PDA

View Full Version : Low vis ops -taxi

tubby linton
5th Mar 2012, 14:11
This has recently appeared as an item on my company's recurrent simulator syllabus. Does anybody have any references to regulatory materials or guides on this subject?

rudderrudderrat
5th Mar 2012, 14:23
Hi tubby linton,

It has to done from ramp to runway at least every 3 years.
See page 28, 17d.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_l&ts_Stds%20Doc%2024_v8.pdf

tubby linton
5th Mar 2012, 14:50
Thank you for the link though I was looking more for the rules on how to do it rather than the reason why we have to do it.

BOAC
5th Mar 2012, 14:58
I don't think there are any 'rules' as it is basically commonsense.

tubby linton
7th Mar 2012, 14:17
Can you dispatch if the current RVR are below your take off limits and are there any RVR limits for manoeuvring on the ground??

I-2021
7th Mar 2012, 15:08
Hi tubby,

You will find a lot of useful informations and operational procedures in the airport briefing charts, under the sections that deal with low visibility. Usually airlines develop their own procedures regarding low vis ops during taxi, such as specific briefings, anticipating/delaying the checklists to be both heads up when the airplane is moving, specific taxi speed etc..
Since you will undergo a recurrent training on that subject you should check with your operator if there is any company material available to apply your standard.
Concerning your last question, you need to check with specific airport restrictions and your company restrictions. For instance getting to the holding point and being stuck there because your minimums (for any reason) are higher that the runway required minimums doesn't make sense. Better wait for a stable RVR improvement that meets your criteria to avoid wasting lots of fuel and delaying other airplanes at the holding point.

tubby linton
7th Mar 2012, 16:08
I-2021,surprisingly for an airline that has been Cat 3 capable for over twenty years our manuals are rather light on any guidance about this subject hence my question.

rudderrudderrat
7th Mar 2012, 16:28
Hi tubby linton,

The reference I gave in #2 has what is expected in the previous paragraphs.
Don't get lost, keep a good look out and don't hit anything.

Can't you use your sonar?

Dream Land
7th Mar 2012, 16:51
Use the SMGS charts if available, both pilots have taxi charts out, set parking brake during checklists, hold short at the Cat II hold, any others?

tubby linton
7th Mar 2012, 16:55
Use compass headings to confirm you are on the correct taxiway.

Sir George Cayley
7th Mar 2012, 18:55
If the airport has a switchable taxiway lighting system, then 'follow the greens' can take a load off finding the holding point.

If not, and there are either no taxiway lights or all greens are on, just call for a follow me car. Then getting you safely to the holding point is the airports responsibility.

Beware of practicing LVO taxiing practice in a sim as the visuals often aren't representative.

SGC

BOAC
7th Mar 2012, 19:26
....and make sure the RVR is enough for the tug driver to get you out of the cul-de-sac you have just entered:)

aviatorhi
9th Mar 2012, 08:45
I find taxiing in the simulators to be an atrocious representation of reality. I think it's mostly to do with the way the visibility is programmed, but while I can comfortably see all lights and signs in reality, in the simulator I often cannot, and when I do, since it's a two dimensional wrap around screen, any intersection with multiple outlets on the same side get's confusing quickly.

Also, having never gone down the wrong strip of pavement in reality, I quickly headed right into a ramp area in a simulator when cleared to the runway, though, I realized my predicament rather quickly.

I think reasonable instructors understand the limitations of the boxes and judge accordingly.