PDA

View Full Version : Fairchild Swearingen Merlin

Stationair8
24th Feb 2012, 04:32
Apart from good old DCA, who else operated the Merlin in Australia?

Shredder6
24th Feb 2012, 04:37
I saw one in Coolie as we taxiied past yesterday!

:ok:

rioncentu
24th Feb 2012, 05:03
Mike Jones in Mackay had a fair bit to do with them as far as I know.

Mind you I think Mike gave Orville and Wilbur a hand too :D

chimbu warrior
24th Feb 2012, 05:09
Bougainville Copper had one, so did Elders IXL, Esso and Opal Air. Also there was a blue one at Essendon for years that belonged to a chain of clothing stores (can't remember their name, but think they went out of business).

BPA
24th Feb 2012, 05:30
Jewels supermarkets in NSW operated, AWU was the rego from memory.

AussieO2
24th Feb 2012, 05:46
Try these rego's, KRG/CFO TO SWP/EGC TO SSM/EMO/SSL/BCL/LDQ/SWK/AWU/OVC/UBB. plus the DCA ones, CAH/CAI/CAJ/CAK/CAL/CAM, VH-CAL went to VH-SSD. Might be wrong, but do not think they were Fairchild, just Swearingen .

Stationair8
24th Feb 2012, 06:22
Where did the DCA ones finish up scrapped or parted out?

717tech
24th Feb 2012, 07:45
Ausjet at Essendon operates VH-RCI.

Triple Captain
24th Feb 2012, 07:48
Nigel Wettenhall out at Deni was operating one for a while. I dont think he still has it. It was one of the VH-SS rego'd (i think)

jas24zzk
24th Feb 2012, 11:46
Anyone know which is the one that appears at Bathurst each year. Silver/Maroon scheme ??

Looks sexy as...and i hate pencil liners, but the merlin :drool: :drool:

LeadSled
25th Feb 2012, 05:38

One rebuilt to flying condition, the other not to far away. Both converted to -11 engines, a huge improvement in time to climb, cruise performance and range --- which was already pretty good.

Tootle pip!!

LeadSled
25th Feb 2012, 05:38

One rebuilt to flying condition, the other not to far away. Both converted to -11 engines, a huge improvement in time to climb, cruise performance and range --- which was already pretty good.

The second will have a full glass cockpit.

Tootle pip!!

kimwestt
25th Feb 2012, 05:46
I heard it was only 1/2 glass at best !!!!!!!
Is the s-tec 65 still gettin fitted? Expensive STC I gather.
Plus the 227 horizontal stab.
And what about the winglets?
"Keep the shiny side up":ok:

Defenestrator
25th Feb 2012, 09:30
Leadsled,

What's the expected TAS with -11's? How does it rate performance wise to a B200?

D.

aussie027
25th Feb 2012, 09:56
I flew a Merlin IIIB with Dash 10s, 900SHP.
Cruise TAS running just under redline temp was always from 275-300KTAS from the FL160-FL250 depending on OAT and Pressure naturally.
The Dash 11 is 1000SHP?

Some TPE 331engine model comparison specs here-

https://www.e-engines.honeywell.com/eeng/turboprops/prod_specb.html

Sorry I cannot find the formula, I swore I had it here somewhere but basically, IIRC in a given airframe, both the same, the extra speed you gain varies with the cube of the avail power, all other factors being equal.
So if you wanted to double your original speed you need approx 8 TIMES the avail power!!
So if you had theoretically say 1800hp avail and now you have 2000hp, only an 11% increase so the additional TAS will be only a few kts above the prior speed.

An example would be in WW 2 , say in Spitfires, where the approx same config airframe, although heavier etc went from basically 1000BHP and a max speed of approx 350mph to over 2100 BHP in later models but max level speeds only went up approx 100mph for double the avail power.
As I said just a very,basic approximation and a simplified formula.It is out on the net somewhere, it is used in aircraft design. If anyone can find it I would appreciate the link.:ok:

Desert Flower
25th Feb 2012, 10:41
Nigel Wettenhall out at Deni was operating one for a while. I dont think he still has it. It was one of the VH-SS rego'd (i think)

SSL is still registered to him. There are 11 others on the register: IAU; KGX; LDQ; MKS; NGX; OGX; OVC; SSD; SSM; SSV; & WGX.
I can remember one of Opal Air's landing with one engine inoperable at Leigh Creek sometime in the 80's while flight service was still there. Pilot never told them he had one out, just landed, taxied in, parked it up & shut down. It sat there for some time befor another engine was brought over & fitted.

DF.