PDA

View Full Version : ELCAS registered Rotary flying schools around London

ApacheJim
28th Feb 2012, 10:59
Hi,
I left the Army last year and am now employed in an office based role. It seems the flying bug is harder to get rid of than expected and I am now hoping to gain my PPL for some weekend flights.
I have emailed a few flying schools reference this topic but thought I would see if anyone has any personal experence.
Basically I would like a flying school which is ELCAS registered so I can gain a type rating on R22 or possibly R44. Anyone know of anywhere around London?

Bing
28th Feb 2012, 11:29
Unless you're particularly generous with your definition of 'around London' I'd say no.

If you go to Elcas - Enhanced Learning Credit Administration System (http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com) you can search the database of learning providers. It's not particularly user friendly these days as you can't just browse the whole thing, however plugging 'helicopter' in as a search time gives 7 results.

Three are for ground schools, of the four that offer flying training two appear to be near Yorkshire, one is at Blackbushe and the other at Goodwood.

If you don't fancy those, you can suggest to a more conveniently located flying school that they might like to register as a Learning Provider. There's a link on the same website so they can start the registration process, not sure how long it takes though.

pilotmike_b
29th Feb 2012, 12:54
I am currently helping polar helicopters in Manston to get the ELCAS registration. It is a long process and requires military and ex military personal to be interested and apply.
The board sits in mid march for new company's and applications need to be in now. The next board is not until July. They offer some good rates on both R22 and R44 flying. If you have an interest get in touch with them direct it will only help to strengthen the case.