PDA

View Full Version : Psychometric Testing

Heli-Jock
20th Feb 2012, 18:45
Hi Guys,
Anyone any experience in Psychometric testing? Ive been asked to go to one of the North Sea Operators for a test and interview. Im usually well prepared for anything but don't know where to start looking for information, past papers, some schooling, beforehand to help me get thru the test. :ugh::eek:
Any help would be appreciated.

j

Gordy
20th Feb 2012, 18:57
I think you just failed..... lol

Click Here (http://bit.ly/yoXdY6)

SASless
20th Feb 2012, 19:42
Remember the days when the Chief Pilot did the hiring?

You showed up with your License, Logbook, and he talked with you a bit...perhaps took you up in a helicopter...and then either sent you down the hallway to Payroll or out the door.

John R81
20th Feb 2012, 20:38
Only got tested once.

I did ok until the "jelly baby" question. You know, draws conclusion based on whether you bite the head or feet first.

Anyway, question: What part of a jelly baby do you eat first?

My answer: The eyes! I can't stand them looking at me.

Failed :}:}:}

RMK
20th Feb 2012, 21:33
I don’t work it this area, but have seen their use in the The City and Wall Street (having taken some of these myself). I was a psychology minor in university, so have an understanding of how the tests are composed and their weaknesses. If the test is administered by and then followed with an interview with a trained psychologist they can yield some useful info. For most other occupations, they’ve had some consultant “put something together” for them that will deciphered by persons not really understanding what they’re doing.

Some general points:

It’s a joke that these tests would be wholly useful in finding ideal pilots. At best, they’ll attempt to identify traits that they distinctly do & don’t want in pilots. So for example, you don’t want to been identified as impulsive, risk taking, etc.

A common test is the “Myers-Briggs Personality Type” test. It will put you into 1 of 16 different personality types that are noted by 4 letters each having two variables. Google it; I assume type “ENTJ” will be one of the best suited for being a pilot.

The tests will ask similar queries in differing manners to try weed out any inconsistencies. Even tests such as polygraph tests, can easily be defeated if you fully understand how they are testing. However, these tests are specifically designed to catch out persons trying to rig the outcome, so be careful.

Ask some of the pro pilots on here what they distinctly seek and avoid in pilot candidates and answer your test queries “being that person”.

One good example re listening and working with others: In one of my first big interview processes, in my twenties; I’m seated at a table with five other people who are the final group that started with over 200 candidates. The interviewer goes around the table and asks each person to tell where they’re from, school attended, etc. He then points directly at me and asks (quickly changing and pointing across table to another person) “what city did John say he is from?” This caught out 4 of the 6 people because they didn’t even listen to the other people – it was all about their own story.

Good luck

SunderlandMatt
20th Feb 2012, 21:45
Gordy,

That Google thing is brilliant! Absolute genius! :D

SM.

SunderlandMatt
20th Feb 2012, 21:52
Oh and Heli-Jock,

It's been over a decade since. Did mine but if you can fly now, I can't imagine a North Sea operator would be too wrapped around the axle about these things. I've seen plenty of people who passed military aptitude tests hit capacity within days of starting the pilots course!

The best way to assess someone is to fly with them (AAC does it that way). There are quite a few different types of test, I know quite a few of the FW airlines use Compass. Other than that its just metal arithmetic and MDR.

Good luck and send them my way when you're done will you ;)

flyingscotty
20th Feb 2012, 22:11
Heli - Jock

The best way to complete pyscometric tests is to purely answer each question without thinking too long about your answer. When these tests beagan to be used it was supposed to be a tool to aid in the candidate selection process, however HR depts seem to use them as the main criteria which is utter nonsense.

I would not place too much on these tests, just do your best, if the employer is worth their salt they will be much more interested in how the individual presents themselves at the interview and they will soon decide if your character / persona is for their operation, plus possibly a check flight .

So as i say just be yourself and give it your best, and if you are not successful, its their loss........................ always keep a positive attitude.

farsouth
20th Feb 2012, 22:25
if the employer is worth their salt they will be much more interested in how the individual presents themselves at the interview and they will soon decide if your character / persona is for their operation

I have heard it said of CHC that they are absolutely rigid over their use of these type of tests, and that even if a candidate interviews well and has all the licences/types/experience that they are looking for, a fail in the psychometric tests will overrule all else.
Can anyone confirm that this is true (or maybe it was sour grapes from a candidate who was rejected........)

