PDA

View Full Version : PPL/FRTOL issue confusion

Sensible Flyer
8th Mar 2012, 14:45
Hello,

Bit confused. I recently passed my PPL skills test, and have the SRG1105 form signed and ready to send to the CAA.
I haven't yet done the FRTOL practical. I was intending to get this done and signed off on the SRG1105 before sending it off. But Lasors seems to say that it has to be applied for "on a separate form" after the licence has been issued. I'm sure I've seen elsewhere that the FRTOL is required for issue of a JAR PPL, yet Lasors states the licence can be issued without the FRTOL.

Confused. What would be the best way of going about this:
Apply for my PPL now, then send the licence back later once I've done the FRTOL practical. Issue with this is I would presumably have the get the written test signed off on a SRG1106 by the flying school I did it at (I have since moved) to avoid doing it again, howver the form asks "Location where these tests were conducted", which implies the written and practical must be done at the same place (although what difference it makes is beyond me!

Wait until I've done the FRTOL test and then apply for the PPL and FRTOL together. Can I do this on one SRG1105, or do I need an SRG1105 and and SRG1106.

If I apply for my licence now and then send it back for the FRTOL am I grounded until it's back in my possesion?

Or am I just over overly concerned about complying with the bureaucracy? :rolleyes:

BackPacker
8th Mar 2012, 15:45
I can't help you with your specific query, but in general it's best to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before sending stuff to the CAA. Every time the CAA has to touch your paperwork, for whatever reason, it's going to cost you money. (With the possible exception of recording the fact you revalidated a class or type rating.)

mad_jock
8th Mar 2012, 16:03
The school will give you the required paperwork for the PPL license and the RT examinor will give you it for the FRTOL.

Then send everything in to gether with yet another form which is the payment form :D

Genghis the Engineer
8th Mar 2012, 18:02
Unless I'm very much mistaken, you only did a practice skill test today, since the rules (certainly for NPPL, and I assume also for JAR?) require you to have passed the FRTL before taking your skill test.

I should go and have a word with your school, sounds like either you or they screwed up somewhat and you've just wasted a great deal of money.

I hope I'm wrong, and can't lay my hands on any docs at the moment, but I'm sure I've seen a guidance document somewhere that required an FTROL pass before presenting for a skill test?

G

PilotPieces
8th Mar 2012, 18:30
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_lts_LASORS2010_Section%20C.pdf

See section C1.6

Also note that if you send in the application for PPL and FRTOL together you will save yourself the extra fee.

dan_vector
8th Mar 2012, 18:37
You can hold a PPL without the FRTOL but without the FRTOL you will be unable to use the aircraft radios to communicate as you will be un radio licenced.

You can take a skills test either before or after the FRTOL, however if you apply for the PPL and FRTOL separately I.e. in different envelopes you will pay 2 fees.

The PPL Skills test pass is valid for 6 months for licence issue so my advice is to crack on with the FRTOL exam soonest and send both forms together. It will save time and money!

Hope the above helps - its all in LASORS.

Regards, D.

Whopity
8th Mar 2012, 20:18
But Lasors seems to say that it has to be applied for "on a separate form" after the licence has been issued.No, I don't think it says anything of the sort. Here are some important bits:Applicants for a JAR-FCL PPL
should be aware that they must also pass the practical
Communications test if they wish to apply for the
additional FRTOL, which is a separate licence, required
under different legislation.

Validity - The RTF written examinations and practical
test for a stand-alone licence are valid for a period of 12
months for licence issue. Where a candidate completes
the examinations for a FRTOL in conjunction with a course
of training for a JAR-FCL PPL, the validity of the radiotelephony
examinations may be extended to 24 months from
the date of passing the last PPL theoretical examination,
provided that all examinations are passed within a 18
month period and that application for both licences is
made concurrently. PPL holders who subsequently wish to
obtain a FRTOL will be required to complete the practical
Communications test and apply within 12 months.
So if you apply for the licences separately, both FRTOL exams have to be passed within 12 months of the application.

The choice is yours!

Sensible Flyer
9th Mar 2012, 18:15
Right, think I'll just chill out and send the lot in once I've done the FRTOL test! Don't understand the 24 months/18 months sentence in the section of Lasors quoted, but all my exam passes are within 18 months so I guess it doesn't matter in any case!

Cheers all.

Whopity
10th Mar 2012, 22:26
If all exams are passed in an 18 month period, they have a validity period of 24 months from the date of the last exam completed, including the FRTOL exams. Normally, the latter would only have a 12 month validity if not combined with the PPL training.