PDA

View Full Version : NZ Instrument rating renewal questions

jkeg
15th Mar 2012, 13:48
I had completed a NZ CAA MECIR back in 2004 and have not used the instrument rating sense. Does this mean I would have to do another MECIR flight test and IFR law exam to regain my rating?

Thanks
Jkeg

mcrowe
15th Mar 2012, 20:32
As far as I'm aware there is nothing in the rules stating that you need to resit an IFR law exam or do a flight test. You just need to get up to scratch to do an IFR renewal flight.

Although obviously it would be wise to read up on the IFR law stuff before this as you will be questioned on it and if its been a while then a lot may have changed.

Have a read of CAA part 61 it's all in there anyway.

Hope this helps.

notaplanegeek
15th Mar 2012, 22:37
IFR renewal, but like an initial issue from memory

NZFlyingKiwi
16th Mar 2012, 06:35
Yes, basically it's a renewal, not a true flight test, but because you're pretty uncurrent you can expect that the examiner would essentially treat it as if it was an initial issue flight test.

jkeg
16th Mar 2012, 09:32
Ok Thanks guys for the info.

still not 100% on the IFR law may need to give CAA a call reguarding this one
as I know there is an expairy of 5 years but I think this only if you are still to do an initial issue IFR flight test.

Dynamite9585
16th Mar 2012, 10:26
a renewal should do it.
i have had my head in part 61 myself at the moment, hope someone here can give me a pointer in the right direction.

I got my IFR on a glass cockpit, do i need to "convert" to a steam driven cockpit? or is tea the step up and analogue is a given? i can't seem to find it anywhere, in-fact the only place TEA is mentioned is in the AC. there is no mention of TEA in the part.

thanks

Oktas8
16th Mar 2012, 11:31
5-year law expiry only applies to licenses. Ratings are held for a lifetime, therefore no law exam must be sat for the expired IR. (But comments above about what the examiner might ask are spot on.) Refer rule 61.37, recent flight experience.

There is only ever one initial issue IR test. However, annual competency checks are separate for TEA and non-TEA aircraft. If you haven't done a competency check in a round-dial aircraft within the past 12 months, you must do one prior to IFR flight in the said aircraft. Refer AC61_17, page 6.

A money-saving note however: approach aid endorsements are not specific to TEA or to non-TEA. Therefore, if you're current on all the approach aids you care about, you need only do the bare minimum IR renewal flight in the round-dial aircraft. You don't have to repeat all the different approaches again!

Dynamite9585
16th Mar 2012, 11:56
thanks Oktas.
I managed to track that down after i wrote the question.
looks like i'm up for a bit of a wallet reduction to do that, as i would also have to type rate :(