Gordy
20th Feb 2012, 22:32
I will go out on a limb for the purpose of us gaining an insight into the information that can be gleaned from this sort of testing.

Last year I did this testing, basically to get a profile on myself. It took about 2 hours, and consisted of a series of multiple choice questions to determine my intellectual level, a series of math and logic questions, followed by the main portions which was a series of posed statements where I answered on a scale of 1 thru 10 as to how much I agreed with the statements.

I was given a copy of the report, primarily because I had a friend who worked in HR for this corporation. It was for a manager position at a large retail chain store, so obviously their "matrix" is not suited for helicopter pilots. This will give you a idea of the type of information the interviewers will have when they talk to you.

Please feel free to tease and rib me about some of my "attributes"......:eek: I am sure I will never hear the end of some of it.....

Executive Summary Narrative

Overall, Gordy is "Recommended With Qualifications" for the position of Store Manager - Future Opportunities at Acme Sales Company. This recommendation is derived from the detail comparison of his behavioral characteristics with those of the Ideal Profile and the following resulting evaluations of his behavioral competencies:

• Intellect -- Solid Match
• Drive and Motivation -- Fair Match
• Work Style -- Unsatisfactory
• Interpersonal Style -- Solid Match
• Leadership / Management Style -- Fair Match
• Culture Fit -- Solid Match

The subsequent paragraphs provide details that support Gordy's overall "Recommended With Qualifications" rating and offer additional insights into Gordy's behavioral characteristics.

Strengths
Gordy has specific characteristics that match those required for the position. Gordy is able to balance in-depth analyses and the "big picture" when investigating issues. His approach to problem-solving varies based on the situation. Gordy has a moderate preference for teamwork. He is comfortable working in a group or on his own. Gordy prefers an average amount of social interaction. He can be outgoing but does not always need to talk to others. All these characteristics are in line with the position's requirements.

Opportunities
Gordy also has specific characteristics that do not align with those who are successful in this position. Gordy prefers to start immediately on tasks and organize only when necessary. However, success in this position may require him to organize prior to starting tasks. Gordy naturally prefers to work without guidance from others as he is very self-reliant. However, at times, to be successful in this position he must wait for direction before taking action. Gordy is comfortable with disagreement and may be uncooperative at times. However to be successful in this position he must encourage and assist others at times.

Notable Characteristics
Gordy exhibits additional characteristics worth noting. He strongly prefers to work without external direction and almost never relies on others to complete his tasks. Gordy is very comfortable challenging authority and may have a hard time following established rules. In addition, he is very competitive and fiercely defends his position, therefore he may be seen as "cold." These are the characteristics about Gordy that stand out and are worth noting.

Conclusion
In conclusion, Gordy is "Recommended With Qualifications" for this position. Some of Gordy's behavioral characteristics differ from those in the Ideal Profile, resulting in qualifications to his recommendation. Carefully review the mismatched characteristics as presented throughout this assessment as you evaluate him for this position. This recommendation should be considered as one aspect of the complete hiring equation. Use the information above as a guideline when evaluating Gordy for this position. Additionally, you should carefully take into consideration Gordy's experience (interview, resume), your interview assessment (see Interview Questions tab), references, and background checks when compiling your total assessment of Gordy.

Attributes
Motivated By:
• Relying completely on himself
• Adventurous activities and tasks
• Sharing his opinions with others
• Constant activity in the workplace
• Adjusting his plans at work
• Opportunities for career growth
• Directing and influencing others
• Holding others' accountable for their work

Wants an Environment Which Provides:
• New and unique approaches to work
• Opportunities to compete with others
• An unstructured work setting
• A fast pace
• A playful or casual atmosphere
• A high rate of change
• Little or no social activities

Tends To Avoid:
• Evaluating his past experiences and mistakes
• Guidance from authority figures
• Reassuring and encouraging others
• Understanding others' motivations
• Organizing and prioritizing his work
• Obvious approaches to problems
• Working with details
• Taking action based solely on the facts
• Making decisions without others' opinions
• Giving positive feedback to others

