PDA

View Full Version : EK April

Kempus
4th Mar 2012, 09:55
Hey folks,

Moving out to Dubai to start with EK in April. I believe that Silicon Oasis is now full so where are they putting families? EK seem reluctant to tell me until I go over and trying to find a school is proving an issue dependant on the area.

Anyone else starting in April or can help with my querey?

Kempus

Cowtown
4th Mar 2012, 11:10
Hi Kempus,

Welcome to EK.
Many are now being allocated villas in 'Layan' community, aka Al Waha, aka Salwan.
The villas aren't bad at all and the compound finally has a small shop. Unfortunately there still isn't a safe access road, not too bad during daylight but at night be careful. Last week we had a car on it's roof in the dipping s-bends.
Many send their children to either Greenfield community school or to Gems Wellington at DSO. You may simply have to settle with whichever school has a place. Don't be fooled by any HR pr regarding JESS. Very long waiting list.
Can I ask where you are coming from? Moral is on the slide again and the leave system is shameful, for most but not all.
Feel free to pm and I will happily answer any questions or put the mrs in touch with mine.
Good luck.

supatiger
4th Mar 2012, 11:16
Not sure where they are puting the guys but on your portal when I joined it told me my villa number. Ask them where, as you want to send furniture over and you need an address to send it to, they may respond to that.

Regards
Dave

Kempus
4th Mar 2012, 11:27
Hi,

On the portal it just says that the allocation is being processed and will be available shortly. I'm taking the unfurnished option and they know this but still nothing. I heard that guys who started in Jan were placed in Jumeirah but not sure where abouts as according to google maps it's pretty much the entire beach line.

Kempus

kennedy
4th Mar 2012, 14:24
Kempus,

At the moment, whole lot of new joiners, (FO's with Families) are being put in Layan community, sometimes called Al Waha or the Salwan Villas.

To find them on Google maps, look for the Arabian ranches, and follow the road that leads out into the desert towards the Dubai Bypass road, and they are on that junction.

Some families love it, the others hated it, hence why there are empty villas as they moved out to rent elsewhere!

Kempus
4th Mar 2012, 14:52
Ah, found it in the sand and under the approach for the military airfield. Your right, a bit out of town. Wouldn't mind so much if there was a bit more out there but it's sparse! Villas look big tho and have a reasonable sized garden/sandpit. Apart from that...........

Kempus

GShocker
4th Mar 2012, 20:26
What about the apartments, where are they located?

Kempus
5th Mar 2012, 18:01
Friend starting this week is moving into millennium towers.

Jolly Foreigner
16th Mar 2012, 07:16
There's four empty villas sitting awaiting new emtrants in DSO Semmer around the corner from me - all been empty for a while.

Round D. Globe
16th Mar 2012, 18:24
Is there a web site or any way to look up these complexes? Mrs. Globe and I would like to look at some photos of the areas.

Jet II
17th Mar 2012, 06:30
Al Waha Villas | Properties | Dubai Properties Group (http://dubaipropertiesgroup.ae/en/properties/Al-Waha-Villas)

Bunktime
19th Mar 2012, 05:05
What's the maid situation there. Are they easily available?
Or can you get your own help when you move in. Thanks

Bunktime
19th Mar 2012, 10:25
Was just a thought seaman. And if it is inevitable, then why not tackle it now. Just a couple of steps ahead (maybe).
Haven't answered my query though ..;)

BigGeordie
19th Mar 2012, 10:34
It is cheap and easy enough to get an agency maid for a few hours per week (about 30-35Dhs an hour) to keep you going for the time it takes you to sponsor your own. You might find a few hours a week is enough and you don't need full time help. Really, getting a maid will be the least of your hassles.

Bunktime
19th Mar 2012, 10:48
Many thanks BigG.
Kinda my thought towards the Mrs and her well being. Wanna keep the ship afloat once(if) i'm there u see ...;)

offroad7
19th Mar 2012, 15:41
I know someone who started this week and moved into Millennium above the 20th floor

Kempus
19th Mar 2012, 20:39
Seems some places still available in DSO as I've just been offered one of the cedre ones.

