PDA

View Full Version : Am I on the right track?

senseisam
14th Mar 2012, 06:11
I have just started my CPL through a flight school, only have 12 hours or so.
Because I work as a fulltime carpenter sometimes struggle to fly every week . Should I look at getting a loan to study full time or try for a caddetship, or just keep going the way i am going??????

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Mar 2012, 09:42
It really depends on the progress you are making.

Are you meeting the required standard on each flight you do, and on track in the syllabus to take your test after you have completed the required hours? The best thing to do is talk with your instructor.

In a lot of cases, and this is quite normal, you end up on the saw tooth learning curve if you dont fly for some time, and its likely that you will go over hours and it will end up costing you more cash.

Full time study is most likely the best way forward, but it all depends on you and your circumstances.

VJW
15th Mar 2012, 16:16
I recon you should just keep going.

Say you end up needing a few hours more during the course, due to the lack of regular training. This will cost less then the interest on a loan I'd guess...

redsnail
15th Mar 2012, 17:32
I know what you mean. What I ended up doing was taking a break from "weekly" flying when flight checks/tests or the instrument rating loomed.
The instrument rating is a little way off but that is one phase that's best done "as full time" as possible.

There's a lot you can do "at home" to keep yourself "up to speed". Don't get lazy and do a lot of reading. :) However, remember to enjoy yourself.:ok:

senseisam
22nd Mar 2012, 11:56
Thanks for your responses. Might look into another flying school which isn't as busy and has more flexibility.

joseph500s
24th Mar 2012, 12:00
IMO you probably wont want to do any less than 1 or 2 hours a week. if you are not using what you are learning often it can make it a bit harder to retain what you are learning. :):ok:

Cobalt
24th Mar 2012, 19:18
I did both my IR and my CPL part-time on weekends only. Neither of the two needed more than about the minimum hours, although the IR took a loooong time. But the school was accommodating me well, with a bit of planning I could fly every weekend that I wanted to.

Sounds like your issue is that the school you use can't give you availablity every week-end? I wold talk to them, block-book, or go elsewhere.