Management May Increase His Effectiveness By:
• Rewarding cooperation with others
• Offering opportunities to build self-confidence
• Providing support during stressful situations
• Coaching him on how to work in unstructured situations
• Helping him to be more open to praise and recognition
• Reminding him to approach situations in a step-by-step manner
• Outlining when it is necessary to follow a plan
• Ensuring that work is completed before participating in social events

May Become Demotivated By:
• Having to depend on others
• The inability to take risks
• The inability to assert his views
• A lack of tasks or activities
• A lack of variety in his work
• No opportunity for promotion
• Little opportunity to lead others
• Lenient responses to others' mistakes

May React to Pressure By:
• Refusing to seek guidance from others
• Making risky decisions
• Repeating past mistakes
• Resisting direction from others
• Being disagreeable with others
• Speaking his mind and attempting to talk over others
• Being unable to develop and motivate others
• Not prioritizing or keeping orderly records
• Suggesting unusable ideas
• Being impatient with others who have less energy

Interview Questions

Must-Ask: #1 Self-Reliance

Important Issue:
Gordy naturally prefers to work without guidance from others as he is very self-reliant. However, at times, to be successful in this position he must wait for direction before taking action.

Questions To Ask Candidate and Insights:
"When managing a retail store, do you prefer to have a lot of guidance and direction from the head office or do you prefer to have the freedom to act on your own and take responsibility for your actions? Please explain."

• Gordy's behavioral profile indicates that he enjoys independence and he may not always seek input from others before making a decision. Gordy may also resent being micromanaged.
"Tell me about a management experience where you were given a great deal of freedom to make decisions. Tell me about a management experience where you felt you were being micromanaged or you felt you had little control to act on your own. Which situation did you prefer or feel more comfortable with?
Please explain."

• Gordy prefers to think on his own and he will not always listen to the opinions of others. He may become frustrated if he is instructed to rely on others.
"Describe a situation where you had to develop your own marketing strategy for promoting your store within your community. Did you feel comfortable developing the marketing plan on your own or would have preferred to have more guidance from the head office? Please explain."

• Gordy is very self-reliant. As a manager, he may be reluctant to delegate work to his direct reports. As a result, this may cause him to "burn out" as he tries to do too much on his own.
"Tell me about a time when you were overwhelmed by competing demands on your time. How did you handle the situation? Did you ask anyone for help? Did you delegate some of the work to your staff?"

During the Interview:

• Gauge Gordy's willingness to listen to suggestions from his staff. Do you get a sense that Gordy will move forward on issues without listening to others first?

• Monitor the intensity of Gordy's self-reliant behavior. Try to determine if he will try to do too much and not delegate tasks to the other staff members at his store.

When Doing Reference Checks:

• "As a manager, did Gordy achieve his store's sales and revenue targets with little supervision? Did he tend to seek input from others when making decisions or did he prefer to rely on his own thoughts about how things should be done? How would you rate Gordy's overall effectiveness as a manager?"

• "Did Gordy ever display an attitude of superiority to his management colleagues? How did his peers and staff respond to him? Did his staff ever complain that Gordy didn't listen to their suggestions?"

Must-Ask: #2 Cooperativeness

Important Issue:
Gordy is comfortable with disagreement and may be uncooperative at times. However to be successful in this position he must encourage and assist others at times.

"Give me an example of how you encouraged cooperation among your employees. In your view, do you think people work better when they work independently or in a group? Please explain."

• As a store manager, Gordy may have difficulty mentoring or coaching his staff. At times, he may be focused more on his own success than on the success of his staff members.
"Give me an example of a time when you witnessed one of your sales associates struggling to complete a task, such as finding the price of an item for a customer. Why was your associate struggling? How did you respond? What was the outcome?"

• Gordy's staff may perceive him to be cold and uncaring. As such, it might not be easy for Gordy to have cooperation among his staff or build team spirit.
"Give me an example of a time you praised your direct reports for a job well done. How did you praise them? How important is it for a retail manager to give positive feedback to his or her staff?"

• Gordy is competitive by nature and he cares deeply about his own goals and success.
"Tell me about a time when your ideas were overlooked and another store manager's suggestions were implemented by the head office. How did you respond? How did your management colleagues deal with your response? What was the outcome?"

