PDA

View Full Version : Standard Messages for Emergencies?

Autanimous
14th Mar 2012, 19:38
I am not a pilot (though I am studying at University to be an Astronautical engineer, and have many private pilot friends) however I am writing a short story and wish to use the most accurate phrases and wording possible. I was hoping you guys could give me advice on how a professional pilot on an airline, or the flight crew, would instruct the passengers of a specific emergency scenario and how they themselves might react.

The specific scenario is this:
A flight from Honolulu, Hawaii is going to Manila, Philippines , and are an hour and a half in the air from take-off when all correspondence (radar or similar things) to the west of the aircraft cease to transmit as well as all satellite data. Honolulu and everything to the East are fine, and the equipment there will still be able to transmit, so the plane will be able to turn around and return. The airport in Honolulu would be able to inform them of the plane's inability to land anywhere to the west as soon as they themselves found out about the incident. (roughly 15-25 minutes after the initial cease of information from the west)

So, I presume that the initial lack of information from satellite and other systems would inform the crew there was a problem, from which they would attempt to contact other locations to find out about the incident. Upon learning it was not their aircraft which was the issue and that there would be issue landing anywhere to the west, the smartest plan of action would be to turn around and land back at Honolulu. Once returning, it seems likely that they would have to fly circles until a landing strip opened up with all the other aircraft whom were heading west attempting to land at Honolulu as well.

So what would the pilot announce to the passengers? What would the pilot tell the other members of the crew? How would you react were you in that situation?

Thank you to anyone whom responds. The 'short story' starts off from the perspective of a passenger on this flight, however I use a broad 'Alternating Person Narrative Mode' and thus would be able to show the crew's reactions as well.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Mar 2012, 19:42
The Flight Deck crew would inform the cabin crew and passengers that due to a technical problem the aircraft was returning to its departure point, or somewhere close to it. I suspect that the pax would be informed that it was not a technical problem with the aircraft, rather it was with the ground ATC facilities. It would not be any form of "emergency", just and en-route diversion.

What do you mean about circling until a landing strip was opened? There are several airfields in Hawaii to which aircraft could divert - no big deal really.

Autanimous
16th Mar 2012, 02:38
Ah, I must have over-assumed how many aircraft would have to divert to Hawaii. It is interesting that the Pilot might not find out much about the details, but it does make sense. Thank you for your response!

Is there like a standard intercom message the pilot would relay?