PDA

View Full Version : converting a CASA (OZ) to JAA (UK) licence

Learjet-45
4th Mar 2012, 09:38
Hi There,

I have been conducting flight training in Melbourne Australia to obtain a CPL and IFR.

Has anyone had any experince in what is involved in converting the Oz licence to UK CPL?

Any advice would be greatly recived no matter how small, I am going to try and put a call in to JAA on Monday for further clarity.

but the last thing I want is to spend $$$$$ here in oz only to have to re-study and train for a UK licence.

Learjet-45
4th Mar 2012, 12:08
wow I am amazed with all the pilots and technical know how on this site, but no one knows about this topic, I will let you all know what is involved once I have spoken JAA....Watch this space

Muddy Boots
4th Mar 2012, 12:41
Mate,

Give us a chance, you've waited a whole 2 1/2 hours on a Sunday afternoon before becoming impatient for a response!

I am in the middle of converting an FAA CPL IR Multi into a JAA/CAA license.

First things first you have to do the 14 ATPL exams. There are a couple of schools to choose from but Bristol and the Oxford seem to be the front runners. This will take 6 months if your rapid more likely a year plus for home study whilst working. Don't forget the four weeks mandatory brush up in a class room before your allowed to take each tranche of exams.

With the Exams passed you then need a minimum of 15 hours IR training of which 10 can be in a sim. This is a minimum and it is likely to take longer as you will be tested on an NDB approach which we don't have in America.

For the commercial you can take the check ride immediately but it would be arrogant to assume you'd pass without training into the UK nuances required. It seems the average is 10 hours.

Budget 10,000 Pounds for the flight portion and that excludes Multi Crew Training which isn't mandated but has now just become the done thing to have.

zondaracer
4th Mar 2012, 13:57
I did the conversion recently. You have to do the following considering that you have a non JAA CPL +IR +ME:

Successfully obtain a JAA Class 1 medical
Complete an ATPL theory course, either by residence or distance learning (takes about six months full time study if you do distance learning)
Complete the 14 ATPL theory exams
Complete a CPL flight test (no minimum hours required but expect around 10hours). If you complete this in a single engine aircraft, you will have single engine privileges, and if you do it in a ME, you will have ME privileges, but not SE.
Complete a minimum of 15 hours of Instrument training in JAA land, up to 10 hours can be counted in a FNPTII (simulator).
Complete an IR flight test. If you do this in a multi-engine aircraft (which is what most people do), you will have an IR valid for multiengine and single engine aircraft
Pass a test for the issue of a radiotelephony license.
Not required, but if you want to work at an airline you will need to do the MCC course

If you want your license from the UK, you will have to take the CPL skills test with a UK examiner. The medical can be done in other JAA countries but the papers have to be transferred to the UK and be issued by the UK CAA. The theory exams should be taken in the UK. You can then add ratings in other countries, such as the IR rating.

Use the search function... this has been well discussed. But to give you a head start:
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/469376-conversion-less-than-5-figures.html
http://www.pprune.org/nordic-forum/477771-jar-conversion-any-suggestions.html

Muddy Boots
4th Mar 2012, 16:01
Zondaracer,

A very comprehensive breakdown and I saw your other post on how to do it for less than 10,000Euros.

Can I ask a quick question? Where would you suggest to do the flying part of the conversion please?

MB

BillieBob
4th Mar 2012, 16:15
Bear in mind that the EU Regulation comes into force on 8 April and, whilst there will probably be no major changes to the requirements for conversion, some of the finer points of detail may not remain the same.

Learjet-45
6th Mar 2012, 08:28
Thanks very much for this, appreciated.

I had a word with a school in the UK and they seem to think you need to pass the ATPL subjects before you can convert a CPL, is that correct? or can you convert with just a flight test?

Jerry Lee
6th Mar 2012, 09:18
AFAIK, that's correct. You need to pass your ATPL subjects before converting your CPL.
Don't know what would be required if you wanted to have just a CPL...

zondaracer
6th Mar 2012, 10:56
You have to pass either all the ATPL exams or the CPL exams before the flight test. Most don't bother with the CPL exams and go straight to the ATPL exams.