PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Bell 206 JetRanger family

tonyosborne
2nd Mar 2012, 12:39
I am working on a feature for Rotorhub magazine about the Bell Model 206 family - although not the 206L series. We will look at that later.

I wondered if members might be willing to share their thoughts and reflections on the JetRanger's design, performance, capabilities, upgrades and history. It would be great to hear from you either by PM or through: tony.o(at)shephardmedia.com

Vertical Freedom
2nd Mar 2012, 13:01
Dependable, Predictable(?), Robust, Reliable, Resilient, Uncomfortable, Workhorse, not for everyone to fly as she can be a handful & tricky if pushed .
:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Shawn Coyle
2nd Mar 2012, 13:16
Few, if any faults with the type in general. Tail rotor can be an issue in high DA situations. It should be remembered that it was the first really successful commercial turbine helicopter, and one that grew the industry to where it is today.
Bell's reputation for product support is probably one of the major keys to it's success.

Jack Carson
2nd Mar 2012, 13:30
I dare say that since its inception and first flight almost 50 years ago that no single air vehicle has touched more pilots than the Jet Ranger. It continues to today as one of the linchpins in the world of helicopters. At this time, I do not see a more capable replacement on the horizon.

tonyosborne
2nd Mar 2012, 15:54
Would it be okay if dropped one or two of you a line with some more questions?

BlenderPilot
2nd Mar 2012, 18:43
I love them, I feel safe in them, I have trusted my life to them many times, if well maintained and you use your intellect while flying, your they will get the job done and bring you back home.

Excellent autorotation characteristics, plenty of feedback, visual, audible, vibration to the pilot as to how it's flying it will rarely bite you unexpectedly . . . if tracked by a good mechanic, they can be really smooth, excellent visibility, plenty of parts and qualified repair facilities.

They can be a little difficult to start if hot . . . . but that is the engine, not the Bell, they are not very comfortable for a tall pilot, tail rotor authority is limited which means you have to watch your wind and get to know the signs that it's bout to run out.

I love them, I would love to own a Jet Ranger!!

Ascend Charlie
2nd Mar 2012, 20:29
Got about 7,000 hrs on the type, and never really had a problem with them.

However, ventilation is a bit poor, the seats are usually backbreakers, but a better workhorse is hard to find.:}

OvertHawk
2nd Mar 2012, 21:20
First helicopter i ever flew in and i was smitten - my first love. I did not spend a lot of time in them as a pilot - only a few hundred hours, but they were some of the hours that i most enjoyed and that taught me the most about helicopters.

The 206 is a good, solid, honest, predictable lady and whilst her French counterpart has her beaten in many areas i will never love her the same way! If you took liberties with her then she would slap your face but she would not kick you in the balls unless you really deserved it.

As things stand, it's not likely that i will fly a Jet-box again and that saddens me.

OH

outofwhack
3rd Mar 2012, 03:07
I've never understood the common reference to the Jetranger as a Jetbox.

It seems a little derogotary and surely, from the majority of opinions, doesn't deserve it.

In my humble opinion it has the most attractive lines of ANY helicopter produced to date. A long way from resembling a box. It's design is timeless - demonstrated by the early 70s adverts where it appears alongside a modern car of the day [which would now be laughed at]. Can anybody post the advert?

R44 replacing the Jetranger? Not in my book. My passengers will always be happier paying a little more for a more robust, reliable helicopter and confidence inspiring design. Long live the Bell Jetranger!

beachbunny
3rd Mar 2012, 08:12
Have one criticism, I may be mistaken, but I think it is the only turbine model which does not (as standard) have a heated demisting system. This has killed several good pilots, and very nearly myself. In spite of the evidence, and recommendations following accidents, this has still not been addressed as a standard feature.
Otherwise, a lot of fun, and a good solid workhorse.

Vertical Freedom
3rd Mar 2012, 08:55
Namaste Beach Bunny :)

I concur on the HEATER demister, it has also almost killed me above 10,000' as the shield fogged then iced over on the inside....ffff it was well, I'm still here.