During the Interview:

• Gauge Gordy's ability to assist his direct reports and meet their needs for praise and reassurance. Will Gordy be a good coach or mentor?

• Gauge Gordy's warmth and friendliness towards his staff and customers in the store. Does he have a tendency to get defensive? If so, what types of issues or comments make him defensive?

• "Was Gordy perceived as someone that his sales associates could come to if they needed help completing a task? How often did Gordy give praise or recognition to his staff members?"

• "Did Gordy seem to have a strong desire to succeed or win over others? Did Gordy ever come across as "cold" or "detached"? Do you think Gordy can succeed in a less competitive environment where competition is not rewarded? Explain."

Must-Ask: #3 Assertiveness

Important Issue:

Gordy is more than willing to voice his viewpoint and take charge of situations. However, success in this role will require him to let others assert their views at times.

"Did you ever have to step up and take charge of a situation at a store? Did you enjoy taking charge? Was it easy for you to give direction or would you have preferred to let others take charge and assert their views? Explain."

• Gordy's profile indicates that he may be an overly assertive manager.
"Recall a situation when you observed a customer complaining to one of your employees. Briefly describe the situation. Did you intervene? And if so, how did you address the situation? Did the staff member appreciate your assistance? How did the customer respond to your intervention?"

• As a retail manager, Gordy is comfortable giving direction to staff and asserting his views. However, at times, he may be overbearing and not willing to listen to the views of others.
"Tell me about a time when someone from the head office opposed your ideas for a new plan, such as a new sales strategy for the store. How did you handle their opposition? Have you ever realized that you misjudged a situation and that you were, in fact, wrong? How did you handle being wrong?"

• Gordy may at times be too assertive as a store manager. His tendency to dominate situations may result in poor staff morale.
"Describe a situation where you had to decide whether to accept input from your boss or proceed with your own ideas. What did you do? What was the outcome? What impact did your choice have on your working relationship with your boss?"

During the Interview:

• Listen to how Gordy describes himself and his relationships with his staff and managerial colleagues. Does he recognize the importance of letting other people speak out on issues? Does he value others' opinions?

• During the interview, observe Gordy's ability to be considerate of others. Does he come across as being too assertive? Will his staff members resent working with Gordy because he might be too controlling?

• "Did Gordy speak his mind and share his opinions on issues with staff and colleagues? How was Gordy viewed by his coworkers? Was he seen as a "know it all"?"
• "When conducting meetings or interviewing candidates, did Gordy strike a good balance between listening and speaking? How often did he seek input from staff? Did staff ever complain that he was too controlling?"

Must-Ask: #4 Ambition

Important Issue:
Gordy is motivated to "climb the ladder of success" and reach his goals. However, success in this role will require him to be content with less opportunity for career advancement.

"In your previous retail jobs, did you try to move up in the organization and get a better job, or were you generally content to stay in the job you had? How important is it to you to get a better job within the same company? Please explain."

• Gordy's behavioral profile indicates that he is ambitious. He will likely be willing to take on more responsibilities to do well in his career. However, he may feel frustrated working in a retail store if opportunities for advancement are not immediately available.
"Describe a situation when another person was given a promotion or made the retail manager at your store when you thought you should have been selected for that job. How did you feel about not getting the job? How did you respond to the situation? Was there anything that you learned from the experience?"

• Gordy may be unhappy if he does not achieve an important position in the company. He is driven to succeed and he wants to "climb the ladder of success". If he has ideas for improving customer care or inventory control, he will work hard to see that his ideas are put in place.
"Tell me about a time when you wanted to hire more staff to improve customer service and to improve sales, but your company had a hiring freeze. How did that make you feel? Do you become frustrated when headquarters doesn't recognize what you need to do to make your store successful?"

• Gordy is motivated to succeed and advance at work. However, he may overlook important aspects of his own and others' development.
"Give me an example of a time when you coached a staff member and worked on their development as an employee. Tell me about a time when you reprimanded an employee for not working as hard as they should. Briefly describe the situation and how you dealt with it. How did the employee respond?"

During the Interview:

• Gauge Gordy's drive and ambition as he describes his previous jobs. Do you think his desire to be a successful retail manager might lead him to make decisions that benefit him personally, but are not good for his direct reports? Do you think he will listen to suggestions from his staff?

