PDA

View Full Version : Military aviation to transport animals for testing labs?

airborne_artist
14th Mar 2012, 15:09
Ministers seek deal to save animal testing imports being taken over by military (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9142442/Ministers-seek-deal-to-save-animal-testing-imports-being-taken-over-by-military.html)

"Ministers are urgently trying to broker a deal to allow the import of animals for testing to continue saying it would be a "pity" if they ended up having to be brought in on RAF aircraft because of pressure from activists."

Science minister David Willetts admitted scientists were facing a "serious problem" and said the Government had been trying to hammer out an agreement between the research and transport industries to allow the movement of the animals to go on.

He said: "It would be a pity if we ended up saying that this process of transporting animals had to be nationalised and taken over by the military. I very much hope that does not arise."

It could be nationalised without being done by the chaps in light blue, surely?

BEagle
14th Mar 2012, 16:24
Even if the military was tasked to fly these animals in, I doubt whether they'd get beyond the gates.

We had a bad enough time in this part of the world during the Hill Grove Farm cat protests of 1997: BBC News | UK Politics | Controversial cat farm closes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/419339.stm)

In the era of Tw@tter and Far$ebook, the word would soon get around if any military blockade run of laboratory animals was to be attempted. Perhaps a few sympathetic Movers might 'accidentally' release a few dozen rats around the cargo hangar.......:uhoh:

chopper2004
14th Mar 2012, 16:28
Could make a pigs ear out of this if not careful or end up as the airborne equivalent of Noah's Ark :D :ok: :=

Also hasten to mention that we're all could end up as pigs in sh*t and mud on our faces :)

Though its not the first time, the MoD have been asked to assist in animal related matters? The Foot and Mouth cull of over a decade ago, whereby the sharp knives of the best butchers from the RLC could provide for an excellent silver service :Dhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif at a remote site set up by the MAFF

On a more serious note, so I take it it could easily fall onto JHC's patch as it be more convenient to land on say Huntingdon Life Sciences patch. Or use the limited resources of the AT fleet and land at nearby Wyton for transportation up the A1 :)

Depending on how serious is the situation with the animal rights lobby especially the more extremist of them.

Tableview
14th Mar 2012, 16:33
Apparently UK carriers have refused to transport animals for research purpose - two 'foreign' airlines have been mentioned. Purely as a matter of interest, does anyone know which they are?

On a news bulletin this morning someone was discussing this and mentioned 'indirect flights, for example via Frankfurt'. I'm not sure if was purely an example or based on fact.

pr00ne
14th Mar 2012, 16:40
chopper2004,

Huntingdon Life Sciences is a derelict ruin once occupied by a now defunct and bankrupt company.

Good grounds to expect exactly what BEagle foresees here, and a good thing too.

racedo
14th Mar 2012, 16:40
Its NOT Militarys job to transport animals for private companies to research diseases so they can invent drugs which they will make sheds loads of money from while paying little or nothing for transportation costs...............what a mouthful.

Isn't there enough Chavs that can be experimented on.................:E

Red Line Entry
14th Mar 2012, 17:01
What irritated me this morning on the 'Today' programme was that when Willetts was asked "Could RAF Hercules aircraft be used?", his answer was "We don't want to use the Army for this"

Trivia I know, but it shows what a lack of understanding a government minister has of his country's military!

BEagle
14th Mar 2012, 17:24
Were such a blockade running flight to land at Brize Norton, I'm sure the local MP would enjoy the spectacle of protesters on his metaphorical doorstep....

What's his name again?

Specaircrew
14th Mar 2012, 17:30
Surely the whole problem would be solved if the low life so called 'animal rights protestors' put themselves forward for drug testing instead of the Bunny Rabbits, thereby killing two birds with one stone ;-)

Ken Scott
14th Mar 2012, 17:47
Could RAF Hercules aircraft be used?

Well it's not as if they haven't got enough to do.......

