PDA

View Full Version : Flying time aviation, Shoreham

nosmo king
27th Feb 2012, 16:08
Am considering using Flying time aviation at Shoreham to get my modular Frozen ATPL, has anybody been through the course recently or anybody care to comment on this particular school?

All info gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

njptvr
27th Feb 2012, 16:28
Have been with Flying Time for a small amount of my hours building, CPL and have almost completed the IR.

Hard to compare to other schools as I haven't been to any others for commercial training but my experience has been very positive overall.

Generally a very well maintained modern fleet with good availability.

Excellent standard and range of instructors from young to old with a wide variety of backgrounds.

Ops staff are a good bunch who will do their best to help you out as long as you play straight with them.

All courses are pay as you fly with a very minimal deposit up front, (the figure £350 rings a bell, certainly the right ball park but it may not be the exact figure).

Shoreham seems to be a good place to fly from. NBD/DME and RNav approaches at the field with a decent selection of ILSs near enough.

The sim is a nice FNPT2 with exactly the same fit as the DA42s you fly for real.

I cannot comment on the ATPL ground school as I did mine at Bristol other than to say the guys who I talk to on the course seem to be happy and getting good results.

The only other thing I would say is that they don't strike me as the kind of school to hold your hand and wipe your a** if you know what I mean. They are a professional training establishment who expect you to act like a professional, turn up on time, be prepared for your flight, go away and research things and find information out for yourself. I relish that way of learning and don't want to be spoon fed everything but is you want all the answers given to you on a plate this may not be the place for you!

If you want any more info feel free to PM me and we can chat!

Tsym
29th Feb 2012, 01:24
I did my Flight training with the now defunct Cabair, but used flying time aviation for hour building as they handled a similar fleet of aircraft.

I can only say good things about them from my own experiences. Never messed around, and staff were always friendly.

Student numbers were small whenever I was there; so whilst you won't have an entire support network of peers at the same stage as you (and as nj put it, no one to spoon feed you), you will get good aircraft availability and at a great price. Their DA40s were saving me over £60/hr on Cabair prices.

Best thing to do is go for a trial flight there.