• Gauge Gordy's attitude toward other managers who are not as ambitious as he is. Will he take the time to help his staff members grow as employees, or do you think Gordy will focus only on his own career?

• "As a retail manager, was Gordy ambitious? Did Gordy ever sign up for additional training to improve his chances of getting a better job? Did you ever worry that Gordy was working too hard and becoming exhausted by the long hours that are required in the retail environment? Did Gordy ever seem frustrated that he wasn't climbing the "ladder of success" as fast as he wanted?"

• "Did Gordy spend time coaching his staff and focusing on their development, or did he focus primarily on his own development? When working towards his own goals, did he ever overlook the needs of others?"

On-boarding Report for Gordy

About Gordy

On the job look for Gordy to:
• Consistently complete tasks without assistance from others
• Thrive in situations that require him to bring tasks to completion
• Seek to improve existing processes
• Attempt to create and introduce new policies and procedures
• Be highly motivated during times of risk and uncertainty
• Enjoy stepping outside of his "comfort zone"

Onboarding Activities
Training - During training, expect Gordy to take responsibility for his own learning and to seek opportunities to try new training methods. Also, be aware that Gordy often takes unnecessary risks when performing new activities and often fails to consider the future. The instructor may benefit by making sure he fully understands the need to observe the required safety measures and explaining how well thought-out solutions are helpful.

Tasks - When taking on new tasks, look for Gordy to strive to be self-reliant and to find new ways to achieve results. Be aware that Gordy may take unnecessary risks when rewards are involved and tends to overlook obvious issues that will impact results. When giving Gordy new tasks, be sure to clearly define situations where risks may be taken and to specify issues that need careful investigation.

Time Management - When Gordy manages his time, expect him to save time by relying on his judgment to take action and to readily alter plans to try new time-saving ideas. Consider that Gordy may fail to complete goals on time by taking unnecessary risks and may frequently encounter roadblocks by not considering the future. You may help Gordy by outlining situations where risks should be avoided and by instructing him to consider the impact of his actions on long-term goals.

Teams - When working on a team, expect Gordy to begin working without being told what to do and to support non-traditional work approaches. Consider that Gordy may take unnecessary risks for the sake of adventure and tends to undervalue his past experiences when making decisions. When placing Gordy on a team help him to make sure risk is kept to a minimum and to use previous experience to guide his actions.

Supervisor - When working with his supervisor, expect Gordy to be extremely self-sufficient and to enjoy coming up with new strategies. Recognize that Gordy may choose to take risks over actions that usually work and may overlook long-term outcomes of decisions. You may improve his onboarding experience by teaching him to raise concerns when a situation becomes too risky and by instructing him to consider how his actions may affect him in the future.

SASless
20th Feb 2012, 23:00
Was not CHC the first Helicopter Operator to start using this method of testing?

I have heard they put quite a bit of emphasis upon the results.....along with a lot of other non-flattering comments about their HR Bureaucracy.

Shawn Coyle
20th Feb 2012, 23:05
In a moment of low bank balance, I interviewed with a large outfit in Holland for a job in Nigeria flying SA-365s. Highlight of the process was an interview with their psychiatrist. The lady who drove me to the office said that the company put great faith in what these folks said - they'd had to send three pilots down to Nigeria not long before, and the psychiatrists said 'don't send those three', but they were the only ones they had available. None of them lasted a month.
I must have passed the ink-blot test, and the 'draw a picture of a naked woman' test as they did offer me the position. I eventually declined for other reasons.

Ant T
20th Feb 2012, 23:08
Very interesting Gordy, and very open of you to share it with us. It seems an amazingly detailed assessment to be made from a couple of hours of written answers. Without wanting to put you on the spot, do you think it was a fair assessment?

I worked for the British Antarctic Survey for 12 years The job involves living in a very isolated community where personality types need to fit in well. I never wintered, but for winterers there is no way out for 6 or 8 months a year (depending on which base you are at). Winterers do either 18 months or 30 months without a break. Their recruitment was (and still is, I think) based on face to face interviews by people who have "been there/done that" and they use no formal psychological testing/psychometric testing.
Virtually all other nations operating in the Antarctic do use such testing. While I was there, a guy was doing some research at various national bases, to compare the results of different types of tests - he came to us, to use as a control. I never did hear the results, but would say that in the whole time I was there, I only saw a very small number of people who really shouldn't have been selected.
I guess I am a bit dubious about how much use these kind of tests really are, but maybe someone can comment in support of them who has seen them giving useful resultsd.