Yep that's my only major criticism, no - heater?? :ugh:

The Jetbox came from the boxy (uncomfortable) seats & the interior space not coping with boxes as cargo? :confused:

Happy landings :ok:

VF

Jet Ranger
3rd Mar 2012, 08:55
Great- simple and reliable, best for autorotations.

Only, sometimes, need some respect in "hot & high environment" (to put some reserve in your pocket)...and evth. will be nice! :ok:

Legendary helicopter.

Brilliant Stuff
3rd Mar 2012, 09:14
Flipping gorgeous!!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Inside and out.

Savoia
3rd Mar 2012, 09:56
Outofwhack wrote: It's design is timeless - demonstrated by the early 70s adverts where it appears alongside a modern car of the day [which would now be laughed at]. Can anybody post the advert?

To the best of my knowledge, Bell never commissioned an ad which specifically paired the 206 alongside an automobile. Most of the initial ads were in black and white and the most prominent (certainly in the early 70's) was one of a group of businessmen carrying trench coats and briefcases walking towards a 206 on shorts.

In Britain however, (mid-70's) that great British engineering company Leyland ;) did commission an ad to promote their Triumph 'Spitfire' sports car and which featured Bristow's G-BAUN (formerly owned by Ben Turner).

Are there any 'Bristownians' who could shed some light as to why BAUN might be wearing 'RESCUE' titles?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-y9xTuKZD_QQ/T1H02f-pFkI/AAAAAAAAILg/el-loqqJs0M/s720/G-BAUN%2520in%2520Bonnie%2520Scotland.jpg
Bristow's G-BAUN in the bonnie Highlands participating in Triumph's Spitfire ad c.1977

Saint Jack
3rd Mar 2012, 11:49
Savoia: At the time of the Triumph Spitfire photo-shoot, G-BAUN was based in Inverness for ad-hoc charter work. I believe the location in the photo was the Lake District, not Scotland. I remember the pilot, Paul Gliddon (that's him second from the right) saying what a great time he had with the models (and I'm not talking about the cars) and the photo-crew whilst he was away for the two or three day task. The 'Rescue' decal was a piece of 'artistic licence' requested by the photographer.

outofwhack
3rd Mar 2012, 12:52
The photo I refer to had something like an Austin Maxi or something similar to a mobile sideboard cabinet. It probably wasn't a Bell promotion.

Perhaps one day, like Cessna starting to build an updated 172, Bell might restart the production line and put some nice glass in there and improve the seats. Please Bell, please!

Savoia
3rd Mar 2012, 13:41
SJ: Sounds as though everything was in order for BAUN's photo-shoot! Thanks for clarifying the location.

Among civilian helicopters I find it hard to think of a more nostalgic helicopter; for while the 47 pioneered many forms of operation it was through the 206 that this experience was shared globally, performed in style and with impressive reliability.

But, as much as I love the little lady, I have to say that I think she has had her day. Bell's team would have known about the plans for the Colibri (and was it at that time they were contemplating the next generation Ranger .. JRX or something, I don't recall?). Either way they decided to let the 206 go.

I shall always remember her fondly .. 'jump seats', bleeping caution warning, sloppy controls and all!

BedakSrewet
4th Mar 2012, 03:14
I have sent you a mail to your Shephard address.

Encyclo
4th Mar 2012, 12:02
First aircraft (helicopter or fixed wing) I ever flew in. What a ride for a young kid, with all that visibility and the sounds and the speed. Have been around them for the last 35 years in one way or another. Good honest, no surprise machine, with the best support in the industry :ok:

Still has lots of good years in her :D

tonyosborne
4th Mar 2012, 13:03
Many thanks for all the comments, will be getting back to a few of you by PM!

Stationair8
29th Jan 2013, 04:24
In a discussion with a newly minted CPL(H) about helicopters and all things rotary, the discussion turned to the Bell B206 and ace mentioned they were old technology compared to the likes of Robinsons etc.

So how rotorheads what is the verdict on the B206?

paco
29th Jan 2013, 05:16
It's the safest single engined aircraft in the world, it's very crashworthy and very nice to fly.