Hardly what you'd describe as a key role for military AT.

BEagle
14th Mar 2012, 17:49
The C-130 probably wouldn't meet animal transportation welfare standards anyway.....

No slur intended, but whereas humans can wear ear defenders and know what to expect, a small animal subjected to the noise and vibration of travelling in the back of Albert would undoubtedly suffer a lot of stress.

But at least they'd be better off than if they'd travelled in a Nimrod - they'd doubtless have ended up in the Honkers Stew......

tarantonight
14th Mar 2012, 18:31
'Apparently UK carriers have refused to transport animals for research purpose - two 'foreign' airlines have been mentioned. Purely as a matter of interest, does anyone know which they are?'

Air France / KLM are subject of regular and ongoing protests from Animal Rights groups.

TN.

Pontius Navigator
14th Mar 2012, 19:57
There must be a limit to what the military is expected to do. Would the task be defence of the realm? HMGs interests? MACP?

MACP for the firemen's strike was one thing, enhancing airport security or for the games, but covering for what is effectively a civil air strike is something else again.

When you join the military you expect the chance of being shot at and shoot back but this?

Tourist
14th Mar 2012, 19:58
Animals on RAF AT wouldn't be allowed anyway.

The animal rights lobby would never accept animals being put through the horrors of South Cerney. No animal should have to suffer that.

"Cruel and unusual" doesn't do it justice...

750XL
14th Mar 2012, 20:17
Lufthansa transport a large amount of mice on a weekly basis from FRA to a large UK airport.

BEagle
14th Mar 2012, 20:34
Are you sure that's 'mice' as in the plural of mouse?

Lufthansa do indeed have a MICE programme, but that means 'Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Events'.... http://imex-frankfurt.com/dynamic/exhib2011/pdf/1032.pdf

NutLoose
14th Mar 2012, 20:43
Where would they hold them? When I was at Odious someone wrote into Farmers Weekly enquiring how many pigs could be housed in a well lit heated building of XYZ dimensions, surprisingly the number in the printed reply was significantly less than the amount of airman living in the said space.

Pontius Navigator
14th Mar 2012, 20:53
NutLoose,

Probably better flight rations too and served on proper dishes not in a cardboard box.

BEagle
14th Mar 2012, 22:24
When I was at Odious someone wrote into Farmers Weekly enquiring how many pigs could be housed in a well lit heated building of XYZ dimensions

My late father and his business partner once housed a couple of thousand very contented piggies in the buildings which had once been the domestic area at RAF Merryfield. Including the old Officers' Mess - which some said actually improved the standard of behaviour of the occupants. The space each pig had within which to trot around was very generous and they thrived in such a comfortable environment.

Courtney Mil
14th Mar 2012, 22:34
We had a pink rabbit in the CGY Mess once. But we can't talk about that.

:oh:

BEagle
14th Mar 2012, 22:38
We had a pink rabbit in the CGY Mess once.

One of the most amusing events of the time - or so I've heard. Particularly since Bastard Bill tried to stop any mention of the event leaking out.

Which merely ensured that the whole F-4 force knew about it within hours!

chopper2004
14th Mar 2012, 23:17
pr00ne, beg your pardon, I have a friend who worked as a technician at HLS since 05 but I see from her current Fakebook status, she's looking for work so probably got laid off.

Pfizer was one of the tennant units at HLS and stateside they fly the S-76 and Gulfstream GV, the latter being a regular visit to Europe such as the World Aids Conference. I see the chief pilot from time to time at Heli Expo over the years.

Therefore, the guys and girls in Whitehall could ask the CEO of Pfizer for use of his lovely Gulfstream to assist in this task peut-etre? :):ok:

Laarbruch72
15th Mar 2012, 08:15
Huntingdon Life Sciences is a derelict ruin once occupied by a now defunct and bankrupt company.

It's not derelict, it's operating as normal, just with new owners.