PDA

View Full Version : Military Wives Album

Lightning Mate
10th Mar 2012, 12:07
I have today purchased and played this CD.

I know I'm an old boring ex-military awficer, but I ask you all to go out and buy it.

Even if you do not like the music, you will be helping many many people.

Personally I like the tracks - but perhaps most people in this country would prefer to buy rubbish from pop upstarts etc.

CrabInCab
10th Mar 2012, 12:09
Anyone else expecting something very different when they clicked on this link?

:}

sled dog
10th Mar 2012, 12:47
Er, yes.......:O

MightyGem
10th Mar 2012, 12:52
Er...no, I wasn't.

Willard Whyte
10th Mar 2012, 14:13
Damn. Or should that be phew!

I'd forgotten about the singing and thought first of it as a potential photo album.

Scuttled
10th Mar 2012, 15:54
Most disappointing.

And music is a matter of taste. Contribute directly to H4H directly if you feel the need to do your bit.

Canadian WokkaDoctor
10th Mar 2012, 16:42
Anyone else expecting something very different when they clicked on this link?

I thought the OMO was being displayed!

CWD:\

Willard Whyte
10th Mar 2012, 17:57
Reminds me of the regular 'guest publication' slot on HIGNFY.

T'was to much sniggering that 'Officers Wives' made an appearance.

Wander00
10th Mar 2012, 18:15
Reminds me of a Command Accounts inspection at Innsworth - Wives Club books recorded an item " Profits from Ann Summers Party". Two of us suggested to the WRAF (as she was then) officer on the team that she might ring the Chair Person (ie Mrs Staish) to check all the money was accounted for from said party - we relented (realising how humourless was the then Staish), and stopped her just as she lifted the telephone! Slowly realisation dawned, and we had to buy her a drink or two that night.

Hawksridge
10th Mar 2012, 20:10
Scuttled - just a quick clarification, the money from this album is going to SSAFA and Royal British Legion, as it did from their single, not H4H.

FWIW, The single raised well over £500,000, the album is heading the same way and SSAFA are already reinvesting that money directly into supporting wives on units far and wide. Witness the establishment of 27 wives choirs now (lord help us!), established in part by funding from the money raised from the single. I think it's all good stuff, although admittedly the music on the album is clearly targeted at a specific market and may not be to everyone's taste.

Q-RTF-X
11th Mar 2012, 04:14
Lightning Mate posted what I consider a perfectly honest well motivated plea to encourage people to dig into their pockets for a good cause. :D

I see the early signs of the scornful cold water brigade starting to creep in to pour from a rather self perceived lofty height. Activities of this nature are worthy of encouragement, the spread of well-being they create goes way beyond the simple collection of (significant in this case) welfare funds, it helps provide a pillar of mutual support and understanding within a group that are rather more vulnerable to the sudden loss of a loved one than the majority of us. It’s not just about the sound of the music; it’s about people who faced an extremely stressful situation and more than a few of that same group will again face similar. It's about people pulling together at the same time generating mutual support; nobody expects musical brilliance but, the effort is worthy of support.

Definitely IMHO, a situation where if you have nothing nice to say, better say nothing.

Scuttled
11th Mar 2012, 06:44
Reference the last two posts.

Good points, agreed. I retract my previous comment and apologise for being a miserable sod. Bad week. :ok:

BEagle
11th Mar 2012, 08:11
Driving back through the Cotswolds on Friday afternoon, I heard the interview with the Military Wives on Radio 2. Also one of their songs from their new album In My Dreams.

Very, very good indeed.

Available from all the usual places for about £9 on CD; also available as MP3 downloads for iToys and the like.

The B Word
11th Mar 2012, 08:30
Yup, I was expecting...M.I.L.F. (http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/article-1600-milf.html) :E

PS. Don't worry, the link takes you to a news article, not anything else :ooh:

Q-RTF-X
11th Mar 2012, 11:20
Scuttled

I'm familiar with bad days/weeks myself, thank you for your gentlemanly comment.

Hawksridge
11th Mar 2012, 21:43
Likewise, Thanks Scuttled, totally understand the bad day concept!!

The album came in at No 2 in the album charts today - fantastic news. The girls are extremely pleased, to say the least. Thanks all for your support.