PDA

View Full Version : STARS in Saskatchewan and Manitoba

compressor_stall
22nd Feb 2012, 03:32
I am applying for a position with STARS in Saskatchewan and want any feedback from members who are employed with them now or in the past.

Any details would be great.

falkyn1
22nd Feb 2012, 23:58
Excellent organization with an expanding number of future opportunities.
You will not regret working for STARS.
Nothing like Ornge; only a positive environment here.

Arnie Madsen
23rd Feb 2012, 00:48
STARS in Manitoba ?? As far as I know we do not have , unless brought in from different provinces during floods or other emergencies etc.
Maybe Govt will bring a permanent unit here ..... they had been talking about it. It took a lot of debate just to get one surveillance helicopter for the Winnipeg Police.

Link to a Government news letter from 2011 (STARS - flood)
Province of Manitoba | News Releases | STARS Air Ambulance Helicopter Returns to Manitoba for 2011 Flood Season (http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=11163)

On a side note a STARS (from out of province) happened to be stationed here in 2006 and saved the life of a 5 year old boy trapped in a culvert full of water.

==========
Edit ... to my surprise I see the following in todays news : Manitoba is a little safer now that it's reached for the STARS. On Wednesday, the province formally signed a 10-year deal with the Alberta-based Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society, which will provide a shiny red helicopter ambulance with paramedics and nurses ready to fly to folks in need.

STARS has already been here full-time since last spring, and Health Department experts credit it with saving 50 lives in that time. "Today is a historic moment for emergency care (in Manitoba)," Health Minister Theresa Oswald said at a ceremony on West Hangar Road attended by STARS executives, more than a dozen blue-uniformed STARS pilots, paramedics and nurses and their families.

The province first made use of the non-profit service during the 2009 flood, and it quickly proved its life-saving potential.

STARS align for air rescue - Winnipeg Free Press (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/stars-align-for-air-rescue-140118793.html) ...

.just goes to show that PPrune gets the news before the locals.

Bladestrike
23rd Feb 2012, 11:18
I operated an EMS 222 in Manitoba during the big flood many moons ago, must have been over 15-16 years ago. There was alot of momentum to set up a permanent EMS bird then, it was fun to apart of the process, but unfortunately it fell through. It'd be nice to see them get one finally.