PDA

View Full Version : MD11 vs 744/777 etc

falcon10
20th Feb 2012, 02:47
How does the MD11 compare to the 744/777 in terms of avionics, automation, and ease of use etc? Is the FMC more similar to Airbus methodology or Boeing and how easy/hard is to transition from the MD to a Boeing/Airbus?

Reason I ask is someone tried to say they have many failures by guys going from the MD to a 777 etc, which sounds like rubbish to me.

JeremiahWeed.F15
20th Feb 2012, 04:19
I think I would agree with the "rubbish". I have not heard of issues with our MD drivers going to the 777. If there are isolated cases, I don't think I would link them to their previous time on the MD-11 - more like a skill issue with that individual.

I have not flown the 777/747 but the feedback I've heard from those moving to the 777 is that it's easier to fly. Systems are good but automation is not up to the same level as the MD-11.

I found my A320 time helped me with the transition to the -11. FMS on both aircraft was very similar and automation level was comparable.

Burger Thing
20th Feb 2012, 04:41
Ex-MD-11 Driver, now on the Airbus. Transition to the Airbus was not too difficult. FMS is very similar. Automation and Flight Guidance is better on the MD-11, IMHO.

Despite the aerodynamically challenging design, the MD-11 has probably one of the best Flight Decks you can find.

yankeeclipper747
21st Feb 2012, 16:36
As an ex MD-11 driver and current 744 Captain, the 744 is easier. They both have the same Honeywell FMS and the glass/EICAS displays are almost identical. They have different software programs. The MD-11 has more functions, some I miss but is more difficult and not as user friendly as the 744. The MD-11 had the industry's highest first time failure rate for years after it came online due to it's complexity and the FAA's inexperience on glass cockpit fully integrated systems technology and Douglas' famous "overengineering".

Capt Claret
22nd Feb 2012, 00:01
I was told during my Douglas/Boeing 717 conversion that many of the functions available to the Boeing FMS were not available to MD due to Copywrite issues, where Boeing requested a certain function from Honeywell and then contracted that this same function not be available to other airframe manufacturers.

Whether this is true I have no way of knowing but the MD11 and B717 share much technology.