PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter which CAA to apply for EASA PART 66 LICENSE ?

VikingViking
24th Feb 2012, 19:10
Hello all,

seeking your advise from previous experience about what's mentioned in the title...
Does it matter which CAA to apply for EASA PART 66 LICENSE ?
most of guys here apply to UK CAA ( htye consider it default ) , but noticed some other training centers offering to help with application process with other CAA's like German, French or Greek.

from previous experience does it matter under any circumstances ?
I noticed that UK CAA are somehow strict and easily can refuse your application for any silly reason, so it worth sticking with them ?

does any companies in europe or middle east prefer UK CAA issued part 66 B1/B2 ?

Thanks....

VikingViking
24th Feb 2012, 19:55
Thanks for your prompt reply Fargoo.

But is it only UK who is strict ? no other authority ?

and how come EASA is approving other CCA's while they are careless and easy ?!

ironchefflay
25th Feb 2012, 00:41
UK CAA most widely accepted round the world.

NutLoose
25th Feb 2012, 00:52
In theory it shouldn't but different states apply different standards, I know of people having to sit extras simply to convert what they have in other EASA countries to a UK one, as said the UK seem to operate to a higher standard.. The old licences were recognised as one of the best, therefore in the worlds eyes a lot of UK EASA licenced Engineers are those that have simply converted over....another advantage is as a lot of the world speaks English, having a CAA one infers by the fact you passed it, you can read, write and talk the language, a French one as an example wouldn't.

VikingViking
25th Feb 2012, 19:22
Thanks a lot for your reply guys.
what i can understand that it doesn't matter but preferably advisable to apply to UK CAA...

Thanks

Kuchan
25th Feb 2012, 22:43
This may reflect why UK CAA EASA LAE is accepted in Malaysia, Singapore H.K. etc

http://www.pprune.org/engineers-technicians/469828-approval-easa-147-a.html

Well written by an Australian LAE.

The British aren't at war with the EU they just have a very different idea of what constitutes competence, integrity and safety. Unlike other EU states EVERY BCAR licence holder passed a series of examinations before obtaining their licence (multiple choice, written essays and an oral). We also should not forget negative marking. Get a question wrong and a point was deducted.

This included those with engineering degrees and other related university qualifications who received no credits or at very best, perhaps exempt the multiple choice module 20. In effect a worthless credit.

The standard was maintained because the BCAR process of becoming licensed deterred wasters and weeded out most of those who were lacking in skill, knowledge etc..

This is where the French and other systems failed. Yes there are excellent French licensed engineers but there are also MANY appalling ones. This is reflected throughout Europe where there was a lack of any systematic examining of potential engineers or where credits were applied without integrity.

At the end of the day it isn't actually about nationalities its about national systems. The BCAR system consistently produced the highest average of competent engineers with integrity. All other systems will also produce high calibre engineers but it is process dependent and all other systems produce a lower average number of good, competent engineers due to the process not being as strictly enforced as the BCAR one.

That may be hard to accept for some but its fact. I have seen this in my travels around Europe and is why I am very concerned about current events in Australia where we slowly aligning with Part 66. The Australian system was very similar to the UK BCAR one and I believe we should have kept it. Not because it was Australian but because it consistently produced good engineers.

G'day

VikingViking
26th Feb 2012, 07:58
Nice article explains something...
But still ,this was during the BCAR license where orals,mcq,essay questions existed ,but now EASA is all about submitting correct and certified modular exam results and experience logbook (which will be done anyway easily if u r working ) , so the process should be very similar and big differences.
i heard some stories from friends who just got their application rejected because fo some wording in certs or logbook,where in some other cases for other friends from same company and same training certs,they got accepted and approved !!! is it randomly strict ???!!

Kiwiconehead
26th Feb 2012, 10:24
Paraphrasing George Orwell.......

All Part 66 licences are equal, but some are more equal than others