PDA

View Full Version : Does an FAA CFI need to be current for a BFR

SloppyJoe
7th Mar 2012, 20:10
Wondering if anyone knows if an FAA instructor with a valid instructors rating can conduct a flight review for someone who is still current but needs the review soon without being current themselves or having a medical.

Pretty sure I don't need a medical but as I have not done a BFR in a long time can I still do a review for someone who is current and would be PIC?

Thanks.

Becketts
8th Mar 2012, 02:11
Just happened to have a copy of the FAR's in front of me - §61.23(b)(5) states that a medical certificate is not required:

"When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate if the person is not acting as pilot in command or serving as a required pilot flight crewmember"

Providing the individual is current in category and class they can act as PIC, meaning you are not required to have a medical. However if it is for the renewal of instrument privileges you become a required crew member and thus a medical is then required. Hope this helps!

SloppyJoe
9th Mar 2012, 12:40
Thanks, could not find anything about the CFI needing to be current if not acting as PIC so pretty sure you don't need to be.