PDA

View Full Version : Are we realistic

SEAMASTER
28th Feb 2012, 09:26
Hi guys firstly I hav'nt applied to Emirates yet but could I ask you guys who are already living and working there am I being realistic of how I feel my families life could run out in the UAE. First me, I work for a reputable uk airline RH seat with possibly 2-3 years before a shot at the LH seat, we have two kids age 8 and 3, my misses is a qualified primary teacher but currently works in HE teaching ESOL ( English to speakers of other languages ). We both would want to work in Dubai if we opted to go, however my reservation are, 1. Is it feasible and practical for both parents to be working, ie school runs etc, 2. what age do young children start school in Dubai, 3. Are there any schools on the complexes where emirates place families to live, I have visited Dubai quite extensively and would be horrified at my misses driving on those busy roads to get to work and the kids to school ! Of course if I was around I would do it. And finally a topic that would be nice to know, would we both qualify for the housing and utilities allowance in our respective professions or can just one working partner claim it ? I appreciate that most of my answers could be found if I was to spend time looking through the various threads but in a quest to save time I figured I would just ask directly. Thanks to anyone who replies with any constructive and informative answers.

Regards.

SEAMASTER
28th Feb 2012, 20:40
Thanks for taking the time and effort to answer, your points have been taken on board.

Rgds

Seamster

Plazbot
29th Feb 2012, 03:05
I have kids exactly the same age as you.

1. Is it feasible and practical for both parents to be working, ie school runs etc,

Of course depends on where you work. My Mrs had her 'real' job for a while when we got here but canned it as she was finding it hard to do both that and the kids pick/drop (and she is enjoying the ladies that lunch scene far too much) The 8/3 age mix may be the issue. FS/Reception 1 usually finishes around 12-1pm and older kids 2:30-3pm. You may find that if your wife can get a teaching job at your kids schools you will get discounted school fees. This is what my wife does. While they don't get paid a huge amount, when you factor in the fee savings it becomes more attractive.

2. what age do young children start school in Dubai,

My youngest is 3 yrs 2 months and can start FS/Reception 1 in September. The year they are 5 the start year 1. THe oldest is 8 in July and is in year 3 and started year 1 when he was 5 and change. British school system. Nursery generally covers kids to year 1 and finishes usually at 3 with some staying open longer for office hours parents. Usually a tiered payment system depending on finish times. Most schools have after school club for the younger kids to align with the older kids finish times. This costs extra, something like 50 dingas a day.

3. Are there any schools on the complexes where emirates place families to live,

Dunno, don't work for Emirates but I know a few Emirates guys who live around Arabian Ranches and send their kids to the school there. I think it is JESS? Something like that. Very loooooong wait list though.

4. I have visited Dubai quite extensively and would be horrified at my misses driving on those busy roads to get to work and the kids to school !

The traffic is not as bad as you think. It is surprisingly efficient. Treat it like snow skiing where you just miss what is in front of you and let the faster people behind do the same.

5. And finally a topic that would be nice to know, would we both qualify for the housing and utilities allowance in our respective professions or can just one working partner claim it ?

Depends. Your wife can actually be a more attractive employment prospect based on them not having to pay allowances. Often schools have multiple apartments in a block for their teachers. Many companies want their name on the lease when paying allowances as well so if you have Emirates accom that may be difficult.

happy to answer what ever here or personal message.

Sina320
29th Feb 2012, 05:29
Hey man,

So, I don't live in UAE but I just came back from Dubai. My fiance is a cabin crew for EK and I got to spend 2 weeks there. I had a chance to go out with a few Captains and FO's from EK and they all seemed to be very pleased with the life style over there. As an American my self, I could see my self living over there. Of course, it's going to be a challange at first but from what I heard from the crews at EK, they like Dubai, for the most part,

Good luck

Sina,

SEAMASTER
29th Feb 2012, 11:43
Thanks that a great bunch of informative answers if I can think of any other questions I'll take you up on the PM thanks once again !

Plore
29th Feb 2012, 17:57
Maybe your missus can work for Emirates as well. We have quite a few people that need some English education, especially here in the engineering department :uhoh: :ugh: