PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Interview preparation

airbuddy
13th Mar 2012, 11:52
Hello guys,

can anybody please shed a light on EK interview preparation? Is latestpilotjobs stuff accurate and complete enough (together with ACE book) or is there any other useful tool around the web? Thanx a lot

AB

donpizmeov
13th Mar 2012, 12:44
Just be yourself, and play nice with the other kids. You have the job unless you have a bad day in the sim or talk your way out of it. They will take everybody in your group if they can, so there is no competition between you and the others fellas interviewing.
Its really that simple.

Good luck,

The don

Round D. Globe
13th Mar 2012, 16:29
Are the written tests a multiple guess format or essay type answers required? Referring to the tech portion.

skyvan
13th Mar 2012, 18:12
The tests are all multiple answer.

As Don says, just be yourself. The recruiters and psychologists have lots of experience in their job, they spot BS a mile off, and that is an instant Fail.

As for prep, I honestly did no prep. The tests are easy enough that even if you don't know the answer immediately, you should be able to hazard a good guess.

Be honest, think before you speak, and be respectful of your fellow applicants. There are enough vacancies to take everyone on your selection.

The recruiters are VERY positive. The only person who can fail your interview is YOU.

So come along, show them that they can sit beside you for 8 hours in a cockpit, and in the sim let your performance confirm what your logbook says.

Good luck.

hunterboy
13th Mar 2012, 19:02
Blimey...good advice there...not often we see that on pprune! ;)

Round D. Globe
13th Mar 2012, 19:57
Blimey...good advice there...not often we see that on pprune! ;)

Agreed. Thanks.

Dani
13th Mar 2012, 20:03
I wonder about this maths test. Do they really think that one can calculate 4 digits numbers in 45 seconds? Or is this just the bull**** test to make you nervous?

km5
15th Mar 2012, 12:33
The maths is not multi choice but the ATPL is.

I found Elite Assessment to be really good for the interview and compass prep. It was a bit expensive though but it did the trick

Kernow 101
15th Mar 2012, 13:02
Skytest........much cheaper than Elite (and very, very, very close to what you get ;))

wayupthere
15th Mar 2012, 13:41
I used skytest too, did the job perfectly, although I am not sure sure about turning up with no study done!

Dani
15th Mar 2012, 18:20
The maths is not multi choice but the ATPL is.

that (the maths) makes it not easier. Do you have to do it in your head or are you allowed to use a pen?

A380 Jockey
15th Mar 2012, 20:26
Awesome advice skyvan.....absolutely awesome!
Sincerity personified.
And I rarely say that.....!!
Very nice indeed ..

km5
16th Mar 2012, 14:24
you can use a pen and paper but not a calculator.

A380 driver
18th Mar 2012, 01:21
Just wondering what one might expect for a DEC interview sim ride. Any input welcome.
Would it be more on lines of a regular proficiency check or a little more cursory. Since this is or DEC, is it any different from the FO screenings.
Thanks all.

Bunktime
18th Mar 2012, 10:09
Thanks driver,
Same request here. What might one expect to see in the sim check for dec and the other evaluations.

skyvan
18th Mar 2012, 11:05
DEC selection follows the same format as for FO.

As you will not have the benefit of 4+ years in the right seat to assimmilate the Emirates way of doing things, the assessment of your CRM skills will be more intense, and your management of the non-normal events in the simulator will also be graded to a higher level. Other than that, you carry out the same tests. Obviously your interview will be more indepth.

As far as I know, your sim evaluation follows the same format as for the FO, but for some reason it tends to be longer than the FO one. Sorry, I don't know why, just waited longer for the DEC candidate to come out than the other FO guys.

For some reason, in the past the selection failure rate for DEC candidates was quite eye-watering, so come prepared to take a bit of a beating as you will be grilled. The company expects you to be 100% from the day you walk on the property, there is no bedding-in time.

Good luck.

Bunktime
18th Mar 2012, 12:16
Skyvan,
Pray tell. What kinda non normals might we expect in the sim?
And interview in more depth? Does that mean more intense? No issues there.
Just wondering what kinda exercises could one expect in the sim. V1 cut, E fire on V1, flight control failure, rapid D (naaaaa) or what....?!
Just a thought....
Thanks for your input(s) so far.
Obviously if I walk in as DEC, i should be 110% and not 100%. I was obviously 120% in my previous company if I walk in as DEC in EK.
Good to know what the "100%" entails ..

