PDA

View Full Version : RAF COLD WEATHER FLYING JACKET

rolling20
9th Mar 2012, 11:27
Aside of Ebay and net searches, any of you chaps know where I can pick up a decent Cold weather jacket? I know Silvermans sell them, but a tad expensive. I need one 46"-48", not sure if they made them that size however? Thanks in advance!

Pontius Navigator
9th Mar 2012, 11:43
Aside of Ebay and net searches, any of you chaps know where I can pick up a decent Cold weather jacket? I know Silvermans sell them

I can think of only 3 ways. A shop and stores - front door or back door.

One has to wonder why?

If you have a look in Walt's Clothing you may get lucky.

NutLoose
9th Mar 2012, 11:57
well the MOD use

www.fieldtextiles.co.uk - army surplus clothing and accessories, combat clothing, british army surplus (http://www.fieldtextiles.co.uk/)

and also edisposals
Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Business | DSA | Disposals Services Authority (DSA) (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Business/dsa/)

German wise they use these guys selling a nice little U boat if you are in the market :E

VEBEG - Search for items (http://www.vebeg.de/web/en/verkauf/suchen.htm?SHOW_AUS=1214300&SHOW_LOS=001&nolistlink=1)

now if you were after a new RAF pilots watch, that would be easy..

The Old Fat One
9th Mar 2012, 13:51
One has to wonder why?

Because they are awesome!

I am a hill walker and I have been walking for 15 years, in all weathers, in the same CWFJ. Never found anything better.

Fortunately when I left I was told it was surplus to requirements and I could keep it.

To clarify...I'm not talking about the posey leather thing, but the old green cloth thing.

Willard Whyte
9th Mar 2012, 14:18
Are we talking the short-arse 'fast-jet' cwj, or the ripstop dpm - with looped buttons - that actually keeps one warm but anally retentive types at waddo don't like?

rolling20
9th Mar 2012, 14:21
Must be the short type I guess, as worn by myself circa 1982. Thanks for the helpful replies.

5aday
9th Mar 2012, 17:19
Extrapolating I think it is size 9 you are looking for. I had a look on line and Silvermans don't stock that size. Try the manufacturer direct.

Tashengurt
9th Mar 2012, 17:26
I'm pretty sure that any outdoor shop will sell a better fitting, better performing, nicer coloured jacket for at least equivalent price and a lot less hassle than trying to source a surplus CW jacket. Me thinks a little misplaced vanity may be at work?

Champagne Anyone?
9th Mar 2012, 17:34
For one in that size it was special order for the MOD only the same as for the bigger size flying suits... the Max normal size only just fits a size 46 chest... with a little breathing in! :)

I guess Ebay is the only way... unless you know some of the larger loadies??

Easy Street
9th Mar 2012, 18:52
I can't think of any garment I would less rather go hillwalking in than my CWJ. It can just about repel the mist droplets on a foggy morning and the slightest precipitation turns it into something akin to a damp tea-towel. The hood, once extracted for first use, can never be properly stowed again and forms a lump on the back of the collar (in any case you look like a proper plonker with the hood out, only ever seen them used on survival exs). Get a Buffalo or a decent layered fleece + goretex system and stop trying to impress your spotter mates!

Now, if you're talking about the Typhoon CWJ, pose away!

Dengue_Dude
9th Mar 2012, 22:25
Me too - the last thing I'd hill walk in. They soaked up water, and left your arse hanging out in the cold.

Give me a Tog 24 Gore-Tex every time. Mind you they were just bringing camouflaged Gore-Tex in when I left - typical.

Best of luck, I think I've still got mine in the loft.

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2012, 07:23
The son in Howard's Way used to wear one.

Anyone seen a Mk3 NBC top out on the High Street recently. That used to be a real cool depths of fashion item. I once saw a girl on a train wearing a real copy of one. It was a genuine fashion item - no charcoal etc.

212man
10th Mar 2012, 07:36
a decent Cold weather jacket

A good example to use when explaing the word 'oxymoron' to someone !:ok:

Lima Juliet
10th Mar 2012, 08:31
I believe it is decent for COLD weather; it's just sh!te for WET weather. Now considering in our part of Europe that COLD and WET normally goes together, I believe that the RAF CWJ is pretty pants and we could do a lot better. I used to wear a US CWU jacket that was warm AND waterproof, so why can't we have the same?

Also, I have an all black RAF CWJ which is much better for "stepping out" for a walk as you don't look like a p!key S!lverman's wearer or from another such "surplus" store. :ok:

LJ

oldmansquipper
10th Mar 2012, 11:31
....Is a Mk 3 CW flying jacket - Try Del Halls excellent SES company...All sorts of stuff there....:ok:

SES Survival Equipment Services (http://www.ses-safety.com/About.html)

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2012, 16:21
I use a Regatta jacket = waterproof, silent, lots of pockets, infact all the features you might want of a jacket in wet conditions. I use a matching Regatta liner which is a fleece and perfect in cold weather.

The combination works well in cold/wet. I also discovered during a burst pipe disaster that the fleece is also waterproof in its own right with a waterproof inner liner. In other words even when soaking wet it kept me dry and warm. The CWJ was, as said, useless when wet.