Just remember that old technology is proven technology (from someone who still uses DOS :) )

The 44 apparently is very similar in flying characteristics.

Phil

griffothefog
29th Jan 2013, 05:57
What a lady...... But oh those seats :{

5 hrs a day on 11KV lines will sort the men from the boys :eek:

Have to agree also about the de-misting capabilities, very dangerous in a climate like the UK early morn...

But you gotta love the "Jetbanger" :ok:

Bellrider
29th Jan 2013, 08:42
I have more than 4000h on Type, it is really one of the best single engine helos of the world!
One question to the community:
Had been there any accidents caused by Mastbumping??
I never heared stories about that!?

industry insider
29th Jan 2013, 10:26
I don't have that many hours in the 206, most of my time is on heavier types.

Always loved the 206B though and have always enjoyed my short burst operational stints in them. I would love to have one as a toy.....unlikely now.

fly911
29th Jan 2013, 11:42
4,000+ hours and still loving it. My only recommendation would be to replace the uncomfortable factory seats with Oregon Aero's "SoftSeat" and then fly all day.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/fly911/oregon_zpse7d0fb53.jpg

Brian Abraham
29th Jan 2013, 11:46
Wonderfully capable, and lovely handling machine. Baby Huey. Agree on the lack of heating, though never had a problem with seats (civil or Kiowa). Not a good shipbourne helo - narrow skids and high CoG.

fly911
29th Jan 2013, 11:58
BeachBunny Have one criticism, I may be mistaken, but I think it is the only turbine model which does not (as standard) have a heated demisting system. This has killed several good pilots, and very nearly myself. In spite of the evidence, and recommendations following accidents, this has still not been addressed as a standard feature.
Otherwise, a lot of fun, and a good solid workhorse. I lost an aquaintance the same way.
I believe that there is a modification or two out there that uses bleed air vented through the windscreen blower to act as a demister. In the 80s, I installed an electrical defroster heater that was mounted inside a metal tube and installed in line with the factory windscreen blower. Drew a lot of amps but really did the job. I'll try to look up the 337 and see if it is still available.

Whirlygig
29th Jan 2013, 13:16
with a newly minted CPL(H) about helicoptersAs a (reasonably) newly minted CPL(H), give me a Jet Ranger any day over a Robinson :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

Devil 49
29th Jan 2013, 13:59
Flies well, crashes badly. The 206 was arguably the safest single engine aircraft because of simple reliability and excellent flying characteristics.
If I was to choose an aircraft in which to have an emergency, it would be a 206- right up until significant forward or vertical momentum is involved.

fijdor
29th Jan 2013, 14:15
Nice, reliable easy to fly and maintain helicopter, I always felt safe in the 206B but like others have said the seat was a problem, you couldn't stay in there for long without developing back and shoulder problems.

As for Cabin heaters (here in Canada) there was 3 kinds that I am aware of at least when I was flying them, it was the "Casey heater", also a gas operated heater I think they were called "Southwind heaters" and another bleed air system but can't remember the name.
The Southwind heater was delicate to operate and you had to be polite with it specially in cold weather like below minus 15/20 deg C. More heat would equal to more fuel in the heater and sometimes they would catch fire, it did to me and burned the back end of a 206 by the time I landed and used the extinguisher.

I learned my trade on them, learned to use finesse because of them.

Like they used to say "206B, perfect at nothing but good at everything"

JD

SASless
29th Jan 2013, 14:47
The Bell 206 series was the cause for the invention of the term "LTE" (Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness) which has killed many pilots and passengers.

Simply put....not enough tail rotor to begin with.....which ultimately catches up with you in certain situations.

But....for a private owner....if you do something about the absolutely horrible seats....the 206 is a very reliable, reasonably cheap, pleasant aircraft to fly.

As has been noted....they are very good in autorotation should you have an engine failure and you respond correctly. They do not crash well....as they like to trip over their own feet, chop off their own tail booms, and have little structure under you to cushion an impact.