Gordy
20th Feb 2012, 23:11
Without wanting to put you on the spot, do you think it was a fair assessment?

The whole thing is pretty much spot on......to the point of wondering how they figured some of it out---I thought I hid it pretty well..... :cool::cool:

farsouth
20th Feb 2012, 23:21
SAS - along with a lot of other non-flattering comments about their HR Bureaucracy

I lost all belief in that department (at another company not far from CHC) when they went from being "Personnel" - who actually did seem to know who you were and take some interest in your dealings with them,
to being "Human Resources", getting involved with the "Investors in People" scheme (which for those outside UK, is some kind of accreditation scheme that sounds wonderful but in reality has nothing to do with treating your employees with any respect or support), and putting up signs on each of their office doors saying "Joanna Bloggs - Human Resources Business Partner". What the hell is that supposed to mean. Why can we not just have Employers and Employees. From the day they became Human Resources Business Partners, I don't think I ever knew one of them, nor did they answer one of the letters/emails I sent them over a particular issue

Epiphany
21st Feb 2012, 00:53
Having done quite a few of these things from psych interviews, ink blots and WOMBAT tests to multi-choice questions (all of which I somehow passed), I think the best guarantee of success is to do your research, tell them what they want to hear, don't mention the bad bits (we all have them) and be consistent.

These days operators are looking for someone who 'fits in' is not a one man band, has good CRM skills and follows rules and procedures.

I still think that the best way of selecting pilots is to put them in an unfamiliar aircraft or simulator with someone they have never flown with before, give him/her a problem and watch what happens.

SASless
21st Feb 2012, 01:30
The FBI uses similar testing for prospective Agents....as they wanted folks to be good followers....who would obey the rules....not challenge Management....and basically toe the company line. Remember JEdgar...and his penchant for instant total obedience?

Read a Book called "No Left Turns".....it is an eye opener on what that kind of management environment can lead to.

The system can always be finessed....by those who are smarter than the system and its operators.

Elephantine was one of those guys!

I guess if you are running an offshore operation....needing strict standardization....every thing is routine....crews swap around like good quality mass produced parts....then this psychobabble crap might work.

Put a guy out on his own....in the middle of nowhere....with a varied tasking....no management support or interference....spartan conditions....and having to live with the customer like Man and Wife almost.....and I would not think the same kind of personality would get the job done.

That is the fallacy of relying upon such testing to the exclusion of anything else more along the lines of conventional thinking. Anyone can interview well....but be a complete disaster later on.

Being able to use CRM, knowing your trade, and having good judgement does allow for a very wide range of personalities....does the psychometrics allow for that or do they demand way too narrow an array?

obnoxio f*ckwit
21st Feb 2012, 08:46
I thoroughly enjoyed the psychometric morning at CHC, it was quite fun, and the Norwegian chap running it (John Lars?) was bonkers. I shall probably never forget the tapping pencils!

Up down left left right anyone?

jonnyloove
21st Feb 2012, 09:43
Good luck with your test..
Any proper Dr of the head will tell you that the psychometric testing is a load of rubbish the human mind and the many different characters well all have make it too hard to categories us all even pilots and aircrew.

The tests the Mr Lars peddles are a money making scheme that he is very good at selling to H.R.

You can prepare for most parts of the test apart from two them being the:

''UP UP LEFT BLUE AND THE DOWN DOWN RED'' done at increased speed.

And the tapping test at the end.

This link will take you to a useful webpage set up by a pilot who has gone through the system makes good reading.

Test and Interview (http://www.madman.dk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=61)

Also if you can get on to amazon and purchase some mechanical comprehension and spatial awareness books and get the nose in the books. If you know some one in education ask them to get hold of J.C raven advanced progressive matrices book and use that as well.

CHC, CHC Ireland and Bristow's Norway use these tests. The other aviation company's see them for what they are.

If you fail the test it is almost impossible to get a retest unless you where very close to the overall mark of between 2 to 9 using the Stain's scale. I believe the basic pass for pilot is 6 on the scale.