Military-wise my best jacket was a pre-CS95 combat jacket complete with full liner. It had two weaknesses - the buttons came off and it was not waterproof. I corrected the first weakness by collecting spare buttons that littered the place and the second with a whole can on waterproofing spray. :)

I finally disposed of it on eBay after 30 years.

BEagle
10th Mar 2012, 19:11
I use a Regatta jacket = waterproof, silent, lots of pockets....

Plenty of pockets for the jelly babies and dolly mixtures when you're lurking outside the school gates in your grubby old jacket, eh PN?

Fortunately I no longer need to worry about going out when it's cold and wet. One simply waits until the weather improves, or uses a motor car.....

Pontius Navigator
11th Mar 2012, 08:30
BEagle, the weekly school run is long past. You obviously don't have a beagle.

oggers
11th Mar 2012, 09:29
I use a Regatta jacket = waterproof, silent, lots of pockets....

It is very important to have a silent jacket on the hill. I also muffle my crampons. But if you want silent don't even think about donning those Trouser Waterproof DPM.

Hueymeister
11th Mar 2012, 11:04
Rolling, if you want this to look the part, honestly, don't bother. I've warn three different nation's flying kit, and the UK Cold Weather Jacket is the WORST:yuk::mad: piece of flying kit I've ever been issued...if we were of a similar size I'd give you mine...just let me know where to send it!!

P6 Driver
11th Mar 2012, 11:21
In the 80's, I wore an RAF CWJ on my motor bike in mainly dry weather for about five years until it fell apart through use. It was superb with a sweatshirt and a scarf underneath. For light rain, it was also OK as I had treated it with a waterproofing agent.
:ok:

With hindsight, I now know it wouldn't have done me any favours had I slid down the road in it, but I was young and stupid - now I'm old and just as stupid, but in different ways.
:rolleyes:

BEagle
11th Mar 2012, 12:33
I also muffle my crampons.

What a splendid turn of phrase! It sound like some 18th Century naval order "Muffle your crampons if you please, Mister Christian, with a will!" "Aye aye, Sir!".

Or perhaps a General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett interjection "Well, muffle my crampons, Darling, but that's a tricky one!".

Dan Winterland
11th Mar 2012, 18:25
It was always supposed to be reproofed after cleaning by the SES only. Of course, everyone threw them in the washing machine with their shreddies and never reprrofed them, so they became the moisure arracting soggy masses we were used to.

However, I did my winter survival course with the Norwegans who told us on seeing our issue stuff "this is all rubbish - put it in the bin". The Noggies know a bit about cold weather and have a saying which approximates to "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing". I'm inclined to agree with them after they gave us their kit to replace our RAF issued rubbish. it was all made by Helly Hansen and was fantastic. I still have some of it.

Lima Juliet
11th Mar 2012, 18:50
Dan

It was still sh!te straight out of the box when it came to waterproofing; never mind the SES wash and waterproof gag!

Quite simply, it is a poor piece of kit that many have moaned about for years but no-one ever submits the "threads" complaint form that the uniform and dress committee use - hence nothing is ever done about it.

LJ

P6 Drives - shame on you for wearing it on a bike unless you wore bike armour underneath?

Tashengurt
11th Mar 2012, 19:31
I can safely say that I never washed, let alone 'reproofed' any jackets. If anyone had asked me to I'd have been completely stumped!

5aday
12th Mar 2012, 00:38
The simple facts are plain to everyone. Duplicated below. Friggin IPad

5aday
12th Mar 2012, 00:39
The simple facts are plain to everyone. If you were required to wear one, they were crap. They didn't launder, they were a hindrance, and were probably introduced for chaps riding on the Martin Bakers. I never saw one in use in a dinghy drill but I think it might have been tragic. If you are really embarked on buying one (at Silvermans for example) you could buy a really good leather one from the people at Thruxton for just a little more. I suppose they come up on eBay cheaper but then they have been either laundered, or need to be.

Rossian
12th Mar 2012, 16:13
Check your PMs

The Ancient Mariner

rolling20
12th Mar 2012, 16:27
Chaps, thanks for all the useful replies. I can assure you its not vanity -Tashengurt- or 'wanting to look the part'- Hueymeister , I just have a fond affinity for the jacket I was issued with back in 1982 and alas gave back soon after.
I was telling an x comrade about my wish. He said (as stated here) that they were hard to come by in that size. He very kindly sent me one of his old flying suits to try for size ( as we are the same height) he wore it on Hercs or Tucanos ( not sure which), I had to wash it three times to get the musty smell out!
When it was dry I tried it on. Mrs Rolling said I looked like a baby in a babygrow! Alas I may not have got any taller, but I have got broader, so I sent it back to him with thanks.

thanks for the heads up oldmansquipper
a 46-48 please Hueymeister

Went to the Club today, Fred was as charming as mentioned on here before. Spent a very pleasant lunch in the Running Horse , client had the choice of the Dining Room, but chose the Horse. Ten Ports later....