PDA

View Full Version : Israel, Cyprus, Syria, Turkey & Gas

ORAC
22nd Feb 2012, 08:51
Interesting blog by the Streetwise Professor forecasting Russia fomenting trouble in the area.

Other interesting snippet, from the linked blog, is the statement: "Netanyahu is on his way to Nicosia this week (the first ever visit of an Israeli PM to the island), and Israel is expected to formally ask to station fighter jets at a southern Cypriot airbase."

Streetwise Professor: Great. Like They Needed Something Else to Fight Over (http://streetwiseprofessor.com/?p=6069)

FlapJackMuncher
22nd Feb 2012, 11:20
Can only think of one southern Cyprus airbase. :oh:

Not wrong about the Russian presence on the island.

ORAC
22nd Feb 2012, 11:32
Can only think of one southern Cyprus airbase. :oh: Paphos or Limassol I wonder?

Pontius Navigator
22nd Feb 2012, 12:44
Larnaca, or Kophinou Highway, or Kingsfield?

helimarshaller
22nd Feb 2012, 12:49
Strip at Dhekalia where I spent 2 great years at 16 Flt is no longer in use.

Had an AN26 in before now, by accident though.

HM

pzu
22nd Feb 2012, 13:03
See

Israel eyes Cyprus for military air base (http://famagusta-gazette.com/israel-eyes-cyprus-for-military-air-base-p14421-69.htm)

and thread on Cyprus Living

CyprusLiving • View topic - Israel eyes Cyprus for military air base (http://www.cyprusliving.org/phpbb/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38771&sid=a734b979162b1363b91851039bde752d)

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Pontius Navigator
22nd Feb 2012, 14:44
heli, did you mean Kingsfield? There is a glider or light aircraft on it in Google earth. Besides as long as the runway exists it could be reactivated.

AnglianAV8R
22nd Feb 2012, 15:40
There are two airfields in the Eastern SBA... The original Kingsfield strip is just off the road that went to Pergamos Camp. It is the longer of the two and where the gliding club is. The other strip, latterly the home of AAC Gazelles until they were withdrawn, is about a mile inland from Dhekelia power station and is quite a bit shorter. Interestingly, the Google Earth image of the second strip appears to show an Islander/Defender there.

Kingsfield is right up by the 'border' with the Turkish occupied part of the island. Perhaps that is partly why the newer strip was built further away?

I recall passing Kingsfield on the school bus in the early seventies and admiring an RAF Hercules there. Sadly, it had, I was told, tangled with the hangar and it took some time to get it repaired.

Edit; WRT the original topic, the Airport at Parhos was built with Greek money as a reinforcement base to be used in the event of further hostilities with the marauding Turks.... There is a HAS complex on the northerly side. That is where the Hind gunships operate from.

Jumping_Jack
22nd Feb 2012, 15:59
Gliding Club at Kingsfield has been binned following pressure from the Cyps...worries about interference with Larnaca. :(

helimarshaller
22nd Feb 2012, 15:59
Pontius,
heli, did you mean Kingsfield?
No:=

16 Flt AAC operated Sioux, Alouette 2 & Gazelle during the 70's, 80's & 90's from a strip on the eastern side of UK Eastern Sovereign Base Area at Dhekelia.

Lat Long +34° 59' 38.51", +33° 44' 56.80"

Google 34.99403,33.74911

During the early 80's a Tarom AN26 mistook the runway at Dhekelia for the runway at Larnaca and came to a stop just short of the runway end. Most of the contents were removed to the Flight Bar so that it was light enough to take off.‎

The Islander from Netheravon Parachute Centre goes to Cyprus every year for training and was/is normally parked at the strip for security when there.

HM

EESDL
22nd Feb 2012, 21:01
good job the Yanks gave us the money to keep a base on Cyprus all those years ago -......

JAVELINBOY
23rd Feb 2012, 01:12
Passed through Paphos Airport last night saw 2 Canadian C17's sat there. Did see one of them go out during the week. Anyone know what they are there for?

helimarshaller
23rd Feb 2012, 07:54
Javelinboy,

The United Nations patrol the line between South & North Cyprus. For years the Canadians have had a large contingent based in the Nicosia area.

Paphos is probably the preferred point of entry for them. When I was based in Cyprus in the 70/80's the Canadians flew C130's under the UN Flag into Akrotiri.
:ok:

mosquito077
4th Mar 2012, 08:11
HM,

The BN2a26 Islander callsign 5BCHD is permanetly based at Kingsfield and belongs to Cyprus Combined Services Parachute Centre. It is flown into the old 16 Flt landing strip, 1400 ft, to make use of the hanger for servicing.

The ac has no connection with Netheravon.

Mos

floppyjock
4th Mar 2012, 09:06
Hi Mosquito077

Before CCSPC had their Islander a Netheravon Islander did go to Cypres each year for a few weeks for staff training and was based at 16 Flt overnight. I know as I was on the staff at the time.

Floppy

mosquito077
4th Mar 2012, 16:32
Roger that Floppy, was that a turbine? 5HD is a piston. Good times I bet?

Mos

floppyjock
4th Mar 2012, 19:04
Think they have had both out there.

Floppy

AGS Man
5th Mar 2012, 09:16
I used to responsible for the runway lighting at Kingsfield (85-88) I think we only ever deployed there twice in that time but I always enjoyed the monthly jolly from Akrotiri to Dhekelia to check all the kit

ORAC
5th Mar 2012, 09:36
I did my parachute course there back in 76/77; when the aircraft was flown by a mad Rumanian instructor from the local Flying Club who'd flown Me-109s for the Lutwaffe in Russia in WWII. :uhoh:

TwoTwoAlpha
7th Mar 2012, 22:39
No Canadian troops serving with the UNFICYP any longer. The C-17s are en route to and from a large NATO Airfield in Southern Afghanistan and their troops de-compress at a popular tourist resort in Western Cyprus before returning home...

22A