PDA

View Full Version : More IFR help

NZpilotMDH
9th Mar 2012, 00:34
Hi people

I need some help with regards to this question - i have looked in my text book and i am getting even more confused :ugh:.

How to determine you position in relation to the required track TO and FROM an NDB.

Using the RMI, RBI & the rotatable card ADF.

:confused::confused:

cheers

Capt Fathom
9th Mar 2012, 00:45
You need to look at this (http://www.luizmonteiro.com/Learning_ADF_Sim.aspx) website.

There is also VOR, RMI and HSI simulators on the same site.

NZpilotMDH
9th Mar 2012, 01:00
I havnt started IFR flying yet so how would this be of use to me?

Tinstaafl
9th Mar 2012, 01:09
Using an RMI:

Think of the RMI's face as a space eye view of the earth's surface. When you do so, the centre of the RMI represents the NDB (or VOR, if the RMI can be selected to display VOR information). The aircraft would be located on the tail of the needle, and oriented as you look at the instrument so that it is always facing up the instrument panel

BFS >--____^_____ ---------O--------------------> BTS
................_|_

ignore the dots -they're to adjust spacing

Bearing FROM Station is the number aligned with the TAIL of the needle.
Bearing TO Station is the number aligned with the HEAD of the needle.
Aircraft heading is under the index at the top of the instrument, as usual

Rotatable ADF card (poor man's RMI)

Rotate the card so that aircraft headng is under the top index. It now looks just like an RMI.

Fixed card:

Method 1 (even poorer man's RMI):

Align your pen, pencil or finger to the ADF needle, with the nib or point to head of needle. Holding that alignment, move your pen over to the DI/HSI. The alignment of your pen with the ADF needle, and over the DI, gives the same information as if the two were an RMI.

Method 2 (mental RMI):

Observe where the the tail &/or head of the ADF needle is w.r.t. the top, bottom or abeam point(s) by noting the degree marks around the circumference of the ADF. On the DI count the same number of degree marks from the equivalent position. That point represents where the tail or head (respectively) of the needle would be if the DI was an RMI.

Method 3 (mentally insane):

Use the formula BTS=HDG+ADF. Remember to subtract 360 deg if the number goes over 360. Subtract 180 deg to find BFS. Don't forget you're still supposed to fly the aeroplane while doing all this maths.

Capt Fathom
9th Mar 2012, 01:15
I havnt started IFR flying yet so how would this be of use to me?

Because it's a simulator!! You move the aeroplane around and watch what the ADF needle does!

It's as simple as it gets!

NZpilotMDH
9th Mar 2012, 01:26
awesome thanks for the help, ill have a play around on that simulator aswell.