Anyone else starting in April?

Flaps5speed180
20th Mar 2012, 16:55
I'm starting as a single FO in April and been allocated Manazel Aprts in Al Barsha. Anyone have any info on what the 2 bed Aprts are like there? Any photos? I also read that they have appliances already installed, is that true? Might not send my own if it is.

Bodil
20th Mar 2012, 19:52
Also starting in April. Got DSO Semmer villas. See you!

Flaps5speed180
21st Mar 2012, 09:28
Givemewings thanks for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Looks like a fairly good place to be!

odericko2000
21st Mar 2012, 09:33
Hi guyz,

I know this might be the wrong thread to ask this, but i really want to get abit of insight if a move to EK is really worth the billing.

I am currently a 767 F/O at my current airline, with the option of soon to move to the 777 or Command the Embraer 170/190, the pay isn't bad actually as a skipper on the E jet i will be making the same or slightly more than an EK F/O, albeit without the benefits like school fees and housing, but the cost of living here is pretty cheap, and besides its home.

My dilemma is the fact that my wife is currently based in Dubai, and her efforts to get a job back home haven't been very successful, so she has been pushing me to try and apply for EK, my only Question is, is it really worth the hype or i might leave and regret later, my Airline isn't perfect, it has its shortcomings but its a great place to be at, the future also looks promising with 787 orders and 777-300ER's to be delivered next year.

Is it really worth it being a contract pilot in EK?

Honest unbiased answers will be appreciated. thank you:ok:

Cowtown
21st Mar 2012, 10:16
Odericko,

I'm not sure what you are hoping for by a move to EK, apart from you and your wife's employer being located in the same area.

Ask yourself will your current employer take you back in a few years if you decided to leave EK?

There are many here who left a secure and happy position in search of the elusive greener grass.

If being able to plan ahead and get half decent leave isn't a priority then there's plenty of good points here.

Good luck.

nolimitholdem
21st Mar 2012, 11:38
Is it really worth it being a contract pilot in EK?

No.

Your wife needs a new job.

Failing that you need a new wife.

Your taking a job with Emirates will only compound her mistake of moving to Dubai.

King on a Wing
21st Mar 2012, 11:46
Odericko,
Wondering why you would call EK a "contract job".
It's not as if you renew your contract every 3 years....!!
It's a permanent job with a real carreer progression.
And it IS worth it!
Cheers..

nolimitholdem
21st Mar 2012, 12:46
Wondering too why you would call it a contract job when really, with EK (as all ME carriers), there is no contract. Not when it doesn't suit them, anyway. Just be aware that the unilateral changes to your "contract" (for lack of a better term for the worthless piece of paper you sign when you join), probably won't enhance your "carreer" progression.

Just curious KOAW, do you even work for Emirates? Not saying that you aren't entitled to your opinion, but I always find it curious that the staunchest defenders of the place are either DECs like Wiz or those trying to obtain employment at EK.

odericko2000
21st Mar 2012, 22:31
Thanks for your response Cowtown, KOW and Nolimitholdem,

@Cowtown, you said there are a few good pointers within the Airline, if it isn't too much to ask is it possible to just say give me a few, so i way them against the obvious negatives that litter all the middle east threads.

@Nolimitholdem, No holds barred on your post but i still found your comment on me finding a new wife quite humorous, :}. Thanks for the insight though, it must be a real sacrifice to fly for EK i guess, Just heard one of our ex capt who went to EK in the early 90's and was a T7 capt, is back home and is keen even for a gig on the E jet, he just got fed up of Dubai and left in 2010, i think i will try to find him and have a one on one.

@KOW, thanks your response is highly appreciated, and yeah always thought EK drivers are hired on contracts or something like that, thanks for the correction.

