PDA

View Full Version : Q400 Minimum landing visibility?

ImPlaneCrazy
24th Feb 2012, 15:03
Just a quick one, is there such thing / what is the minimum landing viability on the Q400?

Tu.114
24th Feb 2012, 15:12
With operative HGS in my company - Cat IIIa with 50´ and 200m RVR;

if the HGS is not working, Cat 2 with 100´ and 300m RVR.

While the system definitely works, it is not always much fun to hand-fly a Cat III on the last leg of the day - Autoland capability is in my humble opinion much more desirable.

ImPlaneCrazy
24th Feb 2012, 16:14
Thanks for the clarification on that one gents - I take it that means that if the runway is not visible at 200' a go around must be performed?

Deano777
24th Feb 2012, 17:12
ImPlaneCrazy

If you are talking about Flybe's Q400s, coupled with the bad weather in the Channel islands over the last couple of days then this is what the deal is for us (alot of which has already been said). For CAT II operations the visibility needs to be 300mtrs or better for us to make an approach. The crew, airfield and aeroplane needs to be CAT II capable. For CAT 1 operations (standard ops) the visibility needs to be 550mtrs or greater for us to be able to make an approach. Local restrictions can apply, like some airfields require you to have 800mtrs visibility, or 1000mtrs visibility to be able to make an approach. If you are allowed to make an approach then the height at which you have to be visual is 100ft for CAT II operations, and 200ft for CAT 1 operations.

The Channel Islands are only certified for CAT 1 operations so the visibility required is alot more restrictive. (550mtrs & above), the weather here has not got above 200mtrs (+/-50ft) for the last two days and nothing has gone in or out of there for this period. Yes, you have to conduct a go-around if you have not got any section of the approach lighting visible at 200ft (above aerodrome)

Hope this helps.

Tu.114
24th Feb 2012, 18:04
LineUpAndWait and Deano, thank You for filling the gap here. Of course, the figures I stated are the absolute minimum to which the aircraft is certified - lower than that is not flyable on the DH8-400 in my company. But as has been stated, the use of those minima is dependent on the availability of Cat 3 (or Cat 2 in that case) suitable ground equipment, currency and certification of the flight crew and serviceability of the relevant aircraft systems.

So - to determine the lowest USABLE minimum of the DH8-400 (and any other aircraft I am aware of) for a specific runway, look at

1. the lowest minimum the aircraft is certified for with regards to systems installed and serviceable;

2. the lowest minimum both of the operating flight crew members are trained and certified for (of course, if only one has Cat III training while the other one has none, no Cat III can be flown in anger);

3. the lowest minimum the airfield/runway to be used is equipped and certified for - usually to be found out on the approach plates, but keeping in mind possible temporary downgrades of the equipment most often disseminated via NOTAMs. Also an ILS transmitter or the runway lighting might fail sometimes.

And from those 3 sets of figures, You will take the highest as Your requirements for the approach and then fly the associated approach procedure.

ImPlaneCrazy
25th Feb 2012, 21:12
Deano777 - yes indeed I was referring to the FlyBe Q400s and the Channel Islands in particular (read me like a book :ok:), very helpful information and luckily I made it back the big smoke.

Many thanks for all of your information people, very much appreciated.