PDA

View Full Version : Cool sounding job!

VH-XXX
22nd Feb 2012, 07:48
Read this and tell me it doesn't sound like an impressive job! Who said there were no decent jobs out there and they DO pay above the award??!!

Government of Western Australia
Western Australia Police
Line Pilot (Rotary Wing)
Police Air Wing
Web Search No: 108571 & 210133
Level/Salary: Up to $127,235 pa depending on quals & exp (plus allow's for working afternoon, night & weekend shifts).

As a Line Pilot (Rotary Wing) you will gain a range of training and experience that are not available with other employers. You will be involved in tactical flying operations with the TRG, including assaults and live fire missions; Assist the Water Police and perform Search and Rescue operations; Conduct day and night patrols to assist police; Conduct drug detection and eradication operations; Air Ambulance backup; Air survelliance operations and K9 transport and deployment.

To Access Detailed Information: http://www.jobs.wa.gov.au (http://www.jobs.wa.gov.au/) and key in the web Search No. to access detailed information pack or phone (08) 9268 7895 to be mailed an information pack.

For Specific inquiries:

Please contact Captain Rohan Armstrong on telephone number (08) 9411 7222 (not to be contacted for job application packages).

Closing Date : Tuesday, 6 March 2012 at 4.00pm

Trojan1981
23rd Feb 2012, 00:53
They do talk the talk...

I wonder how much of that they would actually do :hmm:

You also used to have to be a sworn and serving officer to fly there. When I was flying over there last year a workmate enquired about possible employment and was told to join the police first. That said, they have a critical shortage of police there so maybe things have changed.

yarpa
23rd Feb 2012, 03:23
Slight thread creep but it will be interesting to see what Queensland does if they get a Polair on the Gold Coast. Will they follow NSW and Vic. having coppers at the wheel?

Heliringer
23rd Feb 2012, 03:37
They're not real coppers, just pilots that have been given a few weeks induction and I really don't see the point of it to be honest.

Trojan1981
23rd Feb 2012, 04:23
That's in NSW yeah, but WA only wanted full, sworn officers with minimum time in GDs last year.

VH-XXX
23rd Feb 2012, 05:06
Public perception. If you're flying a Police Chopper, you're a copper as far as they (the public) are concerned. You probably need to be a sworn officer to be shot at etc. They can probably get away with paying you less if you are sworn in :O

rotorfan
23rd Feb 2012, 07:52
My local police force heli department is made up of law enforcement officers, who just happen to patrol under a rotor instead of in a car. It makes sense to me, as they would be well-versed in police procedures, psychology of the bad guys, etc. I never considered that all police forces aren't similarly organized.

yarpa
23rd Feb 2012, 10:01
Spot on XXX, I am only speaking for Vic. but pilots have to do all academy course and exams minus marching and PT. Requal for shooting and fighting and verbal judo every 6 months and get paid less than their fellow pilots who only have to fly. More quals less pay go figure..... Maybe QLD should have police pilots to save some cash.

VH-XXX
23rd Feb 2012, 10:14
Maybe QLD should have police pilots to save some cash

You are not wrong. In the real world, that is a lot of cash for that job.

Ascend Charlie
23rd Feb 2012, 22:17
I prefer the idea of a highly-qualified and experienced pilot who can put the aircraft anywhere that the highly-qualified and experienced police officer Observer asks him to. A gung-ho observer can get carried away in the heat of a chase and ask the pilot to do stuff which might be unsafe or plain silly, and the pilot needs the ability to say no.

The pilot does not need to understand a criminal, but he DOES need to know how to use the aircraft. The observer understands the bad guys. And after a short time in the job, the pilot picks up the understanding anyway.

And yes, I have been through the Copper Refinery to become a police constable after already having been a pilot for 15 years (this was back in 1982). The police training allows the pilot to carry a gun and take part in an arrest if necessary. Never had to do it, luckily.:ok: