PDA

View Full Version : About to start MECIR

propelled
22nd Feb 2012, 10:38
Hi Guys n Gals,

About to shop around to find a school to complete my MECIR on east coast of oz...

p.s. mods, this thread isnt meant to be about getting some thumbs-ups or downs for a particular school...

But my main question to those who have been there, is to ask if it makes any difference as to where I complete my training, in regards to the type of aerodrome the school is based at. eg: controlled, non-controlled, types of approaches nearby etc..

Any advice much appreciated.. and if anyone does want to personally recommend, p.m. is welcomed..

Cheers guys,

propelled
23rd Feb 2012, 07:42
Any feedback on the above guys?

and feel free to private message me any school recommendations..
cheers

PLovett
23rd Feb 2012, 07:55
propelled, there is a syllabus to be followed by every IFR school, the only question for you is what approaches you want on your rating. Some schools don't have a handy ILS, others have everything on the doorstep.

Personally I found that not having every approach nearby beneficial as I got to relax somewhat while in the cruise whereas some renewals I have likened to flying in your backyard - everything comes at you far faster than you want.

Whatever you decide may I suggest that you include the RNAV NPA as one of the approaches. If you are following the commercial dream then you are likely to be flying in the more remote areas of Oz where they seem to be multiplying faster than rabbits.

belly tank
23rd Feb 2012, 10:29
I'm heading to Johnstons in YPMQ in a few weeks to upgrade my SECIR to a multi. I've been dealing with Jamie on the phone and he's been just great to say the least . Sent me all the B55 info to pre study.

Quietly excited!(for a rotary guy):)

anothertwit
23rd Feb 2012, 11:42
I have to disagree Plovett. I would much rather get my MECIR training from someone who has flown the line in the s#@t than an instructor who is only there to teach the syllabus and get some hours. :mad:

The tips and tricks that you learn from these real world people will save your ass many times over.

I'm a big believer that you should become an instructor at the end of your career, not the beginning. :O

Back to the topic, give WardAir in Bathurst a call, I can recommend them. :ok:

Just my two bob. :E