All the best guyz

Cowtown
22nd Mar 2012, 03:53
Odericko

Dubai and EK is what you make it. If your so inclined you can go from f/o to training capt in a little over 5 years. I'm talking about the 777 here. I'm on the bus and will be looking at 7 years plus to a command, thats even with considerable smaller jet command time.

The diverse route structure means you can pretty much cover the globe in a single month. Again I'm talking 777.

Being driven to and from work is a bonus, especially after a tiring night India turn. In return the company get to fudge your duty start time. Not sure how they get away with it, but they do.

Accommodation is to a good standard. We are very happy with our villa.

Education is generally to a high standard.

On the whole it is a safe place to live. Dubai has it's share of problems, but as always you have to go looking for it. Being a father I still take all the usual precautions.

There's lots for the kids to do, all be it at a price! My wife is now an expert at getting the kids from A to B and then on to C!

You learn fairly quickly to take nothing for granted and sadly to trust no one. Being able to pick up the phone and ring your base captain up for a favour just doesn't exist here.

Would I do it again knowing what I now know. Probably, we never learn.

Good luck in your choice.

daisy120
22nd Mar 2012, 08:18
On the subject of EK and Dubai etc and the business of DEC...if Cx were offering the same, would you make the move to HKG??

Arthsy
23rd Mar 2012, 12:46
Hello Guys,

I am considering EK and would like to know after how long is your family allowed to join you in Dubai.
Is it possible to arrive in Dubai with wife and kids on Day 1 or do we have to wait for a few weeks.

Thanks.

Bunktime
23rd Mar 2012, 15:57
Heard somewhere that the T & C's aren't very good.
For those out there, what would be the average 'take home' salary assuming approx 75 hours a month(for comparison purposes).
Assuming Captain on 777, staying in company accommodation and with say 2 kids under 18 yrs of age.
Thanks again. Please include allowances.

Cowtown
24th Mar 2012, 02:41
Arthsy,

A good buddy of mine arrived with his family on day one, no problems at all.

Kempus
24th Mar 2012, 11:39
For them to come on day one with you need to get them to authorize your joining ticket so they can come over at the same time or buy a ticket yourself for them. Either way you need to also pay 1000dhs per person for the visa transfer.

The wait for the family visa is around 3 weeks so up to you I'd you think it is worth it.

Kempus

Arthsy
24th Mar 2012, 12:09
Thanks for the info Cowtown and Kempus.

Cheers.

Bunktime
27th Mar 2012, 12:19
Guys hows the drinking water situation in Dubai. Is the tap water in the villas drinkable, like in most western countries. How does one manage if not. Kindly shed some light.
Thanks.

CAYNINE
27th Mar 2012, 13:14
Bunk, if water is your biggest concern I wish I had your stress free life, every household uses dispenser water it is cheap and delivered to the door, it's 9 dirhams ($2.46 us) per 19 liter bottle.

The tap water is of a reasonable standard but not as good as say Canada,Oz US etc but nowhere near as bad as Africa and further to the east of here.

Bunktime
27th Mar 2012, 14:10
Hey caynine. Thanks for your reply. And yes, the water is right now my biggest problem. And shortly, all of Dubai's problem....;)
No offense meant to anyone. Just tackling one issue after another...
Thanks y'all.

Bunktime
1st Apr 2012, 16:50
Spoke to some of my colleagues here. Something about tap water not being potable. Thus the dispensers i guess.

Praise Jebus
2nd Apr 2012, 03:46
The tap water is actually fine. It is desalinated just like the bottled water and to the same purity standard. What is the problem is the delivery system. The pipes, roof top tanks and all the crap that grows in it. You can have it filtered at home or buy the stuff cheap. Bunky the water doesn't fall from the sky here or at least very little of it. Over 90% is desalinated.

halas
2nd Apr 2012, 06:42
EK April becomes a question on tap-water quality?

