PDA

View Full Version : Prevailing winds data

jabird
22nd Feb 2012, 20:21
I'm more interested in looking at this from the point of view of what you see from the window, but I guess the answer is more likely to come from a spotter.

Is there a reliable source of prevailing winds data to generate the most likely approach direction used at major UK & international airports? I've found a source for the US, but only from one month to the next.

Searched through EDI's masterplan, but nothing. I have usually approached from the east, and as a resident, arrivals from this directions were observed far more than departures.

Naturally, when it comes to looking from (rather than at) planes, the view works the same in reverse, although it is less predictable as a/c will turn quickly to orientate towards their destination.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Feb 2012, 09:05
Look at the on-line charts to see the runway headings. They're usually designed to favour prevailing winds. For what might happen on a particular day, check the weather forecast for the wind direction.

p7r
23rd Feb 2012, 09:17
I started to do some work on this myself, and having spoken to some of the best meteorologists in the land, the basic consensus is that prevailing wind is theoretically predictable to within reasonable tolerances at about 20,000 feet ASL and above if you're prepared to throw enough money at it (i.e. quite a lot).

Below 20,000 feet it gets much harder to predict direction and particularly velocity, particularly when dealing with heat islands (i.e. cities), and the areas about 20 miles around them, which is of course where most major airports are.

So I'm afraid you're going to have to hope for the best if you want to try and predict runway usage days/weeks in advance. If you do find an answer to this, I'd certainly love to hear about it as it would be interesting physics if nothing else.

chiglet
23rd Feb 2012, 21:49
Wind Map - Britain Observations (http://www.xcweather.co.uk/)

I find this site quite useful

jabird
23rd Feb 2012, 23:06
Look at the on-line charts to see the runway headings. They're usually designed to favour prevailing winds

Yes, but most UK airports only use one runway for most ops - so taking EDI as an example, how often does 12/30 get used - 2-3% of movements?

I wasn't looking for a prediction - that would be too difficult and I have taken enough flights where the aircraft has landed in one direction and gone out in exactly the opposite - not counting places like SXM where terrain make this routine.

More a case of saying - "at EDI, based on rough observations, 70% of landings are from the east" - is that about right, a bit high or a bit low.

And repeat for any airport that has things worth seeing on at least one side - so within the UK, I'd say - LCY, EDI, BHD, DND & LHR for starters.

jabird
23rd Feb 2012, 23:11
Wind Map - Britain Observations

I find this site quite useful

Thanks - lovely to watch (I am a mapping anorak!)

If airline does allocated seating, assigned at check-in, you might have an hour notice to pick a good seat, based on observed movements before arrival in terminal. Problem now is so many check in online - and they just want upfront, they don't give a damn about window!

One tip - on my last flight, which was BHD-LHR with BD, computer said no - windows all taken. So when I dropped bag, I asked again and they said they kept spare seats at back in case of minors etc. I got right hand side, perfect for brief glimpse of Samson & Goliath before the usual low cloud cover.

For free seating carriers, you can observe a bit closer to departure, and with rear-stair boarding there are usually enough window seats available.

DaveReidUK
24th Feb 2012, 17:06
More a case of saying - "at EDI, based on rough observations, 70% of landings are from the east" - is that about right, a bit high or a bit low.

Bear in mind, though, that there isn't necessarily an exact correlation between wind and landing/takeoff direction. For example at Heathrow, movements will be westerly even with an easterly tailwind of up to 5 knots.

jabird
24th Feb 2012, 19:37
Bear in mind, though, that there isn't necessarily an exact correlation between wind and landing/takeoff direction. For example at Heathrow, movements will be westerly even with an easterly tailwind of up to 5 knots.

Fair enough, I should have really said prevailing direction of landing. My interest is in what you see from the window, which is only an indirect result of the wind direction. Movements are obviously logged, and movements are published in terms of operator & origin / destination, not so sure about runway used though?