PDA

View Full Version : Spotted in Flight International

snafu
3rd Mar 2012, 09:40
Nice to see the rank doesn't always have it's privileges!! :E (top left story)

Brassed off by Voyager bar (http://www.emagazine.flightinternational.com/1D4f47729796cc0012.cde/page/38)

dagama
3rd Mar 2012, 09:57
PSO for the high jump!

Tankertrashnav
3rd Mar 2012, 12:01
Reminds me of the time when OC RAF St Mawgan was refused boarding on an internal Ryanair flight because his RAF ID card was not on their list of acceptable proofs of identity. The fact that it was "his" airfield they were flying from cut no ice.

chinook240
3rd Mar 2012, 12:22
Sir Stephen Dalton was heard to mutter "but its my aircraft", surely the point of a PFI is that it isn't his aircraft:

"Voyager is being provided under a Private Finance Initiative (PFI) where the RAF will pay for usage as and when required with the contractor owning, managing and maintaining the aircraft as well as providing training facilities and specific support personnel."

Maybe that's why his name wasn't on the list!

BEagle
3rd Mar 2012, 12:44
"Don't tell him, Pike!"

Reminds me of the Gorbachev visit to Brize many years ago. A few of us were tasked to look after the visiting Sovietski jetski, everyone not involved was told to take the day off.

Wandering about in Ops, I overheard some visting multi-starred wheel expressing a wish to look around the Illy 62. "Not on the list, sir", muttered some jobsworth.....

"Let me have a word with my friendly Russians, sir", I said. Then wandered out to chat with the captain. Who was only happy to oblige. "Of course, no problem!". The chief stewardess, who was a bit like a motherly 1950s prep school matron, said she'd offer coffee.

Back to Ops.."Excuse me, sir, but they've said that as a special favour to the RAF, they will allow you on board". A bit economic with the truth, but so what. Out we strode to the jet, the crew were very welcoming and a gorgeous little blonde served him a cup of coffee with a smile and a giggle....

I think he realised then, that there wasn't really much difference between aircrews of both sides.

Re. CAS and the Voyager, one would hope that an apology will be rapidly forthcoming.....

airborne_artist
3rd Mar 2012, 12:49
I think he realised then, that there wasn't really much difference between aircrews of both sides.

Did the Russkies all have big "watches" too? ;)

airborne_artist
3rd Mar 2012, 12:55
Sir Stephen Dalton was heard to mutter "but its my aircraft", surely the point of a PFI is that it isn't his aircraft:

"Voyager is being provided under a Private Finance Initiative (PFI) where the RAF will pay for usage as and when required with the contractor owning, managing and maintaining the aircraft as well as providing training facilities and specific support personnel."

Give it a few months after he retires and he'll pop up on the board(s) of Cobham, RR, EADS, Thales, VT Group and then he'll be on every guest list.

Neptunus Rex
3rd Mar 2012, 13:26
TTN,

So sad. When I was on the Torpedo Bomber Squadron (early 80s) at "Nookie International," a RAF F1250 got you 50% discount on Brymon to Heathrow, often being flown by "Doc" Foster, retired Maritime QFI, and welcomed at check-in by the gorgeous Angela. Happy days!

Hueymeister
3rd Mar 2012, 16:29
Still not flown at BZN yet.......:ugh: