PDA

View Full Version : IFR help

NZpilotMDH
8th Mar 2012, 03:28
Hi guys/gals

I was wondering if anyone could lend me a hand as im having some trouble understanding/ making sense of this in regards to: Maintaining a track on a radial using the HSI.

Would this be correct:
To maintain a track on a radial in nil wind conditions it is simply a matter of flying the selected radial. If wind is present then drift needs to be set in order to maintain that radial. Basically we just need to keep the CDI in the centre to maintain the track.

Cheers MDH

The Green Goblin
8th Mar 2012, 03:41
Don't worry about drift, just maintain the CDI in the centre.

If you're on approach and it goes outside half scale deflection, commence missed approach.

Simple.

NZpilotMDH
8th Mar 2012, 03:55
Cheers for the help Green goblin, havnt started IFR flying yet but ill keep that in mind about the missed approach ;).

baswell
8th Mar 2012, 03:59
Correcting for wind drift is an ADF/NDB thing; just keeping the needle pointing up will make you fly there in a circular pattern like a moth to a flame.

Not a problem with VOR or (of course) GPS.

PilotKarl_777-300
8th Mar 2012, 04:03
I was wondering if anyone could lend me a hand as im having some trouble understanding/ making sense of this in regards to: Maintaining a track on a radial using the HSI.

I just recently started reading Bob Taits Instrument rating study guide great book highly recommend. As to the above question the only thing i can think of is that the HSI is situated with the CDI like iv'e seen on some aircraft.

To maintain a track on a radial in nil wind conditions it is simply a matter of flying the selected radial. If wind is present then drift needs to be set in order to maintain that radial. Basically we just need to keep the CDI in the centre to maintain the track.

YES! this is correct if you don't hold for drift you won't maintain CDI centered on your given track.

Don't worry about drift, just maintain the CDI in the centre.

If you're on approach and it goes outside half scale deflection, commence missed approach.

Green Goblin it sounds as if you have a lot of money! :E

NZpilotMDH
8th Mar 2012, 04:11
Hi pilot Karl thanks for the info, ill have a look at that book.
You know if you can get it in NZ?

The Green Goblin
8th Mar 2012, 04:29
No Karl,

I just sip my coffee and let the box worry about things like sector entries and drift.

As for a tracking via a HSI you don't need to worry about a thing. Keep it centered and the rest is drift.

On an NDB, it's a good idea to know what the wind is doing and allow for it else you'll be zig zagging all the way along the required track.

The box does a good job of all that too :ok:

Unless you're a tiger pilot and the company makes you fly selected/selected for NPAs 'cause they are too stingy to pay for a database.

That's another thread however :ok:

The Green Goblin
8th Mar 2012, 04:31
P.S

Bob Tait is for passing the Australian IREX exam. It's not for learning how to fly IFR.

It'll confuse the crap out of you being in NZ.

Stick to your regs for theory an your instructor for practical. It'll all make sense after a dozen or so hours in the synthetic trainer.

Wally Mk2
8th Mar 2012, 04:39
'NZ' if you understand how to follow an ILS (the lateral component of the ILS) in a cross wind for Eg then it's the same deal as a VOR radial or even an ADF needle if you have a rotating card under the needle(RMI):-)

Selected/selected isn't so bad 'GG' keeps you on the ball & in the loop:ok:

Wmk2

PilotKarl_777-300
8th Mar 2012, 04:57
Bob Tait is for passing the Australian IREX exam. It's not for learning how to fly IFR.

Well basically what TGG said, im not sure how NZ IFR sector compares with Aus. While were on this topic is their an actual major difference between the two?

I just sip my coffee and let the box worry about things like sector entries and drift.

What ever happened to working it out using a CR-2 ? :E
Some boxes do tend to go flat out on you! :(

Howard Hughes
8th Mar 2012, 05:04
Some boxes do tend to go flat out on you!
It's OK the other box can take over if need be...:E

The Green Goblin
8th Mar 2012, 05:05
The box itself is a backup to the box if the box becomes US. Plus there is another box with its own box backing it up.

You have lots of boxes in other words :8 They also have plenty of power sources with backup power sources. Basically you'd have more to worry about than the box if that all stopped :{

As for selected/selected Wally, well, enjoy that! I've still got 1000s of hours Metro time to fall back on if I need it :E

This makes me appreciate the box even more :ok:

27/09
8th Mar 2012, 08:09
Take a look here. These guys have an excellent range of books for all of the New Zealand subjects. They have exactly what you need for your IFR study etc.

Pilot Books Website (http://pilotbooks.co.nz/index.php?page=ourbooks)

Fondair
8th Mar 2012, 10:56
You guys have filthy minds....

Jabawocky
8th Mar 2012, 11:15
its all too confusing....just keep the stuff lined up....if it is outside the half scale fokker off and do it properly ....again....

Heck...I oughta know :}