PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 IAA v CAA

johnc21
29th Feb 2012, 10:33
Morning all,

I am considering my Class 1 medical exam at the moment.

Anyway I am a resident in Ireland and I am trying to decide where is best to go. I have been looking at various forums for a while now and I am noticing not too many positives for getting it done with the IAA.

Now the confusion enters the arena. I am hearing all sorts of bits and pieces saying the PPL and CPL must be completed in the state of initial class 1 issue. On the CAA website they offer a CAA Class 1 / JAA Class 1

I would have thought the JAA Class 1 would be acceptable to the IAA since it came from a member state.

Also I have one or two concerns. I had perthes when I was 7, got discharged at 14, it never really came back to me until I recently started running which does put extra stress on the hip joint in particular I know but I have since stopped for a few weeks and the pain has subsided. In terms of flexibility I am fine, I can walk, run ( the after affect being a little inflammation), drive etc so from that point of view I am a little concerned but I don't think it will be a big issue.

I also had an operation called tendon release on my right thigh.

I have a small Pinguecula on my right eye, not a major thing. It can be removed if neccessary I think.

I know it sounds like I have all sorts but some sort reassurance on the above matters would really put me at ease.

Finally I am also looking for the most recent feedback from class 1 medicals completed in CAA or IAA land and how your experiences were.

Thanks for your support and help folks
John

mutt
29th Feb 2012, 12:03
I am hearing all sorts of bits and pieces saying the PPL and CPL must be completed in the state of initial class 1 issue. This is written in JAR-FCL 3. So decide on which country you want to issue your licence, then do the medical in that country.

Mutt

johnc21
29th Feb 2012, 12:25
Is that just for ppl issue or what license is it referring to?

Jerry Lee
29th Feb 2012, 14:03
It refers to class 1 and class 2 (and class 3 if I am not wrong - does it also exist?) medicals.

zondaracer
29th Feb 2012, 14:19
I don't have any experience with the IAA. The UK CAA does accept initial class 1 from other JAA countries, but you must have the medical validated and converted into a UK initial class 1. Involves paperwork and a fee... And time. What country do you plan on doing your training?

I also understand that the IAA and CAA have reciprocal agreements.

johnc21
29th Feb 2012, 16:19
To be honest I was hoping to do some training at a JAR approved school in the USA. But my interpretation of the rules would then indicate that I must get the class 1 in the USA but I am not sure.

Depending on where I get the class 1, does that make mr limited on where I can get my licenses?

zondaracer
29th Feb 2012, 17:04
The JAA schools in Florida are UK schools, with the exception of one Irish school. So you would need to get the Class 1 initial in Ireland or the UK before heading out to the US. You would also need to get an FAA medical once in the states if you are going to do some FAA training. A medical for the FAA can be completed in Europe by an approved AME.
AME Search Criteria (http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/search.asp) You can search by country

I think one of the medical examiners at Gatwick can also issue FAA class 1 medicals.

Jerry Lee
29th Feb 2012, 17:24
There is also an AME approved by both CAA and FAA in Ormond Beach.