PDA

View Full Version : Housing in Doha

ODGUY
3rd Mar 2012, 05:32
If QR doesn't provide the actual housing, but give you an allowance, is it enough? Or are pilots having to pay out of their salary to find decent places?

360BakTrak
3rd Mar 2012, 08:42
Depends on what you consider being 'decent............wide variety of build quality here!

ODGUY
3rd Mar 2012, 13:44
Of decent I mean somewhere that's in an neighbourhood that you can walk through, a building or townhouse that has neighbours that you can say hi to, finishings in the apartment that won't drive you mad.

I know it's hard to define 'decent', but I do come from a world class North American city, and I have also spent some considerable time (years on end) in various parts of the Middle East.

However, I have never had to look at the real estate market in Doha, hence, I have no clue if the allowance will be enough for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo or townhome.

Thanks.

360BakTrak
4th Mar 2012, 06:05
I think all the areas here you can walk through any time of the day with no problem; crime is pretty rare and, if people are to be believed, never violent crime.

Prices vary wildy depending on location, but this isn't exactly a big place! You can get a nice villa of up to 5 bedrooms for around 15K QAR, and I 'think' a similar amount would rent you an apartment at the 'The Pearl' to the north of the airport. All the restaurants there have had their alcohol licence suspended and it's not known if/when they'll get it back. Some places are closing down so its a bit of a ghost town there at the moment!! Apartments there are very, very nice though.

ODGUY
6th Mar 2012, 04:15
thanks for the info.

Skyfree
9th Aug 2012, 11:55
As pilot, where do you think is the best place to rent a villa in doha for less than 12000 rials?:confused:

av8tordude
9th Aug 2012, 15:52
This question is open to many different opinions. What's important is whether you have a family or not AND the lifestyle you want to live.

The Pearl is great if you want the western-style ambiance, but the average 2-bedroom apartment will run about 13K and up. West Bay, approximately 5-10 miles from the Pearl, will be about the same, but you will be closer or in downtown (City Center).

If you have a family with kids, there are many good locations, but school would mostly like be a deciding factor where you want to live. As for the price, most suitable compounds will run about 12K an up, but keep in mind, 30% of that price is for the ammenities each compund has to offer. In some cases, a 4/3 bedroom villa that cost 12K-15K on a compound, you can find the same size villa for 10K-12K stand-alone villa that is not on compound. You can realistically find some under 10K, but it all depends on your lifestyle.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, because you will have 6 weeks (unofficially more than 6 weeks, if needed) to find a suitable place to live. There will be people in your new hire group in the same position looking for a place to live. My advice, consider your budget, social and family status, and get together with other pilots who will be looking for a place to stay to share in the cost of a taxi or rental car to have an idea where you want to live.

Good internet sites to start your search before you get here...

Qatar Real Estate, Buy Property in Doha, Qatar Properties for sale - propertyfinder.qa (http://www.propertyfinder.qa/en)
Qatar Classifieds: Free Classified Ads in Qatar - Mubawab (http://www.mubawab.com.qa/en)

REMEMBER!!!, you will not start receiving your housing allowance until you move out of the temporary housing and you submitted documentation to the company. Also, if the company processes your moving documentation after, for example Aug 15th, you will not receive your housing allowance when you receive your salary on Aug 30th, but it will be on your next pay check, Sept 31st. Try to submit your moving documentation to the company NO LATER THAN the 12th of the current month. Unfortunately it takes five people to do one job at QR. :ugh:

Flytdeck
11th Aug 2012, 15:45
To add to Av8tordude; when you first arrive here you may want to consider a month to month rental until finished training. Your allowance will nicely cover a studio at the Ezdan (4,000 - 7,500) and you may pocket the remaining allowance. If you have spouse and children arriving at the start, then this may NOT work for you. Possibly the Holiday Villas would be a better location though it will eat up all of your allowance.

Have finished training so have committed to a two bedroom apartment (unfurnished) in the Pearl. Rent is 13,500/month. Unit is 221 sq m with two large balconies. Both bedrooms have ensuite. There is also a powder room. Large kitchen. View over the Porto Arabia marina. New building with first apartment rented mid July this year. Swimming pool with large sunning area and there is beach access across the street.

Suggest you delay making any large commitments until your training is complete. If there is a hiccup along the way, you may find yourself in a difficult situation if you have signed a lease. Take your time and look around once you are here. There is a lot of support from fellow pilots IF YOU ASK! Kind of like doing emergency drills in the simulator; DON'T RUSH! :ok:

articwarrior
13th Aug 2012, 10:42
Flytdeck.
"Have finished training so have committed to a two bedroom apartment (unfurnished) in the Pearl. Rent is 13,500/month. Unit is 221 sq m with two large balconies. Both bedrooms have ensuite. There is also a powder room. Large kitchen. View over the Porto Arabia marina. New building with first apartment rented mid July this year. Swimming pool with large sunning area and there is beach access across the street"