They have a reputation for being the safest single engine aircraft for a number of reasons.....design, reliability, and the fact they were flown in great part by experienced professional pilots.

The one real down side is the Pilot Seat.....Bell Helicopters have ruined more backs and necks than the NFL ever thought about.

206 jock
29th Jan 2013, 14:51
and another bleed air system but can't remember the name

Probably the Paravion system Heaters – Bell | Paravion Technology (http://www.paravion.com/products/heaters-bell/)

With cabin heat via nozzles around your ankles and optional defrosters along the windscreen, it's $5,390 well spent. Err, plus a load of time to fit it I would imagine.

There was also an Air Comm Corp unit (same as Paravion??) and a Keith Products unit, but not sure that had defrost.

Gomer Pylot
29th Jan 2013, 15:18
There are a number of heater/defog systems that are STC'd for the 206, and some work better than others. There are also ECU systems available, which provide both cool and heated air. The most effective systems duct the bleed air to the pilot/pax feet, and to a bar at the bottom of the windshield, which does a very good job of keeping it clear.

The 206 is certainly old technology, having been designed in the late 1950s, and it had teething problems (the TT strap issue almost killed it) but it's certainly a proven design. I have something over 10,000 hours in the 206 series, and while it's not my favorite by any means, it gets the job done, relatively cheaply and efficiently. The big drawback for an owner is the TT strap issue, which is a huge, unavoidable recurring expense, but otherwise they just keep on flying. The autorotation characteristics are excellent, and the high rotor inertia lets you do things near the bottom that you couldn't even think about doing in newer models with lower inertia. That more than offsets the crash characteristics, IMO, because it gives you a much better chance of arriving at a controlled touchdown.

John Eacott
29th Jan 2013, 21:30
Re the heater, I had Dart South 45 heaters in both my 206's and can thoroughly recommend them. As with any bleed air heater there is an amount of noise but it did the job in our -8C snowfields, plus kept the screen clear on a humid day :ok:

Crashworthiness? I turned one into a convertible and walked away after pulling hard enough to snap the collective, and the seat absorbed some but not all the impact. Luck of the game?

Reliable as can be, only let down once when a starter solenoid failed. Costs predictable within 5% which is as good as you'll get with 8-900/hr pa, lots of stories to tell :p

Matari
29th Jan 2013, 21:48
Spent a good part of my life turning wrenches on the Jetranger. A couple of thoughts from a mechs perspective:

1. Engine change...easy peasy. Back in the day we would change engines offshore on a single pad toadstool. Wrap a big special-made belt around the main rotor blade above the engine, install a hoist, and pull it out. Stick another engine back in same way. Two men could change an engine and do a leak check in four hours or so.
2. Transmission change out, easy as well. Freewheeling unit same, but transmission input seals always leaked. Hydraulics were a breeze, never gave us any problems.
3. The TT straps were a sad story, a blemish on an overall great design for the time.
4. M/R head changeout was fairly straightforward, but many nights spent banging out the MR head bolts, especially if the last guy didn't use the right lube. Compare that with the Squirrel's blade pins, and it seems pretty silly.
5. On visiting ships I always liked to look inside the blade pins at the number of weights inside. Funny how sometimes one pin would be stuffed full, the other near empty. C'mon guys, try harder next time. Aligning the blades onto the hub and to each other was always a bit if a guessing game. Do we use string, or mirrors or scopes, or ....
6. Vibs were easy to diagnose and fix. One-One or Two-One and the old bouncing pencil. Track and balance was a breeze.
7. Never much trouble with the tail feathers, once the new T/R blades were installed. Rarely had T/R chips.
8. Last thing...Bell swashplates. We used to marvel at how sloppy they were compared with other designs. Didn't matter if it was a 206 or 212, we always had swashplate shimming, breakaway, bearing changes, on and on. Compared with sturdy Bolkows, Sikorskys, Squirrels and the rest, Bell never quite got the swashplates right.

All in all, a good machine, and she took lots of abuse. Still very fond of the Jetranger.

