air in UAE.

offroad7
25th Mar 2012, 06:48
its certain short wave comms that use/scan certain frequencies that are illegal. HAM is ok... both types...