PDA

View Full Version : N reg pitot static checks and EASA 145

englishal
14th Mar 2012, 12:48
We need out PS checks carried out so that we're IFR legal in our N reg. Previously we had to take the aeroplane to an FAA repair station to have this completed. With the advent of some of these EASA changes and bilateral agreements, I believe now an EASA 145 maintenance organisation can carry out work on an N reg and sign this off with the same authority as an FAA repair station.

Is this true and if so can someone point me in the direction of the docs please? It is a lot easier for us to have our on-airfield EASA145 organisation sign this off than take the aeroplane somewhere to have it done.

Cheers...

wigglyamp
14th Mar 2012, 18:53
The work still needs to be carried out an FAA repair station. What the bi-lateral is doing initially is transferring oversight of current EASA-FAA foreign repair stations to the local NAA. Currently this applies to companies that have a current FAA approval or had an application in for several years. There are no applications being accepted yet for new companies to get foreign repair station approval until some US TSA legal issues have been resolved.
So you'll still have to travel.

peterh337
14th Mar 2012, 20:00
I read the BASA and while most of it was goggledygook which could be interpreted any way you wanted (a bit like the 1992 CAA-FAA treaty), it seemed that it provided for mutual acceptance of certification data i.e. Approved Data used to support a 337 could also be used to support an EASA Major Mod application.

Is that so?

wigglyamp
14th Mar 2012, 20:21
There is some automtaic recognition/acceptance of repair data whether from the TC holder, DER or EASA Part 21J but this doesn't read across top design data. So you can't accept an FAA STC as-is in Europe - it still has to have EASA validation and the reverse in the US.

englishal
15th Mar 2012, 12:08
Thanks for the info...