PDA

View Full Version : Midair R22-airplane, lucky guys...

Aser
20th Feb 2012, 18:38
Lucky to be alive: 2 survive midair collision - CNN.com (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/20/us/california-midair-collision/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn)

(CNN) -- Two pilots in northern California were lucky to be alive Monday after they escaped a midair collision without serious injuries.
A helicopter clipped a small plane in the skies over northern California on Sunday evening, sending both crashing to the ground, CNN affiliate KCRA reported, citing the Sacramento County Sheriff's Office.
The collision snapped off the helicopter's tail, but firefighters found the pilot sitting in the car of a driver who had stopped to help, the station said.
"She was a little shaken up, but she was completely with it," said Capt. Brandon Wilson of the Rio Vista Fire Department. "Initially, she didn't want to go to the hospital.
"The person that was flying it was very lucky -- very lucky -- to walk away pretty much uninjured."
The helicopter, a Robinson R22, went down about eight miles south of the Rio Vista Airport, between San Francisco and Sacramento. It collided with a single-engine Beechcraft Bonanza, which landed near Byron Airport, some 20 miles to the south, said Ian Gregor of the Federal Aviation Administration.
Footage of the helicopter showed it resting in a field. KCRA said its severed tail rotor landed about 50 feet away from the fuselage.
The plane's pilot was not injured.
"Absolutely a best-case scenario, very lucky for everybody involved," Wilson said.

:D

mhale71
20th Feb 2012, 22:55
Definately interested to see some simulation/dramatisation of that... seems very lucky to survive both an impact and a severed tail landing..

MartinCh
21st Feb 2012, 06:03
'Clipping' the airplane by helicopter suggests the R22 crashing INTO the fixed wing. Unless it was in autorotation or steep descent, I can't imagine getting ONLY tailrotor hit/damaged. Except some low level or photo ops, I'd presume the heli had reasonable forward airspeed, thus impacting anything 'head on'.

I'd expect really messy mid-air with MR failing after impact on other aircraft or slicing tail or bubble, so very lucky indeed. We'll see more details and I, for one, am interested to know more. I just believe it's not the heli impacting airplane, but rather the other way round. The fixed-wingers (and I do fly solid wings, too) have reduced vis from cabin, regardless of high or low wing and something similar to the mid-air over Hudson may have happened, with airplane descending to heli.

Doesn't 'TR landing 50ft away' sound weird if the midair happened higher up and the heli pilot successfully autoed to clear area? Unles it was 180/360/turning auto. Maybe they were relatively low over an area of interest.

Anyway, good job on getting it down. In that case, drilling autos saved one's life, slamming the lever and taking it down in one piece whatever remained from it.

fly911
21st Feb 2012, 09:45
"Less than 50' away?" I'm thinking the tailboom may have came off on ground impact.

o4fCVYD59f0

fluffy5
21st Feb 2012, 15:35
In a R22, with the tail boom seperated in flight, there is noooo way. the helicopter will be surviable, so much fat in the forward section........ big impact. Cut the tail off in the flare.... or broke off on impact.
Anyone wishes to disagree about a whole tail boom dismeberment inflight and be surviable while plummetting to the earth.....
But all said very lucky, and good to see both parties were alive and well.

Fluffy 5