PDA

View Full Version : logbook for iPad for JAR/FCL PPL

CharlieDeltaUK
8th Mar 2012, 17:02
Can anyone recommend an iPad app which provides a logbook suitable for a PPL reflecting UK currency requirements etc

Jerry Lee
8th Mar 2012, 17:40
LogTen Pro by Corandine Aviation.

dan_vector
8th Mar 2012, 18:39
I like the logbook provided by PilotLog - The Online Log Book for Professional Pilots (http://www.pilotlog.co.uk)

Although it is probably aimed for professional pilots there is a 'lite' version and is fully customisable and has presets such as student pilot, private pilot, instructor etc.

Blinkz
8th Mar 2012, 19:27
I use Mcc Pilot Log - mccPILOTLOG (http://www.mccpilotlog.net/main.html)

No complaints, great program and they have excellent support. They have added a few features to the program and Iphone app that I have suggested.

peterh337
8th Mar 2012, 20:04
How do you guys deal with loss of data?

Instructor signatures?

Various signoffs?

In a lot of situations (e.g. PPL and especially IR training) you want the instructor to sign every line in your logbook.

dan_vector
8th Mar 2012, 20:29
I have a paper logbook as well that is really the master with all the important signatures etc. The digital logbook is used as a backup and to more easily track recency, validity and for ease of totalling hours by type and capacity etc. Personally I think the paper log and digital logs compliment each other well at least in the way I use them.

fwjc
10th Mar 2012, 08:24
I use an excel sheet, it's simple and I can manipulate the information any way I like - to show hours for any date period, types, flight details, etc. I keep it on my work machine and regularly email it home, so I have copies on my desktop at home, and at work, and in two different email systems. Oh, and a hard copy, when I get around to updating my paper log book.

silverknapper
10th Mar 2012, 11:07
Logtenpro gets my vote.

Peter, the data can be backed up on iTunes or with one of the generic backup applications. Even better I see they now have a version which you install on your mac and iPad which updates automatically.
The instructor can now sign the screen with his finger.
I keep Logtenpro and also print it off as I go as a last resort back up.

piperarcher
12th Mar 2012, 12:31
Do any of these apps have a facility where you can upload and download log book data via Excel, or some other kind of CSV format ? I wouldnt want to add all my hours up by hand on my iPhone / iPad, though I wouldnt be so concerned typing them all up in Excel as I can use some of the inherent efficiencies that come with that.

peterh337
12th Mar 2012, 12:49
the data can be backed up on iTunes or with one of the generic backup applications

Sure, but you get the same issue as with all backup technologies: verifying that the backups are good.

I'll give you a little example.

A company near me lost their file server. On it was about 20 man years of software development. OK, they thought, no problem, we have weekly backups on tape.

Then they found all the tape backups were duff, because the backup process was scheduled for midnight, always produced an error message, and always failed :)

The eventual solution was via paper printouts, which the programmers had kicking around their desk. The company recruited a load of girls to type the stuff in, from the various printout fragments :)

I keep a paper logbook (multiple ones actually, with 3/4 just for the plane) and photograph them from time to time and the photos are stored off-site.

When you want a logbook endorsement from an instructor, he will want to sign the actual logbook, not some printout which could then be inserted into somebody else's logbook :)

Whopity
13th Mar 2012, 00:44
A paper log book will last you a lifetime, and you will be able to look back with nostalgia; the IPAD will be long forgotten by then! Never sure how an examiner is supposed to sign an electronic log book!

Torque Tonight
13th Mar 2012, 09:17
MMC PilotLog user here. Paper and electronic logbooks run in parallel for the best of both worlds.

My paper logbooks remain the masters, with original signatures. However, the MCC pilotlog makes life a lot easier and is excellent for querying the data in any way you can imagine. I remember that sometimes on airline application forms the breakdown of hours requested could often take hours to fill in the old fashioned way. The same breakdowns can be presented instantly now.

The initial push for me to get MCC (and upgrade to the top version) was after my first couple of months of airline flying, I went to fill in my paper logbook and realised that my voyage reports had no record of day/night time. To calculate accurate figures from departure lat/long/time and arrival lat/long/time would be a ballache of biblical proportions. MCC does it correctly and automatically.

Backup is to their server or to your own computer. I have regular backups on their server, two of my computers, a few USB sticks and Google Docs. Pretty bulletproof.

I'd thoroughly recommend it. Basic version is free. Top version is a bargain for lifetime licence.

debs
28th Mar 2012, 12:16
Does anybody know if i phone / ipad allows synchronisation with a basic excek sheel in a windows pc?

(sorry, I can more or less fly, but Im not too much of a computer freak!!)

If so, do I need to install an application in the phone, ipad? download?

Thanks!!

Big_Buddha36
28th Mar 2012, 18:39
Here's what I use:

I have lighten pro on my iPhone and iPad. During the day, I log directly into this as its quick and always with me.

I connect to the mac to sync with the desktop version.

And I keep a traditional paper logbook as well.

Lighten can print pages exactly like the paper logbook - I mean exactly!

Thing is, you can fear electronic backups, but paper is just as easy to lose/destroy

The bottom line is have both.

Bb