PDA

View Full Version : GTT

metalman2
6th Mar 2012, 00:23
Gotta go for a Glucose Tolerance Test in the next week, any advice, apart from not eating cakes for the last 45 years, on getting a good results?

Frank Arouet
6th Mar 2012, 00:38
good results

Wouldn't it be better to get accurate results?

Is this an aviation thing?

Who said you've "got to" have the test?

Good reasons for asking, PM me if you want.

T28D
6th Mar 2012, 01:25
Go onto a low Carb low sugar diet ASAP drink ONLY water and lots of it for the week, no BOOZE.

System should be Ok for the test, on the morning of the test FAST but drink lots water it doesn't count in the fasting routine.

FlareHighLandLong
6th Mar 2012, 01:48
Follow the instructions given, and hopefully it will all go sweet.

If it doesn't - don't accept the result straight up. There is a reason that your body won't like getting smacked with glucose, and failing the test definitely does NOT mean your body has a problem!

stevep64
6th Mar 2012, 05:21
Make sure you take a book or magazine with you. The two hours will go a lot quicker if you do. I've had two of them in the past year, the last one because I was 0.1 over the limit on my blood glucose level for a class 3.

Frank Arouet
6th Mar 2012, 08:28
M man, check your PM's.

metalman2
19th Mar 2012, 23:49
4.6 bsl,,,, quite releaved really, thank T28 almost did your diet, had a few beers and a bit of red, but all good, this is the first time I've had my class 2 under scrutiny and I don't like it!!!!:D
Thanks for the advice all
Met

Skywagon1915
19th Mar 2012, 23:59
Some years ago, like about 10, I did one for a new insurance policy and went just over by a few decimal points. I complained about it, did it again and passed. But because of the first one, doctor who was the DAME, noted it. CASA got hold of it and has made life difficult ever since, even with very good fasting levels etc.

So fight like hell to keep that big D stamp off your forehead, especially for a Class 1/2. Nothing after 8:30 the night before too, no late desert or snacks ... zip !

Calldepartures
20th Mar 2012, 00:27
Whats the upper limit before they pull your class 1? I think mine was 4.9 last time

Skywagon1915
20th Mar 2012, 00:43
If you stay at Type 2 and well controlled by diet or tablets, you can still hold the Class 1. Not sure after that if you are Type 1 and insulan dependant. Your fasting level is very good between 4-6 but the GTT is a different test over a 2 hour period where the limit for it might be 11 or 13, not quite sure now. They give you several drinks of glucose high in sugar and take samples enroute to see if your system can cope.

metalman2
20th Mar 2012, 01:14
I had a kidney stone at christmas and one of the tests came up at 7.5, my GP said that extreme pain can send your BSL way up , not sure if CASA got a hold of that or if it was my BMI going up slightly, either way I had to do this test ,I'm not sure what the upper limit is but I am usually around 5.5 ,so staying away from the lollies and cakes for a week might have made a big difference. Problem is it runs in the family, diabetes and eating cakes, so unless I'm a bit more careful with my eating habits I may find this will be a recurring thing!