PDA

View Full Version : Current state of Aviation as a career

Calldepartures
29th Feb 2012, 08:23
Hi Folks,

I have not been in aviation all that long (about 14 years on and off), but I dont recall seeing so many jobs available/advertised as what is around at the moment. I have a few friends in aviation ( from airline captains to ppl's) who all have verying opinions as to the current situation in the world of aviation from a career prospects point of view. On one hand I hear an opinion that this is a great time to be involved in the industy as there are plenty of opportunities. On the other hand I hear that nobody in there right mind would contemplate trying to make a living from this poor excuse of a profession.

I work two jobs, one of those aviation related but not flying which is a career in itself and the other a multi engine piston job. I'm at a point where I have an opportunity to take up a regional turbo prop job and.. well decision time.

So why am I posting? Because I know I can turn to the every reliable and accurate pprune community to impart its wisdom and advice which may help me make some very important life changing decisions over the next couple of weeks.:E (seriously, all advice appreciated) I am sure I am not the only person out there in this position.

Obviously a love of flying isnt enough, you need to have lifestyle too.

So I throw it open to the Pprune community. What is the state of play in the professional aviation world? Is there still a good career to be made of this? Overworked/underpaid/dissatisfied V Happy/good career/content.

As always, happy to hear all opinions
Calldepartures

P.S Feel free to post or PM

Fondair
29th Feb 2012, 09:21
I think you're asking an unsual quesiton for somebody who flies twins. Surely by now you would have made a decision on how far you want your career to go? If an airline position is there for you to take why not just take it and find out what the lifestyle is like?

Wally Mk2
29th Feb 2012, 09:33
"CallDept's" there's really only one person who truly knows what to do here & that's YOU:-)
I do however believe that flying for a living these days is no longer glamorous or even a well paid job for that matter & it's certainly not a secure career path anymore. You simply have to love the feeling that flying brings to put up with all the crap that goes with it, that's the one constant in this game, if you haven't got that then bail out now !

Anyway you've been around long enuf now in this game am sure deep down inside you know what you want to do it's just that some of us need a prod!:ok:

Good luck, you'll need it !:E

Wmk2

Calldepartures
29th Feb 2012, 09:33
I thankyou for your reply Fondair,

Flying a piston twin in GA Charter is a far cry from a regional turbo prop gig. Obviously my heart is in flying, and on face value I am filled with excitement with the prospect of such an opportunity. Just want to arm myself with as much information as possible because when the novelty wears off, I want to be left with a satisfying and relatively stable career that will support my family and I.:O

Greatful for opinions and info from those in the know !

Cirronimbus
29th Feb 2012, 09:47
Its an employer's market. Jobs of any sort (aircrew or otherwise) never used to be advertised in the newspapers. You had to know someone in the industry. These days, the field is full of so many people desperate to get a start in aviation, the employers can advertise and take their pick of the applicants. That is why wages and conditions are so poor. If you don't like 'pineapples' (even the smoother end); then you'd probably be better off (financially and physically) working in another industry. If being around 'planes, pilots, and people who do; doesn't do 'it' for you, aviation isn't going to be the 'lifestyle' you seek.

There is too many greedy people taking advantage of too many desperate people out there. If you don't wan't the 'pineapple', there are plenty more who will give it a go. The 'lifestyle' and job satisfaction, is not going to happen in the short term.

Good luck with it all and I hope you can make the decision that is right for you. (I hate 'pineapples' but I'm getting used to them. I just hope the 'injuries' will be covered by worker's comp!).

mcgrath50
29th Feb 2012, 10:51
I didn't get into aviation to become a rich man.

That's one life goal I am sure I will achieve! :E

The Green Goblin
29th Feb 2012, 11:19
Multi engine charter is pretty carefree and relaxed.

Yeah you have to pass a renewal every year but it's pretty straightforward and if you're current, a peace of cake.

It's a different world once you're in the CAR217 system spending long nights in the box rehearsing for every dooms day scenario.

You must methodically and often (read - almost daily) hit the books and keep yourself current.

The rules change daily and along with legislative changes, notams and everything else, the company loves to change almost everything almost daily too.

If your hearts not in it, it would be laborious very quickly.

I take it your heart is not in it if you're posting on pprune? If your heart was, you'd be swagging on the verandah of the regional waiting for training to start.

If you fly for fun, stick to the part time gig and enjoy.

If you're obsessed with aviation, join the club for ongoing punishment.

I take it you already know in your heart what you want to do, you're just waiting for someone to tell you what you already know.

Cheers

Pandanus
29th Feb 2012, 12:13
GG has beaten me to the punch here. You're either fully in it or you may as well walk away. You can hardly earn yourself a decent job in aviation if you're only going to do it part-time.

You've obviously got more to consider than just yourself, but unless you make the required leap of faith and jump in the deep end with both feet, it can't be done.

With your time in the industry off and on you should already know what career prospects are available to you and what you can expect to earn; its not that hard to find that out.

And sure, aviation has its down sides, but looking around at the tough times people are suffering in other industries, show me one where the good times are guaranteed.

To my way of thinking, the current state of the industry is largely irrelevant, that's not where your decision has to come from.

Pandanus Palm.

tinpis
29th Feb 2012, 23:29
aviation-career. Oxymoron?
Geez mate 14 years is not a long time ?:uhoh:

Trojan1981
1st Mar 2012, 02:07
I largely agree with the two above posts, but I would also add that aviation doesn't offer as many, as secure or as well paid opportunities as other industries. When downturns come, aviation cops it first, hardest and longest. it quickly grew tedious for me, but I am glad I did it for a while.

I would say go for it if you are keen, but don't pigeon hole yourself. keep studying and maintain skills outside aviation, so that if the worst happens you have options and can still support yourself/family. At least you'll be able to look back and say you did it.

DeltaT
1st Mar 2012, 07:42
Having a twin job already, nevermind got a regional turbo job in the pocket, you are well up the ladder already.
Some of us can't even get back on the ladder with prior experience.

Count yourself lucky, Go for it.

Calldepartures
1st Mar 2012, 08:29
Thanks to everyone for your input. Im very excited and I really want the job. Just seeking thoughts from those who are doing the job to find out if they are happy with their vocation (I guess I am wary because so many people these days say "STAY AWAY"). Would be a very easy decision if I didnt have to relocate the family and make some very tough financial decisions. But, if the job matches my expectations, it will be well worth it! (Should of done it years ago before I had dependents).. My bad!

Calldepartures