What ever happens on your test day do NOT hold any weight as to what the Norwegian says as thats his opinion he is a very polite man but pompous all the same and believes his own propaganda.

If you wish to know anymore p.m me.

Good Luck again.

griffothefog
21st Feb 2012, 11:30
You have to be bonkers to be a heli pilot anyway, so Ive no idea why companies insist on proving the point. :ugh:

Ive been in the business for 35 years, am a team player, have no suicidal tendencies and have a fairly clean record of safe operating, so when I failed my test with Schreiner about 15 years ago, I chuckled, made my escape back home and instantly forgot about :{

I reckon I can pick a keeper and team player over a quiet chat and a coffee far more accurately than some psycho babble, and when I fly with somebody for half an hour, Ive rarely got it wrong..:=

By the way, you know that bit where they open a series of pages with what looks like a blurred butterfly on both sheets.... What the hell were they? All i could see when I was asked was vagina and cervix..... :ok:

Epiphany
21st Feb 2012, 11:48
Yes Griffo, the Schreiner Rauschach ink blot test. Fortunately I googled it beforehand and was told what to say but you are right - everyone of them looks like female genitalia - or as far as I remember.

What amused me is when the psychologist looked at me and asked in all seriousness "Have you ever thought of killing yourself or anyone else?" I was tempted to ask if it would affect my chances of employment if I said "Yes".

I passed the Schreiner tests but when I look back I sincerely doubt my sanity at the time because I went through it all to get a job in Nigeria.

SASless
21st Feb 2012, 12:24
When the guy suggested I had a weakness for pornography.....he got mad as hell when I suggested he was the one showing it to me and I was only looking at it....and he was the one that owned the stuff.

I would have failed the test if thinking of killing someone was a pass/fail issue....two tours in Vietnam and seven years as a Police Officer certainly provides for that train of thought now and then.

I would think "controlling the action" and not just having the thought would be more important. Do they ask you if you have in fact killed someone?

Also...I reckon if you are there for the interview....they can figure out on their own you have not killed your own self.

EN48
21st Feb 2012, 12:51
everyone of them looks like female genitalia - or as far as I remember.

Spoken like a helicopter pilot! You make us proud! :E

Winnie
21st Feb 2012, 19:27
A friend of mine did them in Norway...

Mr. Lars asked him if he found his own mother "sek-sually attractive"...

Apparently the tests are virtually copies if not literal copies of what the RNoAF uses for selection to their pilot training.

He (both psychologists) claim that the test will tell wether you are suited to be a pilot or not, "And they are very good at what they do"...

I am inclined to agree with previous posters that it is a great scheme to get money from the companies that use them.

Cheers
W.

Heli-Jock
21st Feb 2012, 20:35
Thanks Flyingscotty and wilco! :ok:

Torcher
22nd Feb 2012, 18:43
Just to clear up some of the bull recently posted in this thead ...

CHC (Norway) screening process involves the following:

1. Written theoretical tests. The link below being pretty much in the ballpark.
Test and Interview (http://www.madman.dk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=61)

2. Interview with a psycologist, that also administers the tests listed in link above. No Psycometric personality testing whatsoever.

3. Trip to the local MD for a basic check.

4. Simulator flying skills test. Basic 2 hour full flight simulator slot, involving basic airwork and instrument maneuvers. Conducted by senior company instructor pilots. (Replaces chief pilot trip in the aircraft)

5. Panel interview. Panel consists of members of company management, chief pilot, and pilots union rep.

Thats it. No hocus pocus or naked butterflies...

Torcher

alpenjunge
22nd Feb 2012, 19:20
@Torcher:

What΄s the content of the written theoretical test?

Alp

SASless
22nd Feb 2012, 19:21
Is this like an initiation test of some sort (referring to the linked testing scheme)....to see if the candidate will put up with a load of horse hit to prove they really...really...really want the job?

What about treating the individual like the "Professional" they have proven themselves to be by achieving the level of expertise demonstrated by their Licenses, Logbook, Medical Certification, Education and Resume' content?

If it was a young Whipper Snapper with a fresh CPL/IF right out of a training school perhaps....but what about the well experienced older candidate who might very well have had a career in the Military or perhaps a well experienced proven Professional?

