PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GTN 750

sycamore
27th Feb 2012, 21:21
Anybody fitted/fitting the new toy ? Any comments good/bad,installation/support/type/problems,etc ? Happy for PMs...Syc.

wigglyamp
28th Feb 2012, 06:26
Just fitted a 650/750 combo and returned it to the customer last week. Not as quite a straightforward upgrade from 430W/530W as Garmin imply. We've included the GMA35 remote audio panel to make enough panel space. All works very well - interesting to get customer feedback after he's flown it a while.

peterh337
28th Feb 2012, 06:37
Was that on a G or N?

If N, did you do an FSDO process for the 337+STC, or used the DER route?

In what respect was it not straightforward?

I would not expect it to be "trivial" obviously but are these products fundamentally different in the way they connect to existing avionics (RS232, ARINC, etc)?

I keep half an eye on this stuff but (a) it would be a fair size job (=long downtime) and (b) the sexy features shown in the adverts (e.g. SV, or airport charts as moving map) involve stuff like £2000/year Jepp subs.

wigglyamp
28th Feb 2012, 06:41
It was our first G Reg.
If doing N, we'd use the FAA STC and raise a 337 under our repair station approval.

peterh337
28th Feb 2012, 07:05
I do wonder what people do since the NY IFU stopped doing avionics 337 approvals several years ago.

KEJ
16th Apr 2013, 12:05
I have recently finished installing a GTN750/650 system with the GMA35A audio panel and I have to say I am disappointed. We had many software issues installing the system in relation to having the system connect to other systems such as the air data computer, storm scope, traffic system etc.

When finally installed we found that various functions were not as stated in the POH, for example even though the Garmin system could see the data from the air data computer, it does not update the DALT, TAS, WINDS page and makes this function useless; it also does not overlay charts on the map page as claimed; it won't accept metric units for pressure; the fuel planning system won't accept inputs etc etc. Garmin have been less than helpful during this process and I am most disappointed with the whole system. I would advise anyone contemplating this upgrade to be very careful. Stay with your 530/430 until something better comes along.

overandout
16th Apr 2013, 14:27
Well well well.
I have had a GTN 650 solo for over a year now and am very happy with it. So much easier and quicker and user friendly than 430.
touch screen a dream and easy to use in turbulence. Load airways flight plans easily and quickly.

But I do not have a 750 or an audio panel or transponder or a TAWS or a TCAS co-fitted so my case may be simpler?

jecuk
16th Apr 2013, 15:21
Me too. They are great. A massive improvement over the 430ws

Bob Upanddown
16th Apr 2013, 16:30
I have recently finished installing a GTN750/650 system with the GMA35A audio panel and I have to say I am disappointed. We had many software issues installing the system in relation to having the system connect to other systems such as the air data computer, storm scope, traffic system etc.

The problem with this equipment is that so many of the shops installing it think it is just a nav/com with a GPS. Installed as that and it is bound to work. But it is a very complicated piece of kit with so many different settings to adjust to make it interface with other kit.
It might be user-friendly but installer-friendly it isn't. The problem, IMHO, is that Garmin try to say it can do so much. There is no way they can have tested every possible permutation of HSI or PFD and MFD, with TCAS and storm scope or radar and autopilot so each install is down to the guy reading the install manual.
I think this stuff is now too clever to fit in a 30 year old airframe. Or even a 5 to 10 year old one for that matter. If you want multiple PFD/MFD/TCAS displays, buy a Cirrus.
If you want touch screen, buy an iPad.

johnsimister
11th Oct 2015, 21:55
I am having trouble updating the GTN750 database with Jeppesen updates. What I would like to know is. if I insert the updated Garmin SD card into the GTN750 a couple of days before the database expiry date; will the GTN update the database then and there or wait until the expiry date before giving me the option to click "Update"? I cannot seem to get the unit to update but the expiry date is still a couple of days away.

Thanks John

ChickenHouse
12th Oct 2015, 09:44
I am having trouble updating the GTN750 database with Jeppesen updates. What I would like to know is. if I insert the updated Garmin SD card into the GTN750 a couple of days before the database expiry date; will the GTN update the database then and there or wait until the expiry date before giving me the option to click "Update"? I cannot seem to get the unit to update but the expiry date is still a couple of days away.

Thanks John
In the old days of 430&Co the device would just pull data from tha card and display what it got. A 750 is trying to outsmart you and if it does know the date, it will not accept an update, of which validity period is not today. By this it prevents the user from flying with a database wich will become valid in the future.

n5296s
13th Oct 2015, 15:49
I have an hour behind a 750. It was an hour well spent, because it stopped me from considering spending $20K to replace the 530 in my own plane.

The knob-twiddling interface to the 530 is clunky, but it works in turbulence. I don't see how the 750 touch screen could ever be usable in anything beyond light turb. And if you're flying in that stuff, the last thing you need is temperamental avionics. I also found it very cluttered and non-intutive - in theory the colour maps and so on should be a lot better, but I could never find the wood for the trees. Maybe that would improve with experience.

My 2c: save your money.

A and C
13th Oct 2015, 21:26
If you need a big map display the 750 is probably the best game in town as a stand alone unit, it has the ability to connect to a wide range of kit.

My reservations are two fold, first if you get a screen problem with the remote audio option then you could end up get being unable to use the other radio.

My second reservation is that if you have a G500 or 600 do you need a 750 ? Would you not be better with two 650's ? Used as control heads for the G500/600 and a conventional audio panel giving you lots of redunency in case of equipment failure as well as saving panel space.

ChickenHouse
15th Oct 2015, 10:07
If you need a big map display the 750 is probably the best game in town as a stand alone unit, it has the ability to connect to a wide range of kit.

My reservations are two fold, first if you get a screen problem with the remote audio option then you could end up get being unable to use the other radio.

My second reservation is that if you have a G500 or 600 do you need a 750 ? Would you not be better with two 650's ? Used as control heads for the G500/600 and a conventional audio panel giving you lots of redunency in case of equipment failure as well as saving panel space.
Feature-wise I second GTN750 is one of the nicest ladies in town. With my experience of failing devices I would never go for a complete remote device installation, but stay with the standard equipment plus interface.
Choosing 650/750 or 650/650 has something to do with redundancy requirements. There is a security reason the 530 and 430 had different mainboards and the 430/530 combination was the way to go, but I am not sure they kept this for the 650/750 family. If you have a principal software problem - and for sure nowadays there will come a time you hit that one **** on the fan event - you do not want to fail both GPSes.

Johnm
15th Oct 2015, 11:06
WE considered 750 and eventually went for 650 because we didn't fancy having all the kit operated from one touch screen and we're delighted with it. It interfaces with transponder intercom and HSI and JPI engine monitor no problems at all.

We use an IPAD to display the bigger picture of charts and plates and the combination works very well for IFR flying. If you only fly VFR then you only need an ipad!

Edited to add:

You MUST use a competent Garmin certified installation shop if you want a good outcome. We used RGV at Gloucester but there are other similar outfits around.

A and C
15th Oct 2015, 21:55
I was rather thinking of a simple equipment failure rather than a major software problem.......... But I guess that is why I find myself having to do an NDB/DME approach once a year !