PDA

View Full Version : Ringing in the ears

CGOSA
21st Feb 2012, 12:40
Hello everyone!

Since I had a flu last year, I have a ringing in my ears. It s a high pitch noise, which I don't notice if there's enviromental noise but I do if I m in silence. I ve been a few times to the dr, I had an audiometry and also a head scan to check my sinuses...and the dr says that my ears and sinuses are clear and that I listen perfectly.

My concern is that I wanna be a cabincrew again, but I ve seen that in the pre-employment medical form, there s a question asking if u have a cracking or ringing in the ear? I do but apparently everything is fine.

Should this be a reason to reject my application? Or is this only for company information?

Thank you for reading.

Loose rivets
22nd Feb 2012, 03:14
Quite a lot on here about tinnitus. Do a search.

If you can hear okay, don't tell anyone. No point, there's still no treatment for the problem.

(unless anyone knows differently.)

It's a pain in the but, though you'll get used to it.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Feb 2012, 19:19
I wouldn't agree with not telling anyone. I've had tinnitus since I was about 3 and held a Class 1 medical for about 35 years so you'll probably be OK.

CGOSA
22nd Feb 2012, 20:53
I am now doing a search looking for threads on tinnitus, as suggested.
I hear perfectly and I only notice it if I pay attention, so It isn't very bad!
It puts my head in peace to know that Heathrow director had it and got his class 1 medical anyway!!

Thank you very much for your comments!

flufdriver
1st Mar 2012, 18:16
I suffer from Tinnitus, so does my AME and many friends and colleagues both male & female!
It is bothering me quite a bit and I would be willing to spend quite a bit of money to correct the problem, but there seems to be no cure!
I have a problem hearing what people are saying in group conversations unless I can focus on a particular speaker.
I do not like to have music playing when I'm trying to sleep, but now often have to do that to mask the ringing in my ears.

rmcb
1st Mar 2012, 23:10
I used to destroy parts of Wiltshire and even larger parts of Germany with FH-70 artillery pieces. I cringe to think of the times when ear defenders were more conveniently located on the bicep during firing.

Got my Class I. Lord knows how! There is no cure for tinnitus; wear the defenders, please! Also, get ANR headsets if possible.

stilton
2nd Mar 2012, 06:38
No one can tell so tell no one :ok:

Brie
4th Mar 2012, 02:52
Hi cgosa

Yes it is called tinnitus. I also have this, one day more than the other. But it can be freaky annoying. It is not a bad idea to see a doctor. There are many causes for that. It can be stress, high blood pressure, overactivity of the brain or just an ear problem and it is now to understand (and difficulty)what the exact cause it is. Then u can fight it.

Good luck

Jecui
22nd Mar 2012, 14:00
The way it was explained to me at my medical was that those questions are often asked just so the airline can have a record of any pre existing hearing damage or problems. That way, if you have any hearing issues later down the track, they can differentiate between problems you've previously had, and possible problems attributed to working for them.

I must say, since I started flying (and it's only been a month and a half) my tinnitus has been pretty atrocious when I'm in a quiet area, especially after first finishing a shift due to all the loud noise!

AOB9
22nd Mar 2012, 16:45
I've had it in the past so maybe I'm living proof that it can go away. I never failed a hearing test though which is quite amazing given that you would imagine the "ringing" would clash with the higher frequencies causing some confusion. These days I always wear ear protection in noisy environments and keep the music volume low. A small price to pay in order to reduce the risk of that dreaded noise coming back.

Jkvarma
4th Oct 2012, 12:10
Hi, Don't worry you will be fine, don't pay attention to the noise. Medical u will clear. Have confidence in you.

greatal
12th Dec 2015, 06:39
Hi everyone,

I had my tinnitus half a year ago, but am considering to pursue the airline pilot career path. But, I am afraid that the ringing can ultimately affect a daily operation as an airline pilot. So, I would like to ask how much does tinnitus affect your daily work as an airline pilot. Does it make your fatigue more frequently? Does it make you much harder to sleep? If so, how do you overcome it?

I hope this is not too much to ask for. But, I would be much appreciated your thoughts.

Thanks and have a good one!!

andy148
13th Dec 2015, 11:58
Hi Everyone,

I too suffer from excessive tinnitus.

Like rmcb i spent the majority of my youth blowing up parts of the UK (same cap badge but i ended up with a white cover on my hat), and i managed to get a class 2 medical.

My questions is more out of curiosity. From what i remember, If you require glasses to fly, you can hold a class 1 medical if you have a spare pair with you.

What is the ruling with hearing aids? Unfortunately i am now getting to the stage of needing to wear them more and more, with them on i have bat like hearing. If you can get a pass on your medical wearing glasses, why not with hearing aids?

For those that don't know the new generation of hearing aids are bluetooth compatible to various audio outlets, and a so small as to be virtually unnoticeable.

Thanks,

Andy

Parson
15th Dec 2015, 09:58
greatal - I am not sure if tinnitus in itself is an issue, but I understand that it may indicate some hearing loss has occurred. You have to either live with it, or....... That includes obviously everything you do, work, play, whatever.

andy148 - the hearing thresholds are based on not using a hearing aid. Once you have a Class One, the limits lower and if below those then a hearing test in an a/craft can be undertaken. I think hearing aids pick up additional noises that you wouldn't want to hear on the flight deck but technology may be moving on in that respect. A good quality ANR headset is probably better.

As with all things medical, get a Class One before pursing things too far. There is no need to 'volunteer' any problems unless you are specifically asked.

andy148
15th Dec 2015, 16:46
Parsons...

Thanks for the reply, I feared it may be the case.

I'm sorry to say i was 'that guy' who asked before bothering his arse to look for the info!

I did find this on the CAA website Otorhinolaryngology guidance material GM | UK Civil Aviation Authority (http://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Otorhinolaryngology/Otorhinolaryngology-guidance-material-GM/)

And it says for initial validation hearing aids are not usually acceptable, but afterwards as you say the standards drop.

Not very clear, but i guess I'll apply and see what they say! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks.

70 Mustang
27th Aug 2023, 16:59
On the left side. Never mentioned it to flight medical doctor and I still pass the hearing tests.

I sometimes wonder if the fact that my left side is more exposed to whatever radiation is out there after all those hours in the left seat, from the window heat and the ear plug headset that goes into the left ear.

Who knows?

blind pew
28th Aug 2023, 11:34
On the left side. Never mentioned it to flight medical doctor and I still pass the hearing tests.<br /><br />I sometimes wonder if the fact that my left side is more exposed to whatever radiation is out there after all those hours in the left seat, from the window heat and the ear plug headset that goes into the left ear.<br /><br />Who knows?<br />Me it’s right side..20 years RHS before brief command..audiogramme never a problem..<br />

ps face skin cancer right hand side too

70 Mustang
28th Aug 2023, 12:54
I cannot tolerate complete silence. I either have to have TV, music, or a fan running all the time, to which I add a white noise machine at night.

if i have no steady noise of some sort, I'm convinced I would go berserk. Which shouldn't be difficult since I'm already halfway there.

perhaps a result of hearing two engines of some sort, and in the past, props, running at all times?