It sounds like HR crap to me........and I am sure it would have weeded me out in short order....long before I got to the pencil tapping.

Don't the folks in Scandinavia have a higher Suicide rate than most other Europeans?

How did this testing become a part of the Interview process...whose the person(s) that made that decision and what was the basis for that I wonder?

Do all CHC Employees have to go through this testing or just the Pilots?

The majority of the Helicopter Industry is far too transient for such a system to work Industry wide and I believe the majority of the Industry is smart enough to know that.

If it is weeding out of potentially bad employees...the Interview, Sim Ride, and Background Check should pretty well take care of it. All the Pencil Tapping in the World will not be as effective as a two hour Sim ride in determining the fitness of the candidate for the job he is being considered for.

ShyTorque
22nd Feb 2012, 20:40
I'm worried now, having read all this criticism.

Some years ago I was required to undergo psychometric testing....

..........and out of 200 applicants, I got the job. :O

SASless
22nd Feb 2012, 22:00
"The State rests its case Your Honour!";)

Were you the only one that sat through the entire process by chance?:E

Pandalet
23rd Feb 2012, 08:25
Drat, I've just got a job based (in part) on a similar evaluation...I'm starting to wonder, too!

I'm not looney, I'm not looney...the voices promised I wasn't!

ShyTorque
23rd Feb 2012, 09:45
"The State rests its case Your Honour!"
Were you the only one that sat through the entire process by chance?

Yes, the rest of them fled when the "psychiatrist" put his rubber gloves on and said "Bend over".

I only applied for the job of the janitor; I suppose they really should've checked to see if I had a pilot's licence. Never mind, so far I seem to be picking up the job as I go along.

SASless
23rd Feb 2012, 11:37
My favorite flying job was for an outfit that was called "Hum and Fake It Air"....by our passengers and owner. Stemmed from a reply to a nervous flyer when on a very stark clear day during a flight from Portland, Oregon to a big Ranch in British Columbia/Yukon Territories somewhere up North. No maps in hand...Pilots lazily gazing out the Perspex admiring the view of all the snow covered mountains....and the silly fellow getting all worried about how the guys knew where they were...and how to find where they were going.

The Pilot....actually the Chief Pilot....turned to him finally after being asked the third time about the maps and such....."Oh....we don't really....but sooner or later we will see something we recognize...until then...we just Hum and Fake It!"

I don't reckon all this fancy psycho measuring would work for an outfit with such an attitude towards operations and passengers.....far to human for all that psycho babble I am sure.

Colibri49
23rd Feb 2012, 12:07
Several years ago I approached CHC with a view to transferring to them as an "instant captain", having survived a few decades in command on North Sea operations and having fooled our training establishment countless times that I'm just barely up to the required standard.

My only reason for wanting to jump ship then was because it seemed as though my employer might be looking to give a few of us the chop, due to our advanced senility and dribbling incontinence ( not to mention that we were all on top-scale salaries). Fortunately the law of the land changed and my employer is still saddled with us.

The very nice man at CHC was looking for pilots with experience on the "right" type of helicopter at that time and suggested that I might have been given command a few months after joining. He also implied that it might not be necessary to go through the interview and tests with their resident trickcyclist.

Fortunately none of this came to pass, because I'm certain that I would have been assessed as hopelessly unsuitable to be employed in their workforce of psychologically well-balanced and well-accomplished pilots. My decades of professional flying, including a decade in the military, would have counted for little and if I was very lucky he might have recommended that I consider a career in HR.

If this pschological hocus pocus is so necessary to weed out those hopelessly unbalanced candidates like me, why does my employer not see fit also to employ one of these psycho-magicians and why does my employer still rely on the tried and trusted interview panel of senior trainers/manager pilots who depend only on their gut-feelings and experience?

Phrases like "bull**** baffles brains" and "if you believe that, you'll believe anything" come to mind. No amount of attempted persuasion is going to convince me that exposing a pilot candidate's sexual peccadilloes is going to indicate his/her suitability for the job.

BladeChica
22nd Sep 2012, 15:52
hi everybody,
I'm new-bee. especially when it comes to testing. never had an interview so far but I'll have one soon in aberdeen. can someone give me an advice. what is bristow testing and what CHC. does anybody 've been there lately. what is the best way to prepare?

for any help (pm), grateful

sue