SASless
29th Jan 2013, 22:33
John Baby.....when you hit the up stop.....stop pulling! Funny how one can grade the autorotation by comparing the Collective levers....and also see who was flying when the aircraft hit the ground!

helicopterray
30th Jan 2013, 01:49
Two men could change an engine and do a leak check in four hours or so.

Does this include loosening the engine mounts inside the cabin? Because that involves removing the hat rack and some panels, and I can't see a turn around of 4 hours.

Matari
30th Jan 2013, 02:24
Good point helicopterray. The four hours, give or take, also depended a lot on the configuration of the new engine, how many accessories had to be swapped over, bellmouth & bleedvalve, etc. etc.

Suffice to say it was a fairly straightforward ship to work on...nothing like rigging the inboard fuel control on a Bolkow 105, at night, flashlight in mouth, fighting mosquitoes and nutria rats at the same time!

Vertical Freedom
30th Jan 2013, 02:33
Goodmorning

Yep the Jetbox is a back-breaking Dinosaur; but a dependable, trustable & reliable Dinosaur :ok:

Have crossed many a passes 20,000'+pa with her :eek:
:O highest landing\T/O: picked 1 x PAX on Rescue at 16,800'amsl @ 16oC :ouch:

She certainly needs finesse & the right technique applied to make her perform politely at ultra high altitude landings\T/O's & when heavy. But if You have that nailed she is charming :cool:

As for LTE yep, had that a 2 times, once 100 meters short onto a HeliPad at 15,000' set up into 20kt up-slope headwind, but the gully on my right side had a 15knot down-slope wind tunnel that hit me as I was arriving over the pad & BANG half rotation R, applied full-left pedal??? (nuttin? continued rotating right) so closed the throttle assuming I'd lost TR drive & did a hovering auto with 1 x PAX + 100kg cargo + 30usg GoJuice, WoW those blades have some inertia :8:ooh: Yaaar had LTA a few times in the early 206A with the small diameter TR, but never on the larger TR. :hmm:

Greatest complaint is; no heater for demisting & deicing. :mad: Uncomfortable seats is secondary to demist & deice :yuk:

Can someone please direct me to any articles on the net re accidents incidents caused due to a lack of heater/demister on the B206 series please?

Land Happy always ;)

VF

mickjoebill
30th Jan 2013, 03:01
I've never understood the common reference to the Jetranger as a Jetbox.

Old and tatty 206 = Jetbanger

Mickjoebill

owen meaney
30th Jan 2013, 05:18
Have crossed many a passes 20,000'+pa And this is with a 250c20 series fitted?

krypton_john
30th Jan 2013, 07:12
Pretty sure it wouldn't have been a C18! C20R is as good as it gets?

Vertical Freedom
30th Jan 2013, 09:18
C20J (same output as the C20B) would love to have the C20R here hehehehe bit like comparing a 350B2 to a 350B3

Happi Landins :cool:

VF

Vertical Freedom
30th Jan 2013, 09:25
I dream to work an R engined Banger up here. One could take a couple of Rescue pax off EBC Everest basecamp WoW

Colibri49
30th Jan 2013, 13:30
"It's the safest single engined aircraft in the world" That's a bit subjective, I would say. Even if the claim were "safest single engined helicopter", you would still need to set its record against the likes of the Alouette III and Lama types which were chosen for Alpine rescue work and by various armed forces for very good reasons. In the years when I flew small single-engined helicopters (60's and 70s) I never heard or read of one Artouste 3 engine that failed except that it was starved of fuel. Nor were there any blade and rotor control issues in that period, to my knowledge.

Someone has already mentioned the Jetranger tension/torsion strap issue.

I also have a very few Jetranger hours in my logbook and envy those who have thousands. Yes it is a truly fantastic helicopter, near-perfect in most aspects, but not the safest in the world. No, I'm not going to respond to the inevitable "fireworks" on the the subject of how the FAA/NTSB requires accidents to be recorded versus how it is done in the UK/EASA land. I won't even make the usual comment about "statistics" either.