BigGeordie
18th Mar 2012, 15:17
100% entails a full knowledge of the Ops Manual, the FCOMs and the company SOPs. Your line training will be minimal and the people you fly with after that (and the company) will expect you to know the above at least as well as an Emirates F/O who has just been through the upgrade process. Which means very well indeed.

Bunktime
19th Mar 2012, 04:18
BigGeordie,
At the risk of overstating my point i'm going to say this. You've GOT to be kidding.....!!
I could understand knowing Fcom's. But how on earth is it possible to know company SOP's and Ops Manuals?!
That's supposed to be company documentation. And its circulation is classified(supposed to be).
Interesting..

Wizofoz
19th Mar 2012, 04:32
A little cross-talking there.

You are expected to have a good knowledge of SOPs and OMA BY THE END OF YOUR TRAINING, not from the time you "step on to the property".

That is not to minimise the task- the DEC course is intense. Pencil in four months of your life with your head in a book!

in my last airline
19th Mar 2012, 08:01
Hello folks. Can anyone tell me how long after applying will you get any notification for interview/no thank you. I applied on the 28th February for DEC but nothing yet. Thanks all.

Rateofdescent
19th Mar 2012, 10:01
Are you shortlisted?

nightstopmonster
19th Mar 2012, 10:09
Hello, I had an acknowledgement of my application for DEC in 24 hours, notification of being shortlisted within 48 hours and offered an interview within 7 days.

I haven't been put through the mill yet so can't tell you what you can expect when you're there. Which is why I've come on PPRUNE for the first time in ages to try and find out ;) Good luck.

Bunktime
19th Mar 2012, 10:37
Really appreciate the intel Wiz. As usual ur posts are hugely informative. Makes more sense now.
Of course, it would be stupid to under rate the task at hand. How do you reckon one prepare for the interview though. The sims/tech quiz being of particular interest.
Thanks in advance.

georgelz4
19th Mar 2012, 10:39
Hi, as things in my country are getting worst... i was giving a thought to the idea of enrolling in EK, sooooo, I am looking for sites to get as much info as I can, but I have only found people criticize the company and the working conditions... and this is pulling me back...
anyone can help?
thanks!!!

Bunktime
19th Mar 2012, 11:02
Wiz....is it at all possible(of course ALL is possible, but other than that!), that you fly a boeing currently and duing the DEC interview you get offered a bus?
Wouldn't that increase the training time dramatically.
And i recall u mention 4 months somewhere. I know of legacy carriers who churn out a captain in 3 months flat. From scratch to match. And this, when the driver ain't rated on type.
Don't u think the time frame for a TR DEC would be shorter. Like i said earlier, just my thoughts. Thx for helping.

offroad7
19th Mar 2012, 15:45
For a DEC, appart from convincing them that you fit the Emirates Model, you gotta convince them that you will have a full knowledge of OMA/C and FCOM by the time you do your final line check... at least 3 Months so no panic - but you have to read the books...

Bunktime
19th Mar 2012, 18:15
Any links for any online practice questions for the tech quiz for the interview. Any suggestions?
Thanks

King on a Wing
21st Mar 2012, 11:48
Bunk,
Try skytest for pilots and mebbe handling big jets for the tech quiz. Hope that helps.

jbgood
23rd Mar 2012, 16:53
Hello guys, anyone knows the average rate of failings during training for DEC in EK?
I´ve been told that is high!
Did they get the chance to stay as F/O?
Best regards

jbgood
23rd Mar 2012, 16:57
Good luck, i´m still wating to be shortlisted.
Keep us posted....!:D

Runcorn Bridge
24th Mar 2012, 00:17
Anybody been on the DEC interviews this week care to share their experiences?

I too would like to know about the failure rate of DEC.

bernyfly
4th Apr 2012, 04:52
Hi,

expecting the Emirates assessment around May/June and checking the Preparation possibilities. Test consists of Capacity tests and Team exercises obviously before you've to do the Simulator. Any idea for some Preparation possibilities?

Thx,

Berny

bernyfly
13th Apr 2012, 15:13
I've found this link: ATTC Europe (http://www.attc.com/Emirates-Assessment.htm)

Any experiences with such ATTC trainings?

I think if it works it's worth to do this course but I would prefer a few reliable information before investing money and time. The Skytest-Software is known as useful mean of preparation for ATC-Testings in Swiss, a friend of mine used it for his Skyguide (Swiss ATC), but don't know their relation to the flying group.

bernyfly
13th Apr 2012, 15:21
Any idea about the average time betwenn notification "shortlisted" and Test date in Dubai? Loosing a little bit my patience, because they told me in January around may/june , approaching the end of april without any information :confused: