PDA

View Full Version : Who does the cockpit PAs?

JohnMcGhie
14th Mar 2012, 06:50
Is it the PF or the PNF? Is there a SOP?

I could have sworn this question would have been asked and answered a zillion times, but I cannot find it! So I'll have to ask...

I would assume that the pilot flying would not have time to be gas-bagging on the PA, but curiosity is killing me!

Should I assume that when I hear an nnouncement from "The Captain" while we are in the air, that the co-pilot is flying?

Cheers

gorter
14th Mar 2012, 10:18
It really depends from company to company. In mine captain does welcome aboard and PF does all others. We hand over control to PM for the time it takes to do the PA

redED
14th Mar 2012, 13:48
I think you're flybe WingoWango. You're correct for the Dash however on the Embraer PF does the enroute PA.

Drakestream
14th Mar 2012, 14:21
At my company the Captain does the 'welcome onboard' PA at the gate, then it's whoever is pilot monitoring.

99jolegg
14th Mar 2012, 16:21
Capt does welcome aboard PA, then pilot flying does all of the others.

Denti
15th Mar 2012, 00:00
Captain does the welcome aboard if he feels inclined to do so, else the FAs do that, in flight PAs are done by the pilot flying if he doesn't forget it. Passengers know far better than the flight deck crew where they are and when they do arrive by virtue of the IFE system, no need to announce routing or times.

But that is purely a company thing, many others do it the other way round as shown by the posts above.

on time all the time
15th Mar 2012, 10:54
Our captain does the welcome PA. Then it is whoever is flying (capt or FO) the plane who does the PAs, giveing the chosen route, altitude.....

corporate-pilot
15th Mar 2012, 20:37
For us it depends on who knows the most about any landmarks on the ground beneath us :ok:

jamesferns
15th Mar 2012, 23:07
Does any one really care ? I suspect most people only wish to know the ETA and perhaps the weather at the destination, apart from that the less waffle that comes over the PA the better

corporate-pilot
16th Mar 2012, 11:59
Does any one really care ?

Clearly at least one person does as the question has been asked.

Next useless contribution please.......

ross_M
16th Mar 2012, 19:23
Passengers know far better than the flight deck crew where they are and when they do arrive by virtue of the IFE system, no need to announce routing or times.

How does the IFE system calculate these; is there a hookup from the flight deck systems to the IFE?

What sort of isolation goes in there anyone know; IFE systems seem quite vulnerable to PAX interference if someone wanted to and knew what he was doing. I've seen screens "Kernel Panic" and drop to Linux console quite often. The look on PAX face is memorable when confronted with a phosphorescent green-on -black "Kill Kill Kill" message. :)

JohnMcGhie
17th Mar 2012, 01:54
For your firm "It depends" :-)

Cheers

Narrow Runway
17th Mar 2012, 23:20
When I was working my balls off in low cost world as a Captain (only ever an FO before in full service/charter), I always gave the FO's I flew with free rein to make the "welcome on board" PA.

3 reasons for this:

1) I was generally busy signing various bits of paper. LMC's etc;

2) The FO had a mouth, a licence and a good idea of what he/she/we were doing (caveat:if there was weather/delay/tech etc. I'd do it): therefore I always felt they were qualified to welcome passengers on board on my behalf, and;

3) My PA's were never that good anyway.

CRM points us to a 2 crew operation. I cannot stand hearing "MY First Officer" or when a Captain completely fails to introduce the other pilot in the flightdeck (and it COULD be another Captain) in a welcome onboard speech.

Why shouldn't an FO make the speech? It's not as if we are in the flying boat era anymore.