PDA

View Full Version : AIP's v's Jeppsen

Flash_11
23rd Feb 2012, 13:06
Had a search but couldn't find any results. I'm getting back into flying after a 3yr absence and just wondering what is the preferred (easier to use) documents.

AIP's or Jeppsens.

Thanks for your input.

Lasiorhinus
23rd Feb 2012, 13:50
You need to amend your Jepps every two weeks.
You need to amend your AIP every three months.

Easy choice for me.

Capt Claret
23rd Feb 2012, 17:56
Perhaps the operator you work for will mandate one or t'other. Where I work, Jeppesen are mandated.

iPad's with Jeppview are wonderfull :}

Jabawocky
23rd Feb 2012, 20:37
I have asset of up to date Jepp manuals if you want to buy them!

In fact two sets if I get knocked over in the rush:E

Kelly Slater
23rd Feb 2012, 23:16
AIP is free on the net.
Oz runways for Ipad is, I think, AIP based.
Jepps are on thin paper if you need to carry paper.
Jepps are mandated by airlines and those that think they are airlines.
Jepps will probably be supplied if you do sim as part of an interview with a large organization.
Being used to Jepps will be advantageous if you wish to work for an airline.
Because Jepps are updated more frequently than AIP, they have very few manuscript amendments.

Wally Mk2
24th Feb 2012, 00:12
As "kelly" mentioned Jepps are what the airlines use as well as some other high end operators (RFDS for Eg) so perhaps base yr decision on yr long term goals/plans.
I've had/used both over the years, Jepps are now part of my day to day life out there amongst the clouds:ok:
Besides if you crash & live in some inhospitable place then the Jepps are much kinder on the more softer parts of the anatomy:-)

Both sets have the same capability.

Wmk2

Feather #3
24th Feb 2012, 00:27
The choice for me was to convert to Jepps due to the lower cost of the overall package for IFR Oz-wide coverage.

Had I stuck to the East Coast only, the AIP would have worked and I still purchase AsA products for VFR use.

As to the fortnightly Jepp amendments, it sorts out the pencilled-in "PERM" Notams.

Finally, I'd suggest that if you fly VFR, the AIP will suffice.

G'day ;)

Flash_11
25th Feb 2012, 12:35
Thanks for your responses has helped me greatly. cheers:)

maehhh
25th Feb 2012, 14:03
Chose Jepps - like it!

Old Akro
26th Feb 2012, 00:32
I moved to Jepps years ago when ASA moved to the A5 format. I think a fundamental advantage of Jepps is that its format is determined by real pilots, not Canberra bureaucrats. Jepp have a structured system of simulator trials and field tests before implementing changes. This results in charts which are subtly different, but in a way that makes them better, eg larger font sizes for important information. use of colour on selected charts, etc.

Jepps have an electronic edition which is street legal. While ASA allow download from the website, I think the legality of using these is questionable because it lacks the version control of the Jepps electronic version.

The Jepp Flitedeck software is really good in flight and you get the ipad reader for free with a subscription.

If you are going paper, its true that the updates are fortnightly. But I would suggest that the overal volume of paper is about half that of ASA. Jepp seem to make less mistakes that require re-issue. I also reckon 15 min every 2 weeks is easier than 2 hours or more every 3 months. The paper is thinner, but it doesn't tear and it gets less print "bleed through" than the plain paper ASA version. Jwepps are half US legal, which makes them about 1/2 inch narrower than the half A5 ASA charts, which doesn't say much, but i think makes it earier to use in the cockpit.

Lasiorhinus
26th Feb 2012, 05:28
Being used to Jepps will be advantageous if you wish to work for an airline.

I hear this "reason" bandied about a lot.

Why? Are you saying Jepps take so much extra brainpower to "get used to" that you should practise using them before you work for an airline?
If that's the case, then surely it would be better to leave them until you're working for that multi-crew airline where you can "practise" using them as an FO with a captain sitting next to you, rather than start while flying piston twins on single-pilot IFR, when there is no one else there, and you're using these brand new Jepps that take SO much practise before you're safe to use them?

LeadSled
26th Feb 2012, 05:37
Folks,
There has got to be a reason that Jepp is preferred worldwide, for IFR operations, and not just by airlines, and various other service providers, such as the old Airad (International Air Radio) have receded to be little more than niche players.

What Airservices provides is what all ICAO countries provide, a national AIP set, and to the not very user friendly ICAO format.

Having used a variety over the years, for more reasons than I can enumerate, Jepp. is the choice.

For VFR operations in AU, stick with the relevant Airservices charts, they are actually pretty good for the purpose.

Tootle pip!!

maehhh
26th Feb 2012, 05:37
Why? Are you saying Jepps take so much extra brainpower to "get used to" that you should practise using them before you work for an airline?

Nope, but you learn best what you learn first...

Lasiorhinus
26th Feb 2012, 06:05
Nope, but you learn best what you learn first...

So everyone who started using the AIP first might as well go home?

Lasiorhinus
26th Feb 2012, 06:09
Folks,
There has got to be a reason that Jepp is preferred worldwide, for IFR operations, and not just by airlines,

Absolutely. Standardisation and consistency. Jepps are presented in pretty much the same format for everywhere in the entire world. This makes Jeppesen charts the ideal format for an airline operating in multiple countries, where the choice of having everything standardised everywhere will win out over having different sets of differently presented data for different areas.

This is a completely irrelevant argument for an operator who remains entirely within Australia.

Kelly Slater
26th Feb 2012, 07:17
Yaminon, you can have your say without attacking a person. If you want your first experience with Jeeps to be at that Airline interview sim ride, feel free.

kellykelpie
26th Feb 2012, 07:31

It has nothing to do with brainpower, just being familiar with where things are on the chart:ugh:

Lasiorhinus
26th Feb 2012, 08:19
Kelly Slater; No one is attacking you or anyone else personally. Just because I questioned the reasoning behind one of your statements doesnt mean Im attacking a person.