PDA

View Full Version : When do I need to pass my IR(A) test by?

Halfbaked_Boy
25th Feb 2012, 14:46
I apologise for the seemingly lazy nature of this post, but keywords into Google and into PPRuNe have surprisingly not given me the very simple answer I'm looking for.

I have three years from the date of the last ATPL theoretical exam I passed to gain my IR(A). Is this correct?

If so, what constitutes 'gained'? That the examiner has signed the piece of paper, i.e. when I have passed? Or when the CAA approve the rating, i.e. when I have been issued?

Also, if relevant, will EASA's impending introduction change this?

I took my first batch April 2009. The last batch was 5th October 2009.

I know it should be simplistic, but the only references I have found otherwise have been for the IR(H).

Many thanks.

Andy_20
27th Feb 2012, 16:48
You have 3 years from final exam to issue i believe. A quick trip to Gatwick would provide you with your licence on the day.

BillieBob
27th Feb 2012, 20:25
This demonstrates the inadvisability of relying on ersatz interpretations of JAR-FCL, such as LASORS. The real requirement is:A pass in the theoretical knowledge examinations given in accordance with JAR–FCL 1.490 will be accepted for the grant of the CPL(A) or IR(A) during the 36 months from the date of gaining a Pass in all the required examination papers.So, provided that the application is received by the issuing Authority within 36 months of the last exam pass, the IR should be issued.

pilotmike
27th Feb 2012, 21:02
Before adding 'IR' to your CV.

truckflyer
27th Feb 2012, 21:26
It puzzles me why you would want to leave it that late! Getting it issued takes around 10 - 14 days, I promise you with UK weather, I would not want to make that sort of gamble in trying to cut it short, until the last moment.

Halfbaked_Boy
27th Feb 2012, 22:48
Thanking you :ok:

truckflyer, if I wanted to, it would puzzle me too! I've travelled down the self improver route, or what remains of it, alas never put pen to paper in the latter stages of school so took to working any crappy job I could to fund this game all these magnificent years. Unfortunately... Financially I've always found myself right on the arse of the drag curve and leaving this kind of thing to the last minute. C'est la vie!

pilotmike, having a scout round some of these fora, one may be excused for exhibiting some shock on reading that post!

Thinking about Spain, only I don't want to bust the opportunity to catch the back end of a turboprop RHS on its way through all because I didn't take the CPL and IR at the same establishment, therefore causing so much grief and ballache to the screeners that the return isn't worth the effort...

Rgds weather, I thought the IR was supposed to get you flying yourself and your aircraft into rubbish wx! Of course there are limits, but round my part of the country it is very, very rare indeed to find a day that would exclude a deiced, AP fitted twin from taking to the skies IFR. Embedded CBs and bad visibility spring to mind...

Anyway, cheers for the responses.

truckflyer
28th Feb 2012, 00:02
Regarding weather and other aspects. The major problem is wind! At least in South England, I experienced many days with strong winds, which made it useless to spend £350 an hour on approaches and holds. Do your IR during Spring/Summer and you should be fine, do in Autumn winter, and can be tough days. When wind over 20 - 25kts at altitude, it is a waste of money to go up to train.

Fog, low clouds, depending where you training and what facilities they have at their local airfield.

Also you will be doing Cat 1 Single Pilot Ops., so for precision approach you must have 800 m Vis, for NON precision, you must also have cloud base above MDH!

Some exercises requires good weather, example unusual attitudes + flying visual approach with one engine.

Anyway good luck, you probably need £12.000 - £15.000 to be safe.

Halfbaked_Boy
28th Feb 2012, 06:27
truckflyer, thanks for the response!

I'm sure there are many met factors that could impede the flying that perhaps I'm not even fully aware of yet, not having been exposed to the die hard regulatory environment of the instrument world!

The only flying job I've had so far was as simple as, see the clouds, read about the wind, AVOID!

I'm anticipating a start around July/August to give myself a safe two months, although if it looks like there's going to be a spell of good weather, I'll take a couple of weeks off and aim intensive.

The only concern I have is this... As much as I, and I'm sure all of us, like to think of ourselves as competent pilots having taken the trouble to gain a CPL, more than a couple of times have I seen people experience no troubles whatsoever throughout their training until the IR where they flounder catastrophically, or simply 'don't get it'.

Couldn't afford for that to happen!

Again, thank you for your advice, it's all been stored away :ok:

truckflyer
28th Feb 2012, 08:33
Your first 30 - 35 hours will be in sim, this will not give you any delays. However you have to remember when you go into aircraft you have issues like : FTO normally have few students to schedule, aircrafts goes tech, airfield equipment tech (ILS/NDB calibration) happen to me on my test day, so best laid plans got changed on test morning, weather as mentioned, booking of 170A - time and schedule, booking of examiner with the CAA.

From I did by 170A, it took 3 -4 weeks before I was able to get my test day booked in with the CAA, only to cancel on test day due to weather, and because of aircraft availability and examiner, it took another 2 weeks to do the test.

So 2 months is pushing it very tight, normally FTO does not do more than one sim session a day, becomes counter-productive after this, you need to process what you need to do. If you do IR on a DA42 - G1000, there is some excellent add ons for Flight Sim, that can get you practice your procedures at home.

However if you want to have a buffer zone for unexpected events, I would say 3 - 4 months would be ok, anything less, and it might just be beyond your control. Those 15 hours in the aircraft seems a little and fast to do, but depending on luck/unluck who knows. Also this summer if you in south east region, there are some restrictions due to the Olympics, not sure what they are, but heard some news of this. 2 months is not safe period for your IR, I am sorry.

What you could do, find an FTO where they do the sim sessions, and you could start that early part time, the sim is not so expensive, and when you have completed that you can start in the aircraft during your 2 month period.

I think the normal average period is 3 months from start to finish. But do not forget from your 170A pass to your test, this is beyond your control, and you do not want to end in a situation where you can not cancel your test because of to much wind.

If on test day you have wind above 20 kts, or and wind gusts which is not unusual in the UK, you will want to be able to cancel your test and re-book it, if you running out of time you might have no choice, and it will show bad airman-ship if you decide to fly under to bad conditions. Will be a pity if you have already spent all the money on the IR, and you run out of time because of this.

Trolle
28th Feb 2012, 08:50
It took about 2-3 months to get my IR issued.

The CAA took issue with my FAA certificate and the time delay with normal post and the summer vacation meant that it took longer than usual.

I still don't understand why a temporary license is not issued once you pass; you are without your licenses and logbooks while the CAA are issuing your license.

truckflyer
28th Feb 2012, 10:06
In this case issue time is not important, IR test must be done by the 36 months, issue can be after this date, as long as test and papers are with the CAA before the expiry date.