PDA

View Full Version : Did you fly CFS Navajo VH-CJB on cyclone research?

Fris B. Fairing
2nd Mar 2012, 10:46
As a result of my research into Cyclone Tracy it has emerged that Navajo VH-CJB was being fitted out by Altair (WA) for a cyclone research contract for WAPET. When Altair folded in Oct 1974 the aircraft was taken over by CFS (WA) who apparently completed the conversion and used the aircraft for its intended purpose. Did anyone fly it or does anyone know what equipment it was fitted with and how it was used?

Rgds

Fris B. Fairing
7th Mar 2012, 20:55
To give the thread a bump. Are there any former CFS pilots out there who know anything about this operation?

Rgds

hurlingham
9th Mar 2012, 01:40
Although I never flew the aircraft, I was with Altair at the time - the aircraft was fitted & operated by Altair with great results for WAPET. It was fitted with long range fuel tanks & a doppler of some sort.
I am not aware that CFS ever operated the aircraft on the cyclone contract.

Fris B. Fairing
9th Mar 2012, 03:04
hurlingham

Many thanks for the response. Do you know if the aeroplane was involved in Cyclone Tracy in Dec 74? Any more details of the Doppler gear?

Rgds

3 Holer
9th Mar 2012, 07:46
I was with Civil Flying Services at the time and was operating on the Barrow Island contract for WAPET during that period. Never heard of the project or the aircraft (VH-CJB).

Dora-9
9th Mar 2012, 09:36
3 Holer - if you're 56 now, then in 1974 you would have been 18, just possibly 19 years old. Were you really flying commercially for them at that age?

I should add I left Civils in 1969, the youngest pilot flying twins then would have been 23-24........

Led Zeppelin
9th Mar 2012, 12:13
I briefly flew the aircraft with Altair (1973 ish) - recall a couple of trips around Barrow Island and one trip from Broome to Suai (Timor Leste). I was endorsed at Jandakot by the "noisy scrub bird" aka Bill Anderson (long since passed away).

Indeed it did have doppler and from memory the installation created a fairly aft CG. But it did work provided the ocean wasn't too calm.

It made a change from the Dove's and the Heron that we normally flew around Barrow and surrounding areas.

So long ago!

3 Holer
9th Mar 2012, 21:43
Dora

Were you really flying commercially for them at that age?

No, I was 22 years of age in 1974. Do you think I would be retired at 56 years of age? :ugh:

Fris B. Fairing
10th Mar 2012, 03:59
Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Led Zepp do you recall how the Doppler was used or any details about the cyclone research?

Rgds

Dora-9
10th Mar 2012, 22:23
3 - Holer: No offence intended, grovelling PM sent....

3 Holer
11th Mar 2012, 04:36
No offence taken.....check your PMs.

Dora-9
11th Mar 2012, 05:30
3H:

Not fair! If you joined Ansett in 1978, you should know me! I was a CC on the F27 (MEL) then. So where did you end up? I left to go to Cathay in June 1989, which must rank as superb if completely accidental timing, going there turned out to be the single best decision I ever made, so many good things stemmed from that.

It's a very small world! It was Bert Maude whose surname I couldn't recall and (shame) I had completely forgotten about Dick Jackson. Jan Ende is a very good mate, we learned to fly together at the RAC of WA and are still in close touch, I've just lent him my Beech 18 manual for instance. Murray Dickson and I were in the ATC together as spotty-faced 16 year-olds, last I heard of him was living in Albany with his mother! I ended up marrying Mal Latham's ex-wife, although she's not my spouse either now!

Xmas piss-ups with Bib Stillwell? I never got on at all well with him, he tied to fire Barry and I after we took the piss out of him in public once, I found it politic to keep out of his way. To each his own I guess...

Cheers, Rod.

3 Holer
11th Mar 2012, 05:38
I left to go to Cathay in June 1989,

No wonder you could retire at 56!:ok: