PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Student Study Guide

exGR4
6th Mar 2012, 09:14
Hi there

Does anyone have, or know where I might find a pdf of the Bulldog Student Study Guide? I left OUAS 12 years ago, but it looks like I am going to be able to get some time in the mighty dog at my local club.

Any help appreciated!

ML

airborne_artist
6th Mar 2012, 09:35
beagle pup and bulldog club home (http://www.beaglepupandbulldogclub.co.uk/) may help?

sharpend
6th Mar 2012, 10:12
Don't think we have one in PDF format, but try Roger Hayes (CFI) on 01285851311. Better still, come and join us. Nothing like formation flying.

I have both student study guide and instructors manual.

Derek Sharp
Skysport UK

Melchett01
6th Mar 2012, 10:41
Can't help myself, but if you are on Facebook I know there is a Scottish Aviation Bulldog owners / operators group. It has a lot of Swedes, I think, but there are quite a few Brits on there as well, including at least one person I went through UBAS with. They might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

airborne_artist
6th Mar 2012, 10:52
Nothing like formation flying.

Solo LL was fun aged 19 :}

BEagle
6th Mar 2012, 11:18
Nothing like formation flying.

Indeed so, Blunty old bean! I recall an epic pairs low level battle formation thrunge around Exmoor with you in the other Hawk about 30 years ago!

Maybe see you on Friday if Roger has the 'dog back? It was due back yesterday, but I haven't heard anything yet. I've been asked to write another magazine article which will feature Skysport UK.

sharpend
6th Mar 2012, 12:39
I'm supposed to be leading that formation of 3! But, as usual, Roger is lacking in info. No reason why G-BCUS is not back by then.

Just looked on Kemble Cams and see that the Pup is not there, so I suspect it has gone to Biggen to pick up the dog.

Torque Tonight
6th Mar 2012, 16:05
I have PDFs of the various Bulldog manuals which I scanned myself from my original hard copies. However, as I'm still a signatory to 'the Act' I don't feel too warm and fuzzy about releasing these into the public domain. AFAICR they were all marked restricted. Is there any precedent on this?

P6 Driver
6th Mar 2012, 19:00
I have PDFs of the various Bulldog manuals which I scanned myself from my original hard copies. However, as I'm still a signatory to 'the Act' I don't feel too warm and fuzzy about releasing these into the public domain. AFAICR they were all marked restricted. Is there any precedent on this?

With tongue VERY firmly in cheek, I assume you scanned these restricted docs in an official capacity, otherwise you may have broken the terms of the "Act" already by making copies!
:ok:

It's only Me
6th Mar 2012, 19:52
Have Student/Instructor Guides and the ODM if needed.

Me

PS also have a Bulldog

Torque Tonight
6th Mar 2012, 20:17
P6,

Ahem, it was only hypothetical, and it wasn't me that did it, and it all went in the shredder anyway etc etc.

P6 Driver
6th Mar 2012, 20:32
In that case, I hypothetically believe you!

brakedwell
7th Mar 2012, 09:57
Solo LL was fun aged 19 :}

Even more fun in a Vampire aged 19 :}:}

Herod
7th Mar 2012, 15:37
Or a JP, aged 18.

Peter Carter
7th Mar 2012, 16:28
Those who remember Terry Bushnell might know that he was a supersonic teenager on the Lightning...
Probably unlikely these days.

clareprop
7th Mar 2012, 16:57
I have a Pup 160 Checklist.

As far as I recall, the only difference was a slightly bigger engine and a larger cockpit to accommodate the larger helmet...;)

ACW418
7th Mar 2012, 17:02
Brakedwell and Herod. Hear hear!

ACW

sharpend
7th Mar 2012, 17:56
There are far more differences than just bigger engine and more head room. The Bulldog as a constant speed prop for a start and a bubble/sliding cannopy instead of doors.

airborne_artist
7th Mar 2012, 18:00
Isn't there are a limited inverted flight fuel system on the Dog's engine instead of a standard carb with a float, too?

BEagle
7th Mar 2012, 18:48
The Bulldog fuel system includes a boost pump which provides sufficient fuel pressure to cope with aerobatics. The engine has an 'injector carburettor' rather than a simple old-fashioned float carburettor. The intake senses air pressure demands; differential air pressure then controls a fuel metering ball valve through which fuel flows to a flow divider and thence to each cylinder. A sort of poor man's fuel injection system - but which worked well except for hot restarts on the ground which were often problematic as the flow divider became heat-soaked.

The limiting factor for inverted flight was oil pressure - normally detected by the prop rpm decreasing as the CSU went to coarse pitch with reducing oil pressure. I gather that a mod. was introduced after my time which was supposed to fix this.

The Bulldog is slightly larger and heavier than the Pup and has a 200 hp Lycoming. Ser.1 Pups had a 100 hp R-R Continental, Ser.2 a 150 hp Lycoming and the rare Ser.3 Pup 160 had a 160 hp Lycoming. Nevertheless, the additional weight and drag of the Bulldog means that there is little difference in handling characteristics between the Pup and the Bulldog which have similar wing and power loading; both have light, well-harmonised control forces and fly beautifully.

Blunty, Roger tells me that the 'dog is back and looks stunning!

Top West 50
7th Mar 2012, 19:14
I ferried one of the first Bulldogs from the factory to Rissi - happy days!

clareprop
7th Mar 2012, 19:25
[QUOTE]and a bubble/sliding cannopy instead of doors.[QUOTE]
For the big helmet...(s)

I never had the pleasure of flying a Bulldog but had many happy hours of aerobatics in a 160. All about energy conservation as I recall.

