PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Engine failure on Take off from Sydney

mackie_1951
6th Mar 2012, 09:40
QF487 8.00pm 767 flight from Sydney to Melbourne suffered engine failure in left side engine on take off. Landed approx 10-15 minutes after take off after maintaining low altitude. Loud bang reported. Report from a passenger sitting in window seat over engine did not report seeing anything from the engine.

News report will be attached when available

Capt Fathom
6th Mar 2012, 10:03
Report from a passenger sitting in window seat over engine did not report seeing anything from the engine.

Engines are very reluctant to let you see anything!

What was that? A car backfired! I'm off to investigate. Back soon with a full report! :E

BlackandBrown
6th Mar 2012, 10:14
It strikes me that Qantas have a disproportionate number of incidents due to technical failures. The company are extremely lucky to have such competent pilots.

SLFguy
6th Mar 2012, 12:48
"The company are extremely lucky to have such competent pilots."

Practice;)

helen-damnation
6th Mar 2012, 16:47
I'd rather be lucky than good :ok:

mackie_1951
6th Mar 2012, 18:48
'Bird strike' on jet (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/bird-strike-on-jet-20120306-1uipk.html)

barit1
6th Mar 2012, 19:42
Carburettor or ignition problem, with muffler failure.

Escape Path
8th Mar 2012, 00:43
Report from a passenger sitting in window seat over engine did not report seeing anything from the engine.

A seat over an engine? That's a new one.

From the linked article:

A QANTAS flight bound for Melbourne was forced to return to Sydney after passengers reported seeing sparks and flames outside their window last night.

I thought nothing was seen from the engine... :confused:

''There was a deafening, vibrating roar''

Err, a jet engine at takeoff power? :E

mackie_1951
8th Mar 2012, 09:42
Thank you all for your very constructive comments on what I thought was a report people might be interested in. I see now that this is not appreciated but just there for more " intelligent " members to pass judgement on. I will leave any further reports to those more qualified to comment.

Noah Zark.
8th Mar 2012, 17:22
Mackie
I see you are an apparent "newbie" on Pprune, so welcome. But, as per your reply above, you really do need to "man up" a bit. Don't take offence so easily. If people really meant to upset you, you would be in no doubt at all. Gird your loins, get stuck in, it's only a bit of light-hearted banter. :)

BobbyHowie
13th Mar 2012, 13:42
Talking of QANTAS engine failures - anyone see Aircraft Investigation the other night? That QANTAS A380 engine failure was a good bit more than an engine failure! Lost power in another 2 engines and hydrolics. Looked pretty scary.

keel beam
20th Mar 2012, 16:06
Quote:
''There was a deafening, vibrating roar''
Err, a jet engine at takeoff power? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

This is what was heard on the outside for this incident,

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/283372-delta-b767-multiple-bird-strike.html

I would say the pax's comment in their incident to be a fair representation. :ok: