PDA

View Full Version : Ybbn rnav rnp ar

Noknoipobin
14th Mar 2012, 15:29
According to ybbn rnp ar approach ,there are rnav-m,rnav-p and rnav-u(rnp) approaches .I would like to know what m,u and p are.
Normally when there are more than one app,these are identified by z y or x and when more than one circling ,these are identified by a b or c.
I am not sure about these letters.(no reference) ,please help me .

PT6A
14th Mar 2012, 16:05
I think it is just to spot the difference when selecting from the MCDU between RNAV and RNP (AR) approaches.

In our box we have RNAV - RNAV and then company RNP's are shown as RNV (not the best in my opinion... Don't know why they could not just put RNP)

Denti
14th Mar 2012, 17:29
Interesting, "my" chart set for brisbane does not contain any RNAV approaches like with M, U or P lettering. Could be that LIDO doesn't map them, we just have normal RNAV (GNSS) approaches, no RNP AR ones. Anyway, what is interesting as well is that all charts are new, valid from march this year, either 1st or 8th.

*Edit* Found them, LIDO only mentions them on the minima page as RNAV MIKE/PAPA/UNIFORM (RNP). Looks they just used a different letter range for numbering them. Have seen the same with other conventional NPA's elsewhere where they would use A-C for numbering reasons instead of Z-X.

FlightPathOBN
16th Mar 2012, 23:58
Those were the designations for the custom RNP approaches. You must be flying QANTAS?
In AUS, they were a bit more creative, (so was the guy naming waypoints) with the letters more or less designating the direction the procedure was coming from...even though we had to name them that way, I was still never sure how the got to M,P,U, and others...

Suffice to say, the public RNP procedures are w,y,z,etc but not according to minima..

Addition: The letter designations are used for the transition designation, so the RW19 RNAV-M, will be a different procedure that the RW19-RNAV-P. The straight in segment will be the same, but the letters designate the different transitions....

flyingins
17th Mar 2012, 00:22
On Australian charts;

* 'A' STAR leads to an ILS.
* 'B' STAR leads to a VOR.
* 'D' STAR leads to an NDB.
* 'V' STAR leads to a Visual approach.
* 'Z' STAR leads to an RNAV/GNSS.

On NDB/VOR approaches an 'A' suffix refers to a non-runway aligned (circling) procedure.

On ILS approach an "X" suffix refers to CATII/III minima. A "Y" suffix refers to DME fixes using the airport VOR/DME and a "Z" suffix refers to DME fixes using the ILS/DME (except at YBBN19 when they're the wrong way around!).

I'm not RNP-AR approved, but I can only deduce the following;

* 'M' STAR leads to a unique RNP-AR (eg - YBBN19 'Quiet 1M' - Noise Abatement STAR).
* 'P' STAR is for use in VMC.
* 'U' STAR is for use in IMC.

At this time I believe only Qantas B738s, Jetstar A320/321s and Air New Zealand A320s are RNP-AR approach approved in Australia. Each of those airlines has had specific RNP-AR approach charts created for use off the end of the respective 'M', 'P' & 'U' STAR charts.

I don't think LIDO creates these charts. Certainly Navaerus and perhaps the Australian DAPs and Jeppesen too.

I'm happy to be corrected but I hope this all makes some sort of sense!

Allegedly.