How is the pearl at the moment with regard to the closing down of some of the food and alcohol establishments?
Also did you take your own furnature or is there a company who will supply rental? what are the prices like at the moment.
Moving to Doha around Nov/Dec time

airwjo
14th Aug 2012, 07:30
I just can say, bravo onedollar - hit the nail

housing is one of the most important things/issues here, beside education and let's call it the panadol (medical) professionals

yes, the allowance of a captain will not cover your rents, as they are maintained high artificially, but if you live in a somehow nice villa in a compound, at least you will be satisfied, coming home to your family, children playing at the pool and/or background on green grass and the wife happy

it will keep you away from not thinking tooo much about the other things, mentioned by onedollar

i am living in a 3 bedroom f/f villa for 12.5 incl www and landline in a small compound, nice neigbours, nice children (educated!!!!)

so, take your time, look at the villa/appartment, people living there, and you can find a nice place

and do not think, how much you pay compared at home and the quality you get for the same price at home, this is doha: high price low quality no control

i have to agree as well with onedollar: allowance should be more as well as the salary, doha got very expensive (in many things same or higher prices than in europe/states) the past 3 years, but our salaries will NOT change in the near future for all dreamers in this forums (qr is getting enough new joiners, still)

good luck

cheers:ok:

F14
14th Aug 2012, 09:37
Housing allowance isn't enough, consider it housing assistance.

Everyone comes to this region for different reasons. Many sadly due to the failure of the company they work for, others for career advancement; moving into the airlines. Not many come here to "make money". :eek:

Firstly to be happy here your wife and kids need to speak good English. Due to historical links to the UK and more recently commercial and military links to the USA, English can be used for all interactions with government and for the purpose of this thread, securing a property lease.

As for prices, it is possible to secure accommodation for less than the allowance and many pilots choose to share at AKG, Holiday Villas or Ezdan Towers. This is normally done before families arrive, most guys get through training first then bring the Mrs and kids down. This gives them time and extra cash to set things up.

The down side in having to source accommodation is that you only accrue housing allowance once you move out of the company accommodation(4-6 weeks). However when you sign a lease you need one month up front, plus a half month for the agent. If you proceed with an agent (they normally know every detail about QR ) you give 1 month cash + 11 months pre-dated cheques. Also one undated cheque for an additional month. This is the security deposit. Some guys like to do it without an agent, then normally you need 1-3 months cash up front. (system revolves around agents, same with most transactions down here and the agents are trust worthy, working on referral)

As for the housing available, there is something for everyone and many new developments coming on-line in the next 6 months. You pay for The Pearl, but it is the most similar to Western standards and you do feel away from the City. Prices 10000 to 25000. Pricing normally works a) on size b)no of bedrooms c) pool-gym-creche facilities, amount of sun at the pool due to orientation of building! is there a balcony, are you overlooked.

If you have a big family then there are many nice villas in west bay lagoon area.

If you want to be near work there are also some nice compounds outside D-ringroad on the way to Aspire.

Roads are a nightmare and things will get worse, before it gets better due to large road building and improvement plan. If you have kids then worth bearing in mind, you would need accommodation near schools, however you will pay more.

Good book to get hold of is Qatar Complete Residents' Guide

ISBN 978-9948-03-317-2

lots of good info regarding areas of the city under "Residents" section

ironbird123
19th Sep 2012, 14:57
Man!
Kudos to all you guys that contributed these HIGHLY VALUABLE information. It's really nice to know guys dont slam the door shut behind you once you are in

Dubaian
20th Sep 2012, 06:38
The Pearl is now pretty quiet as regards eating establishments - but it was never exactly ticking. There are still a few operating - but sans booze. Although far from complete, The Pearl is still a pretty good place IMO - quiet, clean, safe, landscaping coming along nicely. However the main road to it (Lusail Rd) is just about to undergo a major upgrade involving replacement of the two bridges over the lagoon and new grade-segregated interchanges, starting at Arch Roundabout, on the edge of West Bay. Potentially years of diversions, delays and traffic disruption.

If you need a drink (with or without a meal) there are several 5* hotels not far away from the Pearl which can oblige - The Grand Hyatt is closest, with the Ritz Carlton almost next door. Half way between the Pearl and West Bay are the Intercontinental and the brand new St Regis next to that.

Oh and by the way, the entire country is currently a Stella Artois Free Zone. Yup they've run out. "It's in the port, Sir, awaiting clearance". Trust this gives you some idea of how things are here.

I've never heard of anyone offering furniture rental ??? IKEA will open in Qatar some day - maybe Q1 2013.

articwarrior
21st Sep 2012, 09:03
Thanks Dubaian.
Looks like the west bay area is the one to look at. The road upgrade sounds a big problem as the road system is a nightmare (so i read) at the moment so any more disruption will not help. Can you give some idea of prices for 3 bed Appartment or villa, fully furnished in the west bay area. I presume this area will be away from the road upgrade. By the way it will be myself and my wife so no children involved so any other areas to look at.

Regards

Dubaian
23rd Sep 2012, 06:16
Sorry can't help with prices - try the links further up this topic. Plenty of fully-furnished availability here in Doha. Google is your friend - then use an agent to view and finalise.

It's just possible the road diversions could actually work better than the current badly-surfaced, roundabout-infested nonsense, aka Lusail Road - but I'm not holding my breath.

All of Doha is going to be a traffic nightmare when they eventually start building the Metro - it's largely underground so the trucks removing spoil and delivering tunnel liners are going to cause major disruptions. There will be no way of avoiding it...... :rolleyes:

PS - Stella's back on tap :D:D:D

360BakTrak
23rd Sep 2012, 08:38
Stella back on tap?! I'm off out for a few tonight then! :ok: