PDA

View Full Version : Hawk T2 Anthro Limitations

AS1990
9th Mar 2012, 10:47
Seeing as this is a 'Rumour Network' I thought I'd come here for some clarification.

Apparently the cockpit space in the front of the Hawk T2 is significiantly smaller than the T1 and the frontline jets. This link proves it but never being one to trust the website can someone shed some light/give some exact numbers?

International Defence Training - Fast Jet Advanced Flying Training - 7183 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/idtraf/courses/7183.cfm)

The length in question is the buttock to knee, on that link it's quoted as 636mm, I heard elsewhere it was 632mm, any other suggestions welcomed!

I'm interested because I am quite far off that stage in the pipeline but my buttock-knee is 636mm so it is of some interest.

Thanks.

Bob Viking
9th Mar 2012, 14:18
I think I'm probably well qualified to answer that.
The 636 restriction is purely down to the fact that the mirrors (not a problem when the roof is up but a slight issue when you bring the lid down - long story) intrude sufficiently that the original 660 limit wasn't sufficient to guarantee clearance during a front seat ejection. There is a modification to the mirrors in the pipeline which will restore the original limit in due course. Since you're a way off from T2 it should all be fine by the time you reach it. Just don't be too heavy or you may struggle with the weight limit (108 kg in kit I believe).
BV:ok:

AS1990
9th Mar 2012, 14:42
BV,

You've made my day. Do you mind PM'ing me your background? Absolutely no worries of course if you'd prefer not to. I had heard it was due to the mirrors too, it just surprised me that the T2 was very limited in the buttock-knee department when the frontline jets are comparatively large.

Best regards,

AS

high spirits
9th Mar 2012, 15:52
Is it true that you need to be a fatty to sit in the front seat, in order to land it within c of g at low fuel weights. Otherwise you cant get the nose forward....Tee hee, which clown designed that feature in then???:D

inputshaft
9th Mar 2012, 17:57
It certainly was also a problem for some of us on the T1. I can attribute a long and marginally glorious helicopter career to the fact that my buttocks and knees have a somewhat distant relationship.

AS1990 - Best of luck in your own case.

4Greens
9th Mar 2012, 18:36
Same was going on in the sixties. Training for 'normal' people was on Vampires. For those larger was on Meteors.

Courtney Mil
9th Mar 2012, 18:43
I'm assuming you call it Anthro because you can't spell anthopomit, anthopometu, anthorp, measuring. Funy thing happened to me. I went to AMTC (as was, RAF Rutland Water) having flown the F4 for about 6 years, moving to the Hawk. They were just starting anthro-thingamy then and wanted volunteers to be measured so they could start building their database. I was duly measured and the young Corporal said,

"Thank you, Sir. Good job you're not going to F4s. You wouldn't be able to reach the weapoins selector because your arms a re too short."

"Never had a problem in the last six years."

"Oh."

Lone Kestrel
9th Mar 2012, 19:52
But you do have short arms and legs:}!

Melchett01
9th Mar 2012, 20:07
Short arms and deep pockets would be more of a problem come happy hour.

Milo Minderbinder
9th Mar 2012, 20:33
So as the average brit gets bigger and fatter on a diet of junk food, I guess our future pilots will be pulled from the the Gurkhas
Wouuld be a lot cheaper.....

Courtney Mil
9th Mar 2012, 21:13
Yeah, you're all probably right. The F4 was built for US Marines with 20 inch necks and biceps the size of Bournemouth. Modern aircraft are built for normal sized people.

Before the days of anthropomisity (probably a form of alchemy), they used to take big guys out to the line, sit them in the jet and use their judgement to see if they would fit. Seemed to work.