PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Articles on Over-Reliance on GPS

muppetdog
21st Feb 2012, 14:01
I am writing a paper and was looking for some good articles on Over-Reliance of GPS in aviation. Does anybody know of any out there?

Thanks in advance

muppetdog
21st Feb 2012, 19:15
Good input guys. thanks. but does anyone know of any articles that discus this topic?

aterpster
21st Feb 2012, 20:43
Don't know of any.

Anotheravatar
21st Feb 2012, 23:16
There is something out there called 'Children of the Magenta' that goes into this.

Golden Rivet
22nd Feb 2012, 06:59
this caught my eye today -

BBC News - Sentinel project research reveals UK GPS jammer use (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17119768)

aterpster
22nd Feb 2012, 12:10
There is something out there called 'Children of the Magenta' that goes into this.

A bit of a distinction. That refers to the RNAV navigation platform, of which GPS may, or may not, be a sensor.

Slasher
23rd Feb 2012, 05:36
Muppet you after events where yer average VFR private pilot
has gotten lost in the wilds after his Garmin failed and forgot
how to navigate visually and/or clock and compass?

FE Hoppy
23rd Feb 2012, 10:23
Some boffins at CERN were a bit over-reliant last year. Turns out a re-rack was all that was needed to fix the results.

muppetdog
25th Feb 2012, 18:30
Muppet you after events where yer average VFR private pilot
has gotten lost in the wilds after his Garmin failed and forgot
how to navigate visually and/or clock and compass?

Yeah I am looking for that kind of stuff because I have almost don that myself.

300-600
25th Feb 2012, 18:46
Hi,
This is a problem in certain companies which have the kit approved to do this ...but do not have the training...access to NOTAMs which tells you where / when it is likely to be unreliable. The sun is a major contributor to GPS unreliability...over the next few years the sun is entering a major period of instability and we will see much more of this. In my experience when it goes wrong (three times for me) it goes wrong spectacularly. One old /wise (but slightly bitter) bod said to me treat it like a woman.... love it to bits...but don't trust it.:ooh:

Big Pistons Forever
25th Feb 2012, 20:03
Or you can just use the UK method. 99.8 % of the time the GPS will give you your position within 15 metres. But because there is the 0.2 % chance it will not work better to just turn it off and depend on the proven "reliable" instruments like the ADF :rolleyes:

Obviously maintaining situational awareness at all times is imperative, but anyone who does not use the navigational precision of GPS for their primary VFR navigation information is, IMO, foolish.

911slf
26th Feb 2012, 14:08
The Sun is now available seven days per week.

I'll get my coat......

bookworm
27th Feb 2012, 11:40
Not quite what you're after, but the Sioux Lookout mid-air (http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/1995/a95h0008/a95h0008.asp) offers some interesting insight on the width of the magenta line.

Young Paul
27th Feb 2012, 15:01
Are you writing a paper, or an article? If the latter, by all means gather together reports (if they exist). But if the former, it seems to be begging the question, assuming that there is significant evidence that GPS erodes situational awareness - assuming your "I learnt about flying from that" is a general problem. GPS is, as is hinted by one of the posters, a system that's substantially more reliable and accurate than most others. It doesn't absolve you from remembering that you are in an aeroplane - any more than normal law on an Airbus means you can ignore the fact that you've got 60+ tonnes of metal and plastic strapped to your bottom.

rapower
27th Feb 2012, 15:45
Try Transport Canada report A03F0114 re Convair 580 ferry to Pacific.

Shaft109
27th Feb 2012, 19:43
Search on here for the name Grant Chapman and send him a PM - he was a Cranfield Uni student researching this very subject and I participated in a study on it. The early drafts were very interesting.

Most of the pilots were PPL holders with about half very reliant on GPS, the other not so much.

RTO
28th Feb 2012, 17:05
I am writing a paper and was looking for some good articles on Over-Reliance of GPS in aviation. Does anybody know of any out there?

Thanks in advance
This type of question sounds like you are grasping for some facts to confirm your opinion, the process is supposed to be the other way around. But if you say you are writing a paper, I guess I'll believe that

Anotheravatar
1st Mar 2012, 03:46
The paradigm has changed to getting pilots off the controls. It's a workable premise based on bad hiring practices. If you employ idiots, then it makes sense to teach them the use of autopilots and the direct to function.

A few more horrible accidents where everyone wakes up to the lack of flying skill out there will change things. As usual more people will have to die before this becomes a reality, or all the planes will just be UAVs.

Island-Flyer
1st Mar 2012, 08:06
Most the pilots at my company have never used a GPS. Our aircraft are not outfit with the devil's navigation system. We build pilots with hair on their chest.