And asking the same question over again from another thread?

halas

Bunktime
2nd Apr 2012, 08:11
Halas. Shukran for the upbeat reply. And for monioring my posts.....;)
Just a very genuine question from my end. Thx for the replies all.

Jet II
3rd Apr 2012, 05:55
Spoke to some of my colleagues here. Something about tap water not being potable. Thus the dispensers i guess.

The tap water is perfectly safe to drink - what do you think they use to make your coffee with on the plane?

A380 Jockey
3rd Apr 2012, 19:15
Bunktime,
For you and all your colleagues,the water here is as safe as the water in europe for drinking purposes. The fault, as someone earlier pointed out, lies in the outdated delivery system to each home/apartment.
I myself use bottled water. But that doesn't mean that the tap water is no good.
Just FYKI.
Moreover, the beer's better.

A380 driver
4th Apr 2012, 20:41
Guys,
I've got a son who's a complete health friek as is my wife and myself too. You know the gymming and swimming kind. Are there any such facilities easily available in or around the villas designated to you. Does EK give you and your family any free or complimentary membership to any clubs. And which is the best area to get a villa. I mean, that is presuming you have a choice.
Thanks again for your time gentlemen.

Rich8a10
5th Apr 2012, 08:54
If you join the Emirates Pilot Club you will have access to a lot of Hotels, Beach clubs and Gyms all around Dubai , and If you get a Villa in Silicon Oasis (where I live) you have Swimming pools, parks, gym, tennis and basketball courts all for free.

A380 driver
5th Apr 2012, 09:31
Thanks Rich. Can't help but notice that you said 'if you get' a villa in Silicone Oasis.
Therefore i'm presuming that one has no say in the matter whatsoever?
Thanks again

Rich8a10
5th Apr 2012, 16:13
They will ask you where would you like to live, but at the end it all depends on where they have available villas, I heard that Silicon is already full, but some are still getting villas in here from the people leaving the company.
Dont worry almost all the new villa compunds have comunity centers, with gym, pools, etc.

Good luck

A380 driver
9th Apr 2012, 17:35
Besides silicone oasis, which is the other area you would suggest. Good villas and decent surroundings please.
Thx

A380 driver
13th Apr 2012, 18:32
Once you start work, what's your immigration status. I mean, are you an expat on a work permit or a PR(permanent resident).
And what about your family. Can your kids do odd jobs in summer like say in the US.
Summer jobs...?

JPHIL68
17th Apr 2012, 12:32
Hi all

Just want to know the best place and the cost ,to relocate with my wife and 2 kids for f/o on bus.

Thank s

:ok:

little-paddy
17th Apr 2012, 21:52
Hi Guys,

Any f/o's who could recommend the best apartment blox? Preferably close to nightlife i.e. pubs/restaurants and a good gym in the building....

Any thoughts,

L-P

320operator
18th Apr 2012, 16:39
@little-paddy

Millennium tower on sheikh zayed road ticks all the boxes

BongleBear
18th Apr 2012, 17:20
Hi,

I'm due to fly out on May 18th to start Airbus training, just wondering if anyone knows when I'll get my travel plans confirmed? Is it as late as one week before?

Also, is it still Toulouse for the Airbus?

Many thanks,

B Bear

Bunktime
21st Apr 2012, 17:49
Bongle. You joining as FO or DEC...?

BongleBear
24th Apr 2012, 11:44
I'm joining as FO, nowhere near enough command time yet!

Thanks for the reply Varmint, London would be great for me, but not holding my breath! Just got an email today telling me I'll be 6-8wks in DXB then 3-6wks elsewhere for the sims.

Thanks again,
Bear

vfenext
24th Apr 2012, 12:08
Expect Stockholm for sim

groundtoflightdeck
24th Apr 2012, 14:10
When did you get the email and when did you interview Bongle?
Cheers

BongleBear
27th Apr 2012, 10:39
Thanks, Stockholm wouldn't be too bad I guess!

I had final interview in Jan and got the email last week, good luck