When the notion of "safest single engined aircraft in the world" is raised, then it is sensible to include such venerable fixed-wings as the Antonov AN2 and the DHC Beaver.

Just my usual 10 cents worth, in the hope of stirring the hornet's nest.

Sir Korsky
30th Jan 2013, 14:36
Hover autos from 30' were always uneventful!:ok:

Hedski
30th Jan 2013, 14:56
Think Castle Air's G-ONTV had a C20W, more POWERRRRRRR!!!

paco
30th Jan 2013, 15:05
"but not the safest in the world"

It is, according to the statistics from the States. NASA, I think, but I can't remember now.

phil

SASless
30th Jan 2013, 16:37
Tried to hover at 20,000+ feet in a Jet Box?

You will find the Tail Rotor lacking somewhat.

Ready2Fly
31st Jan 2013, 10:20
I dream to work an R engined Banger up here. One could take a couple of Rescue pax off EBC Everest basecamp WoW
Well, i know where to source one ;)

Vertical Freedom
31st Jan 2013, 10:25
Ready2Fly WoW really we are seriously looking for a clean, light JetBox with an R. So please PM me.

Cheers

VF

belly tank
31st Jan 2013, 12:28
I love the ol banger, I have many happy memories flying her she was always good to me in my early turbine days, but you must caress her much like a woman :=

Compared to most drivers on pprune I've not done too much in her,1300hrs then I moved onto the Astar. But I'd jump back in one tommorow in a heartbeat.:ok:

Vertical Freedom
31st Jan 2013, 13:53
Rotorheads

Can someone please direct me to any articles on the net re accidents incidents caused due to a lack of heater/demister on the B206 series please?

Land Happy always http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

VF

Droopy
31st Jan 2013, 14:33
About 20 years ago there was a 206 tripped over a fence due to misted screens and killed a passenger, details will be on the UK aaib website. Sorry can't recall anything more specific.

FLY 7
31st Jan 2013, 14:58
This one?

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/dft_avsafety_pdf_501020.pdf

fly911
31st Jan 2013, 23:04
I suspect that the "L" will blow over in a strong cross wind faster than a B model 206, what with the larger profile.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/fly911/helover_zpsa8afbcfe.jpg

Strong gusts blew a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter onto its side while it was parked at Arnold Palmer Regional Airport in Unity Township, Westmoreland County. No injuries were reported.

Read more: Rain moves in quickly, pounds Pittsburgh region | Weather - WTAE Home (http://www.wtae.com/weather/Rain-moves-in-quickly-pounds-Pittsburgh-region/-/9682608/18336032/-/em9h81z/-/index.html#ixzz2JbMLJc2M)

Jack Carson
1st Feb 2013, 14:21
I have nothing but very fond memories of flying many models of the Bell 206 series. Many of my generation began our aviation careers in the Jet Ranger. Like many, I began my aviation journey in the TH-57A. Many years later I finished up that journey flying a very nice 206L-4. With a few thousand flight hours spanning most 206 models and many mishap free full touchdown autorotations under my belt, I would have to say from my perspective that it is one of the safest air vehicles ever put in service. This is further substantiated by the shear numbers. Numbers published in a Rotor & Wing article dated Oct 2007 indicated that, at that time, more than 7000 Bell 206 aircraft had been produced. Those aircraft had accumulated more than 55 Million flight hours. One would have to believe that if it is not the safest aircraft, it has to be right there near the top of the list.

fly911
26th Nov 2018, 13:21
Can anyone help me find an electric heating element that mounts in-line with the windshield blower on a Bell 206B3? Thanks for any input. I installed one many years ago on Bell S/N: 3175 but can't track it down. I purchased it from a California company that may or may not have STC'd it. Thanks.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/358x528/electric_206_defroster_5c920e4413f92692b8d9cd1a78457a9b95952 135.jpg

Looking for in-line electric defroster heater for Bell 206

Tickle
27th Nov 2018, 01:06
Did the article by Tony Osborne (the OP) get written and published? Can't find anything in Google. Would be curious to read it, and the 206L follow-up.