PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Transfer Process @ Qatar Airways

Iver
19th Feb 2012, 20:53
:ugh::yuk: At most western airlines, pilots bid aircraft type by seniority. If someone wants to fly the 777, just wait until your seniority allows the bid. I understand that seniority-bidding is not as common in the Middle East and India.

Serious question. How does it work at Qatar? Is it seniority based? Is it who you know? Could you be trapped on one aircraft type if you are not "in favor"? For example, if an A320 FO were inclined to bid off that fleet and into an A330 or upcoming 787, how would that happen - regualr seniority bid?

Given the anxiety created by the exhausting A320 Captain roster in one of the other recent threads, I would imagine some A320 newbies are trying to understand the process to bid off the fleet as soon as practical.

Can people give a "realistic" estimate of how long one would stay on the A320 fleet after arrival if you are allotted that aircraft? Is it based on hours on type (e.g., 2000 hours minimum) or a certain number of years? I realise that if you get an A320 type rating through QR you need to work it off and that may take a certain number of years or hours before you qualify for another fleet bid...

Cheers

gdukkoq
20th Feb 2012, 05:10
If you are a FO on the 320, you must stay 3 years and you will be offered a fleet transfert, usually A340 or A330. Now if you have already more than 5000hrs TT they will offer left seat upgrade as well. So it is your choice really if you want to stay there as captain, because then you will be there for an other 4 to 5 years.
This is straight for QR operation manual, and from my friends working in QR, most decide to change fleet instead of left seat upgrade.

salamalikum2
20th Feb 2012, 06:55
"most decide to change fleet instead of left seat upgrade":=
Not true!

gdukkoq
20th Feb 2012, 07:25
I was talking on my friends experience, I haven't started yet but from outside I'd rather get a left seat upgrade... Now I understand that after 3 years you are very tempted to change. It's a choice and it is not the same for everyone.

UP UP AND ABOVE
20th Feb 2012, 10:32
Seniority is a jocke.

safelife
20th Feb 2012, 11:04
Pro: more money, Airbus FBW command experience
Con: very bad rosters, long waiting time to widebody

The best idea yet is to join on widebody first place..!

Samolin
20th Feb 2012, 12:00
so if you stick around and take the cmd on the 320...
What are the policies for the fleet transfer, will they offer you the F/O position or the cmd position on the 320, 340, 777????

Got my offer letter and waiting my joining date. applied for the F/O position.
time line: about 4 weeks in between every step of the process!

UP UP AND ABOVE
24th Feb 2012, 19:45
Buddy take it this way....Qr has no seniority list, there is lucky list, it all depends on being in the right place at right moment,and believe me right to left on 330/777 til there is an accident, and Qr is really close to it,then heads will fall and all the rules will be back to what it was.....You cannot reinvent the wheel, seniority exists for a reason,and Qr seems not to know it.safe flights and god save the queen :