"Poor man's Spitfire" my CFI was fond of telling me. An exaggeration obviously but I didn't know any better at the time and loved every moment in that aircraft.

sharpend
7th Mar 2012, 21:34
I ferried one of the first Bulldogs to Chuch Fenton ... happy days

sharpend
7th Mar 2012, 21:36
Hi Beagle, Yes I might pop over to Kemble on Friday. What time you arriving?

BEagle
7th Mar 2012, 22:15
Not sure yet, mate - I'll need to check with Roger tomorrow.

Will look out for that red 'Fiat'.....;)

hugh flung_dung
8th Mar 2012, 14:33
I've just put the student guide at the end of this link: http://db.tt/zv2cToxO (http://db.tt/zv2cToxO)and will leave the file there for a few weeks (it's a 9.6MB PDF). I'm trying to get the instructor guide down to a reasonable size and if I can do so will add a link later.

HFD

hugh flung_dung
8th Mar 2012, 15:36
The instructor guide (with the Nav sections) will be available here: Dropbox - Bulldog Instructor Guide.pdf.pdf (http://db.tt/qeU3r1Fe) for a few weeks. Unfortunately it's nearly 48MB, but that's better than the 140+ I started with.

HFD
(edited to remove bizarre text added by Dropbox or PPRUNE)

Trim Stab
8th Mar 2012, 20:05
I don't believe such a document ever existed at CUAS..

TBkiller
9th Mar 2012, 08:00
I know when I was flying the Bulldog at UWAS in 1992/3 we never had access to these documents. No doubt the QFIs had hold of them. Thanks for posting though, these are great.

Does anyone know if you can get your hands on the checklist and cardboard cutout cockpits we used to get too?

I'm, actually on the lookout for a Bulldog T1. Do you know any that are up for sale UK wise? Be good to know what hours/FI they have too enroute to the "dreaded" wing spar mod....

Geoff

exGR4
27th Mar 2012, 11:59
HFD, you're a super star.

Captain Gadget
27th Mar 2012, 20:12
Sharpend

Please see your PMs.

Gadget :ok:

MrBernoulli
27th Mar 2012, 21:46
I know when I was flying the Bulldog at UWAS in 1992/3 we never had access to these documents. No doubt the QFIs had hold of them.That appears to imply that your UWAS QFIs weren't doing their job! Are you sure about that statement of yours?

I instructed UAS students on the Bullldog from 1994, and the Student Study Guide existed long before that. All UAS students were required to have the SSG, and all QFIs had the Flying Instructors Guide. They have been around a very long time.

The publishing date of 1995 on the downloads on this forum is merely a (major) revision update. ALs (Amendment Lists) were usually minor updates and often involved the holder of the document correcting text in their own handwriting!

SARowl
28th Mar 2012, 11:23
Ah, happy days. Sitting in the sunshine at Topcliffe unable to fly because of thick haze in the Vale of York, using the full size cardboard instrument panel replicas to learn the checks...

XX514
29th Mar 2012, 13:24
....while the instructors played interminable games of croquet!

Firefox7
12th Dec 2012, 11:20
HFD
Having just started flying on the Bulldog I am please to see your downloads are still available, many thanks for this info.
Mark http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/infopop/icons/icon7.gif

hugh flung_dung
12th Dec 2012, 18:38
Thanks for the thanks!

I've just found that I have a full Bulldog airframe parts manual that is now surplus to requirements - hmm, it has to be worth something to the right person

HFD

ABL262
6th Jan 2013, 10:33
Hi everyone and many thanks to HFD for posting his links to the Bulldog training manuals. The annex to Sortie 36 in the Instructor Manual (Targeting Introduction and Laydown Attack) is brilliant and is extracted from the SSG (Navigator). Like many on this thread, we never knew these docs existed at my UAS in the 80s. Has anybody out there got a complete copy of Volume 3, SSG (UAS Navigator)? If so, can you please post or PM me with details of how I might get hold of a copy. Many thanks, ABL262 (current Bulldog flyer).

Captain Gadget
6th Jan 2013, 20:01
I'd like to add my thanks to HFD for the Student Study Guide and Instructors' Guide.

Just started flying the mighty 'Dog again in 2012 (last flown with OUAS in 1978-81!). Boy, is this little lot going to bring back memories of some salad days!

I have always told people that my degree was in Punting and Aerobatics - now some of them can see why...

Thanks mate

Gadget :ok:

BEagle
6th Jan 2013, 20:13
Has anybody out there got a complete copy of Volume 3, SSG (UAS Navigator)?

That's easy:

1. Shut up.
2. Watch this.
3. Use the honk bag.
4. Repeat 1 to 3 as oft as ye shall have need.

ShyTorque
6th Jan 2013, 20:41
Anyone had a flight in the Bullfinch?

Well Travelled Nav
29th Jan 2019, 19:30
Hi hugh flung_dung (https://www.pprune.org/members/4885-hugh-flung_dung). Please could you repost the Bulldog Student Study Guide Link as I would like to use it for Air Cadet Lessons on a Flight Sim. Thanks

hugh flung_dung
29th Jan 2019, 20:06
Your wish is my, errr, whatever
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rw287l0pucwzj4/Bulldog%20Instructor%20Guide.pdf.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t6r7fsxuh0qi3b/Bulldog%20Student%20Guide_searchable.pdf?dl=0

If only all desires were so easily and painlessly satisfied :E

Mighty Fin
8th Dec 2020, 09:36
Hi Hugh Flung Dung,

I’m searching for the Bulldog Instructor and Student Study guide ahead of an FI check in the mighty ‘Dog. Is there any chance you could re-post your guides?

Many thanks,

Phil

hugh flung_dung
8th Dec 2020, 09:58
The links ^^^ should still be active

HFD